Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Super Markets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here work for Safeway/Morrisons ?

I have a job interview with them on friday night at 6pm ( i find this so weird why 6pm? ) for a job working with the grocery team filling shelves assisting customers and building promo displays. I just wondered what the interview might be like so i can be more prepared, if they get you to do more than what ive just mentioned and just generally what Morrisons ar eliek to work for ?

Ta :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to a job interview for Morrisons when I was sixteen/seventeen and it was just a really informal, friendly chat asking about my qualifications etc and previous work experience, maybe because it was just for a saturday job though.
    i've been workin at morrisons on groceries for bout a month now, i like it :)
    I went for an interview there a few months ago. It was more for Safeway so it might have changed now, but I was in with a bunch of other applicants and had to fill out a few questionnaires. It was okay though. Then I had to have a 2nd interview, an informal chat with the HR manager. It was alright. I was offered the job but turned it down as I'd been offered one the day before! And my interviews were at 3:30pm and 4pm, I think that's bog standard for them.

Good luck!
    I've worked for Morrisons for a year and a half.

For my interview, I had to fill in some questions just testing my basic maths and English skills - nothing too taxing. Then I had my interview with the personnel manager, which was basically just a really informal chat going over my application form.

She also told me all the important stuff like wages, and asked if there was any department that I definitely didn't want to work on. I dunno if it's the same at all stores, but I think most people at ours apply for a job on one department, then are put in another where they'll 'fit in' best.

I've never worked anywhere else, so I can't really compare, but I enjoy working for Morrisons. I'm in the customer café which is an absolute nightmare of a department, but the people are great and I've never had any problems with anything like being paid on time. I expect it differs from store to store, but if you've got any questions then I'll try my best to answer them with my wealth of knowledge and experience, or something. :)
    Originally posted by Lil Laura I've worked for Morrisons for a year and a half.

For my interview, I had to fill in some questions just testing my basic maths and English skills - nothing too taxing.

:nervous: I worry when you say this because anything maths related is really not my strong point in fact thats an understatement. I hope to god they dont ask me any of those type of questions.
    Then I had my interview with the personnel manager, which was basically just a really informal chat going over my application form.

She also told me all the important stuff like wages, and asked if there was any department that I definitely didn't want to work on. I dunno if it's the same at all stores, but I think most people at ours apply for a job on one department, then are put in another where they'll 'fit in' best.

I've never worked anywhere else, so I can't really compare, but I enjoy working for Morrisons. I'm in the customer café which is an absolute nightmare of a department, but the people are great and I've never had any problems with anything like being paid on time. I expect it differs from store to store, but if you've got any questions then I'll try my best to answer them with my wealth of knowledge and experience, or something. :)

I've applied for the grocery team, found the vacancy on their website for a specific store. I hope then that if i get this job with the expierence i have the
    will keep me in this roll rather than move me elsewhere were they think i'll "fit in".

Hm i better do more thinking about
    How did it go?
    I passed the maths bit in part one yesterday and had to go back today for the one to one. it went quite well, though it turns out that its full time rather than part time but i said i'd be happy doing it. felt like a good interview, hopefully she liked what she saw. Asked me about departments so i said its deffo only shelf filling i want to do in their not till work, which she mentioned was the only department that had part time available.

Just have to wait till monday to find out now.

The hourly rate is crap though :/ £5.05 an hour, i was hoping for nearer £6 an hr. Oh well, need the money & job.

:D

thanks for askin btw
    You might find you start on lower, 'til you've got through your probationary period (three months). But I would've thought she'd have mentioned it to you, so maybe it's different for full time or at different stores.

Did she say it'd be £5.05 an hour whatever department you end up on? Just that that's the rate if you're on tills at our place, and it's £5.00 on every other department. But, again that might be a difference between full time and part time, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm on a measley £4.43 an hour, so you can't complain. :p
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    You might find you start on lower, 'til you've got through your probationary period (three months). But I would've thought she'd have mentioned it to you, so maybe it's different for full time or at different stores.

Did she say it'd be £5.05 an hour whatever department you end up on? Just that that's the rate if you're on tills at our place, and it's £5.00 on every other department. But, again that might be a difference between full time and part time, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm on a measley £4.43 an hour, so you can't complain. :p

She wasnt specific she just said that the hourls rate was £5.05 an hr.

Your right i cant complain when others are on far less :p

We didnt discuss other departments really because i said i only specifically wanted to do shelf filling and helping customers.

She also didnt mention wether that was just the probabtionary period hourly rate so i spose it could go up :chin:
    Ah well, hope it works out ok for you. :thumb:
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Ah well, hope it works out ok for you. :thumb:

Thank you :D

i'll come back to this thread on monday when i knwo if i got it or not :cool:
    Originally posted by rachie004
    In other words I don't want direct contact with customers...

some of us only earn £4.10.. and then don't get paid what we should anyway

I said to the lady interviewing me i didnt mind having some customer interaction... i just didnt want what i used to have to do in dixons. She seemed happy with that... then again appearances can be deceiving :chin:

awk well i'm happy with how it went :D
    fool people into buying stuff? :p

but by the time they've got to the check out they've already decided - it's not like in a clothes shop where they have the tills cluttered with extra 'bits' they want you to buy - gah I hate that

what are we talking about? :p

I have no idea i'm braindead ;)

No but yeah but i never did that to customers :eek: :p

I didnt ;)

And in my old Dixons store the tills were cluttered with loads of other rubbish:p
    well we know you've just spent a fortune with us.. but here do u want to buy some extra tat - by 5 and we'll give ya one half price

if you got dodgy Kev then yes he'd say something like that ;)

If you got me or a couple of others we couldnt get rid fast enough :p
    Just wanted to say £5.05 is a really good wage for just shelf filling. I earn £5 an hour and I work in a factory. You can only really expect £6 if you work nights.
    your rate of pay is quite good for a supermarket-tho I worked for sainsburys who were notoriously bad payers!!

