Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I want to go to Asia..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
And help in the relief of the tsunami.

I know this sounds stupid do any companies pay for your flight out there?

I know Britannia are running mercy flights (I do their tech support)

If not I am going to see if I can get sponsored to go by all my work colleagues (company is huge) - anyone coming? lol.

Seriously though I am going to go and help - I am determined.

Help me out somehow if you can - I will keep you all posted.

Phil/Big Daddy ;)

Comments

• Options
    Re: I want to go to Asia..
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    And help in the relief of the tsunami.

I know this sounds stupid do any companies pay for your flight out there?

I know Britannia are running mercy flights (I do their tech support)

If not I am going to see if I can get sponsored to go by all my work colleagues (company is huge) - anyone coming? lol.

Seriously though I am going to go and help - I am determined.

Help me out somehow if you can - I will keep you all posted.

Phil/Big Daddy ;)

have you thought of signing up for the british red cross? as far as i know they are always in need of volenteers looking to use their spare time in helping out in other countries........not sure how you would go about it though, but i recon they would fly you out there and back......id love to help them.....
  • Options
    No I haven't because I can't really up and go at the drop of a hat, I've got an 8 week old little boy see... but this has really upset me - I just want to put at least 2 weeks of my life into something worth while....
  • Options
    how about a local food and clothing collection to help aid people, im thinking of asking my childrens schools to set them up in the new term if they havent already...
  • Options
    you are best helping out over there, people who get sent out by red cross have had a lot of training, as have other volunteers, and if you are not to their standard, you would be simply eating food that could be used for s starving homeless person

not meant in a nasty way
  • Options
    You're probably best off doing something over here like as suggested collecting donations of money and clothes and getting your fellow colleueges in on it ... if your company is big then you coul dend up helping a lot more people that way then going over there yourself.

I'd say right now the most needed people to have over there are those with medical skills to help stablise people until the rebuilding, relocation efforts are underway.
  • Options
    Id recommend doing fundraising over here. Organise something and try and raise some much needed funds. Your family need you over here, and as much as your intentions are honourable, youre not a doctor or a nurse or emergency worker so your use would be limited although I can definitely understand why you would want to do your bit. I would too. Ask your work to do something for the cause too.
    I asked mine yesterday and theyre starting a campaign today and most people I know have made donations themselves individually of whatever they can afford.
    Money is what they need.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry to spam but some of offices just North of London (Birmingham, Milton Keynes, Luton etc) are all doing collections for blankets and the like. Hopefully we can get everywhere to do it.

http://www.travelextras.com/aid/
  • Options
    I get what you're all saying but the general "clean up" operation must be huge, I mean look at after the twin towers, and that was nothing on this scale...

I dunno - I'll give it some thought, cheers everyone..
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    No I haven't because I can't really up and go at the drop of a hat, I've got an 8 week old little boy see... but this has really upset me - I just want to put at least 2 weeks of my life into something worth while....

Looking after your own child is worthwhile.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Looking after your own child is worthwhile.
    it sure is. Your girlfriend needs you right now. Your baby is so small. You cant go and leave him like that, no matter how worthwhile the intentions. It wouldnt be fair.
  • Options
    It's a noble cause... but seeing dead bodies on the street?

I'd love to go, but dunno if I can hack it...
  • Options
    if you want to do something worthwhile, volunteer for a charity closer to home. there are a lot of needy people everywhere in the world.
  • Options
    yeah... but the tsunami oddly enough has brought everyone together
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    whats odd about it?
    ten countries being hammered into the dust of this earth in one single moment does i believe make the rest of humanity feel very vulnerable ....
  • Options
    and thats just natural disasters
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

it's because no one's to blame, i think.

i'm not condemning it, i think it's fantastic that the world has suddenly become so generous. i gave what i had to spare, and i'd encourage anyone else to do the same.

i just don't think we should forget that it's not just those ten countries that need help.
  • Options
    Just to add something, Tsunami related : I was immensely PISSED OFF at work today. A lady came in, wanting to buy make up. She told me how she had been in the maldives (not the worst hit but suffered still - about 80 lives lost there so far) and she said how everything she took was ruined. But it was like, she told me how she was having breakfast at the time, returned to her room and it was waist deep in water and everything was floating around but it was this what she said to me :

"I mean no one died around me or anything but I lost half my shoes and all my make up was ruined"

This morning when I left 124, 622 people were confirmed dead. The people out there are seeing the mangled corpses of their children, mothers, fathers, siblings in the streets, drifiting in the waters and go knows where else. They're dying of disease with aid taking a while to reach them. Yes. I sympathise so much more with you love. You've lost all your shoes and you want to keep the receipts in your purse because you're claiming everything back off the insurance so you don't actually lose anything money wise. On the news today, staff at a hotel resort said how customers complained because food service was slow and there was not enough being done to clean the rooms and corridors of the hotel. Some people are the most selfish, ungrateful FUCKS that I've ever known.

