Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job Seeker's Allowance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was told yesterday by my career advisor, that I'm entitled to Job Seeker's Allowance. So I phoned them and booked my 'interview' but they could only give me one for the 17th Jan.
Is there a possibility they'd backdate my allowance? Because in those 2 weeks I'm waiting for an interview, I could/should be receiving the £44 a week... if that makes sense?

Ilora x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From what I know, Jobseekers Allowance starts on the day of your interview, as that is the date you sign to say you are unemployed and seeking work (Jobseekers Agreement). They won't give you JSA for the first 3 days of that claim either. But as they can't give you an interview until the 17th that seems majorly unfair!

Jobseekers Allowance

Theres the official page, doesn't seem to go into a lot of detail though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm trying to remember what i was told when i asked about this. Part of me thinks i was told i would have to prove i was entitled to have it backdated ie prove i searched for work, what i did that kinda thing but dont quote me on that because im not 100%.

*goes to check* yeah after a wee search i found this on another website :
    They have to make a statement about the types of things they have been doing to find work during the relevant period, preferably with supportive evidence attached.

I did a search and this
    website came up, thats the link to the forums that i think would be most relevent to your question, have a browse i found interestinfg info so i reckon you should.

Hope some of that helps.

Rich :)

ETA: it might not be 100% related as its for current workers etc but you should still find it useful as there seems to be people asking relevent questions around that site about backdating