My interview went well as I mentioned customers all the time-I think with interviews, if you can guess whta their focuis is (do research-company websites!), then you can nail an interview. My downfall is with practical things! I can charm but often not carry out things

Glad it went well for you! what sort of hours will you work-like all day 8-5 or something or will it be late shifts? I think most places pay more at lateshifts even if its just like 20p an hour more-so you may even get more than that! ask them!

when will they let you know?
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    your rate of pay is quite good for a supermarket-tho I worked for sainsburys who were notoriously bad payers!!

My interview went well as I mentioned customers all the time-I think with interviews, if you can guess whta their focuis is (do research-company websites!), then you can nail an interview. My downfall is with practical things! I can charm but often not carry out things

Glad it went well for you! what sort of hours will you work-like all day 8-5 or something or will it be late shifts? I think most places pay more at lateshifts even if its just like 20p an hour more-so you may even get more than that! ask them!

when will they let you know?

I find out 2moro at some point wether i have got it or not. There are af ew things that have me thinking i dont want this job now, which i wont go into atm.

My friend who works fro tesco in home shopping earns over £6, he's part time and does 10-2.30, thats what i want :D and he tells me they are looking for staff too :D ..

The hours are full time, she specifically mentioned 39 hrs 5/7 days. Its not really much better than what i was on with Dixons and that was really crap money tbh.

Hm im fearful about this customer stuff, i migth have said i dont want to really deal with customers :nervous:
    Tesco are good to work for, I earn £5.66ph. But that's the highest it'll be..I'm over 18, been there over a year (3 infact!) and all the rest. I work on checkouts though, and know that the shelf stackers earn slightly less. It's something to do with whether you handle money or not I'm told. I know night pay is slightly better, as is sundays. :)
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Tesco are good to work for, I earn £5.66ph. But that's the highest it'll be..I'm over 18, been there over a year (3 infact!) and all the rest. I work on checkouts though, and know that the shelf stackers earn slightly less. It's something to do with whether you handle money or not I'm told. I know night pay is slightly better, as is sundays. :)

Yep i was told sundays would be at time and a half.

I'd still rather work for tesco than safeway/Morrisons theres a lot of hasle invovled if i get this job
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Yep i was told sundays would be at time and a half.

I'd still rather work for tesco than safeway/Morrisons theres a lot of hasle invovled if i get this job

Hassle with stacking shelves?

It maybe varies from supermarket to supermarket but you'll probably end up getting trained on checkouts even if you're a shelf stacker. This is for when the checkouts are busy and don't have enough staff. :\
    Hassle with stacking shelves?

It maybe varies from supermarket to supermarket but you'll probably end up getting trained on checkouts even if you're a shelf stacker. This is for when the checkouts are busy and don't have enough staff. :\

No lol not with that. Its travel mainly.

I told the woman who did my interview that i am do not in anyway want to do checkout work, i made that very clear lol.

I'd rather work for tesco becaus ethey pay better, the hours watch what i want and the store is literally right round the corner from here :D .. doubt id get a job their though tbh
    why do you all get time and a half on a sunday

gah this is sooo unfair /throws a kevin strop

dunno but i'm not complaining! £8.49ph isn't bad. :D
    doubt id get a job their though tbh

Why?

You won't if you think like that.

It's perhaps also not recommended to say 'I don't like doing this..' or something along those lines.
    Why?

You won't if you think like that.

It's perhaps also not recommended to say 'I don't like doing this..' or something along those lines.

They havent actually advertised for the vacancy yet as the girl hasnt quite left.

Im mor epositive than i made out with that comment lol
    They havent actually advertised for the vacancy yet as the girl hasnt quite left.

Im mor epositive than i made out with that comment lol

It doesn't do any harm to send off a CV, that way they'll have you on the system ready for when a job comes up.

Even if you end up taking a job on checkouts, you can still move departments if a vacancy arises. You just need to get your foot in the door.
    :crying:

Yeah I don't like you anymore :p

Bitter, much? ;):p
    It doesn't do any harm to send off a CV, that way they'll have you on the system ready for when a job comes up.

Even if you end up taking a job on checkouts, you can still move departments if a vacancy arises. You just need to get your foot in the door.

tbh i applied back in august and had to wait till september before i got a letter back saying no to me. About a month later i sent in a cv again, heard nothing. Think i handed in ANOTHER cv and again heard nothing....

I'll keep trying, pereverence pays off :D
    tbh i applied back in august and had to wait till september before i got a letter back saying no to me. About a month later i sent in a cv again, heard nothing. Think i handed in ANOTHER cv and again heard nothing....

I'll keep trying, pereverence pays off :D

No, you'll just start annoying them!

Perhaps you need to look at your CV, make a few changes? It's no use sending the same one off numerous times!
    is it THAT obvious...

I'm sooo in the wrong industry

It's not bad for part time work to earn a bit of money, the work's hardly hard. The only hard bit is the customers. I couldn't do it full time though. Yuck.
    Just to let you know ..

I got offered the job, i accepted it

4 hour induction on thursday and then i'll find out my shifts

I'm all excited :hyper: :D