Malt Munk :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by malteser monkay

"I mean no one died around me or anything but I lost half my shoes and all my make up was ruined"

some people really dont deserve to live. :no:

if it was me make up and shoes would be the last thing on my mind
  • Options
    This woman must have been been about 45 - they shake their heads at kids these days for being so selfish and self-involved! Her mother said, cause she saw my facial expression I gave after that remark, "Of course you're just happy to be alive and thankful it was worse"

"Oh yes of course...I'll have that one there please, and I could I have the receipt in the bag, I'm doing my shopping today and claiming all of it off the insurance"

Annoyed me senseless. At work I appeared to wierd out the younger girls I work with. I was like, churning out figures for the different locations and stuff and the older consultant was like "You're like me, you go home and the first thing you watch is the news- it's just constantly on in our house too" and the 16-17 year olds are all like :eek2: about it all. I was talking to my bf about how devastating it was and how many were dead, he was like "Um...what the hell happened?"...he hadn't watched the news, doesn't really read papers so he was totally oblivious...!!

Malt xx
  • Options
    Originally said by woman who needs to think more carefully about her life

"Oh yes of course...I'll have that one there please, and I could I have the receipt in the bag, I'm doing my shopping today and claiming all of it off the insurance"

do insurance companies cover natural disasters?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    do insurance companies cover natural disasters?

generally not, i thought. 'act of god' and all that. they don't cover war or terrorism either, do they?
  • Options
    I dont' think so.

Cheese - Oxfam want 10,000 peopel to volunteer in the UK to help them with all the donations they have recieved in local shops - you could do that and stay at home

xxxx
  • Options
    We want to go to Asia too

I have read all the comments so far. Yes yes yes we all hate ungrateful people who care more about shoes & make up than people who's lives have been simply devestated by this disaster, It beggars belief that anyone could not be sympathetic right now. But for the grace of god there goes I. Of course there are people struggling with life in every corner of the world even here at home in the Uk but disasters like this tear at your heart and your conscience especially when we have all indulged with Christmas. So we all do our bit that might be at home, giving money or offering aid or it might be volunteering or wanting to volunteer to actually go out there. My partner and I would like to actually go out to Asia to help. Yes we have fundraised here but yes we would like to devote some time over the coming months to offer our physical aid. We are aware that we don't want to be a burden so are searching like a lot of other people for an organisation or project to be co-ordinated with. If you feel this way don't let anyone diminish your desire to help. If you don't ever actually get out there at least the desire is there & it may prompt you to offer your time here at home. There will be plenty of opportunity to aid in the coming months even years in the rebuilding of Asia and there are many other communities looking for help - perhaps this disaster will begin to change the way we all live and think not just right now but for the future. make us more aware of others and more willing to help, better citizens, more humanitarium, less selfish. Shame really that it takes something like this but maybe in 2005 after the war and poverty of 2004 and desolation that we seemed to face as humans maybe its time to fight back.... fight for humanity !!

ok off soap box now. keep donating & stay in touch those that want to volunteer. There is a growing group of us. Info on my site http://www.tonya.me.uk/Disaster/tonya_asia.htm

tonya
  • Options
    sure all they need are professional medical people and rescue people. but there are so many orphans, so many children who just need to be looked after, fed and cared for, houses to be rebuilt. 95% of my family live in malaysia, which was not the worse hit, about 80 people died, i speak to my parents everyday and all they say is how much help everyone needs. 6 of my close friends are missing presumed dead. oh how i want to go back there and help, I don't care that i am not a professonial, noone is going to decline help that they so desperately need. Of course as many doctors as poss are needed, but you don't need to be a doctor or a firefighter or a rescuer to be able to hammer nail through wood to build houses for the thousands homeless. At the end of the day i don't think it matters what your profession is, everyone can help, donating over here or help rebuild over there.