Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Elegance or riot grrlness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm thinking about a slight style change

either gothic elegance: think velvet jackets and long skirts....kinda 30's chíc with little bits to added

or really going for the whole masculine thing yet in a punkyish/industrial way, so fitted suit jackets and skirts over trousers and stuff.....

i'd really like to do the second one and dye my hair back to black, but i don't know how i can make it look sexy without being bimboish....

help!

Comments

• Options
    ...both of those sound too much like topshops latest styles if you ask me...

Peace
  • Options
    i think you'd look like a twat either way

might as well get yourself a crochet poncho and big floppy hat :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

LMAO!!!!
  • Options

what so should i just wear mini skirts that show my arse and tiny tops that show off every thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    ...both of those sound too much like topshops latest styles if you ask me...

Agree... for myself since a few years ive been "blending" both styles... sometimes a goth coat with a long skirt and stuff but then with some Converse for example, its pretty cool:P
  • Options
    riot grrl look definately over the gothicy type look.

friends have generally done both and looked better with that option. :yes:
  • Options
    Personally, I do a bit of both. I tend to wear velvet brocade jackets, with black combat trousers, and new rocks or black cowboy boots and a plain black top from somewhere like new look or river island.

I wouldn't stick yourself in a box, I'd just have a play around and see what works and what doesn't. Most of all, be yourself.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    what so should i just wear mini skirts that show my arse and tiny tops that show off every thing.

Oh I forgot, those of us who don't like gothic clothing are all automatically advocates of the reveal everything golden hoop earring chav style.
  • Options
    The 30's = depression = not sexy. Honestly, when was the last time you heard anyone from the 30's described as sexy? Infact whenever I see a film set in the 30's on TV I can literally feel myself turning gayer the longer the women are on screen.

The very fact you described the other look as masculine kinda says you're not going to acheive sexy no matter how hard you try.

If 'sexy' is what you're going for, look elsewhere.

Why limit yourself to the gothy/grungy/industrial side of things in the first place? Why not actually try a style change? One that is sexy.
  • Options
    Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    so fitted suit jackets and trousers and stuff.....

help!

Right.

Do that, with quirky tshirts, skinny scarves and intricate jewellery. Ad a sequin belt, and funky pumps and you'd look half decent.

None of this skirt over trousers shindig. Skousers are sooooo 8 years ago, love.

Don't dye your hair black, go deep mahogany for a change. Bit of blusher and a wee bit of gloss and mascara and you're all set.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    Originally posted by 1983
    Right.

Ad a sequin belt, and funky pumps and you'd look half decent.

Sequins are the devils work:yuck:

Though I agree with the rest.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    None of this skirt over trousers shindig. Skousers are sooooo 8 years ago, love.

lies! :(

it's actually about 12 years ago, but if you do it right, it still looks good, and i will not be told differently.

dress how you want. all the trendy topshop boys might think you look like a 'silly goff', but do you really care? I can hardly contain myself laughing at some of the things that 'fashionble' people wear these days.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    Originally posted by Zella
    Sequins are the devils work:yuck:

Though I agree with the rest.

Haha, noooo sequin belts/scarves are sexxeh. :D
    it's actually about 12 years ago, but if you do it right, it still looks good, and i will not be told differently.

Ehh, each to their own. I think it looks daft.

Anyhoo, end of the day as Kaff says you can only dress as you want. Just a few pointers.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    lies! :(

dress how you want. all the trendy topshop boys might think you look like a 'silly goff', but do you really care? I can hardly contain myself laughing at some of the things that 'fashionble' people wear these days.

well, the surtain person i'm trtying to impress would much rather me look like a "sily goff" than a chav prattess....

i think clothes wise i just need to have a good look.

make up i haven't a clue about though......
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness

What do you normally use?
  • Options
    Scousers....god i used to wear them too school :rolleyes: i thought i was damn cool with it though, and it would have been '97-'98 ish
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    What do you normally use?

powder, black eyeliner......maybe a bit of lipstick.....not much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    you're changing yourself to impress a certain someone?

unless it's someone important, i.e. a employer/bank manager/parole bored then you get deeper by the second

i'm not changing myself.

i've just been wearing my crappy clothes that i wear for college and going around the house for the past year....and i fancy a change...

and what exactly do you mean by i get deeper by the second??
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Elegance or riot grrlness
    powder, black eyeliner......maybe a bit of lipstick.....not much.

Hrm. I wear foundation, powder, blusher, eyeshadow, and mascara and eyeliner. Sounds like it's caked on but it's natural as they come.

Try a bit of blusher for colour, and swap your lipstick for Nivea Lipcare gloss. Bit of mascara, not piled on. Keep your eyeliner for the inside of your eyelid, rather than out.
  • Options
    i don't own such a thing as lip gloss.....

but i may invest in some tomorrow...
  • Options
    i don't own such a thing as lip gloss.....

but i may invest in some tomorrow...

I'd recommend Nivea Lip Care gloss, moisturises your lips at the same time, and a fabby start off for lipgloss. :D
  • Options
    I'd recommend Nivea Lip Care gloss, moisturises your lips at the same time, and a fabby start off for lipgloss. :D

i'll have a look to see if i can get that out here.
  • Options
    well, the surtain person i'm trtying to impress would much rather me look like a "sily goff" than a chav prattess....

You do know there is a middle ground? You keep talking like if you don't wear goth clothes that makes you a chav.
  • Options
    are you only changing your look to impress someone then? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    are you only changing your look to impress someone then? :rolleyes:

And what? We've all done it. It's the reason 90% of the girls in Britain get dressed up like daft tarts to go clubbing week after week.

If that was their normal look, they'd dress like that daily. Ergo, if they weren't trying to impress someone they wouldn't bother at all.

BTW, unless the guy is gay he reaaally isn't gonna be impressed by the 'masculine' look, and unless he's Al Capone he isn't gonna be impressed by the other.
  • Options
    Why dont you just have a rummage in your waredrobe and pull out the stuff you like... while you are at it you could send the stuff you dont want anymore to the Asia appeal...Then go and have a look round the shops and just choose things you like, not ones like are particularly "themed". Basically just wear whatever you like...you will look WAY sexier if you look like you are comfortable and havent tried too hard :)

You could go buy a fitted jacket or something though...fitted things always make me feel better than the baggy shit i bum about the house in :)

If you have good skin, you could use some tinted moisturiser and power. Play about with your eyeliner...lots of different effects can be achieved using it. If its in pencil form, buy a smudger...it softens the line and can "wing" it out at the sides. You could get some coloured eyeshadow too...i like the Urban Decay stuff. Dont be afraid to use bright colours, just use it more sparingly than you would with a muted colour. Whack on some lip gloss...vaseline does the job...and you are good to go :)

(Other people need to lay off this girl...so she wants to smarten up her look a bit? Big fucking deal. If her interest in someone is her motivation for it then so be it. Can you honestly say that you have never tried to impress someone through the use of clothes? Never bought a new top because you know that you are going to see X, Y or Z tonight? I just think if you cant say anything constructive on this website then dont bother...its not clever to have a large post count)
  • Options

i think clothes wise i just need to have a good look.

well just wear wot suits you

i know people who wear out of fashion style but as they look good in it its all that matters
    its all about pulling the look off well

thats wot i do, i jsut wear whatever and if it seems to fit, i might do it again - anyone who doesnt follow trends like the plague likes it, and im not on about 'silly goffs' im on about people who wear clothes that suit them :D