Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

School system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey everyone!

I live in Serbia, so i'm not familiar with the British school system. Can someone explain it to me? I'm 17 now and my ambition is to be an engineer in a field related to electronics. What do you call it at all? I'd like to study in England, so where do i look? Is it some university? Are there such schools there or is it different?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OK, I'll give this one a try. The system starts at primary school, from the ages of 4 to 11. At this age, you switch over to a secondary school until 16. Now, as you're 17, I don't think you'll be able to go to university yet. So, one course of action would be to take an NVQ course. (You'll come across several types of qualifications, nmrmak. They're very confusing.) I do know of a few people in my area who work in Electronics, so I'll try and contact them to get you some more information.
    nmrmak, contact the Serb British Council, they will be able to guide yu throug the process of school-finding and applications.
    Thank you for your responses.
    Even tho' i'm 17, we get quite a lot of education here, and you wouldn't believe what things i have to learn. At my age, i have 12 subjects. And no, they aren't easy at all. I think we really learn too much, as i compared it with other countries.

What is the age when you're "supposed" to go to uni? What exams do you have to pass in order to do so? Is there such a thing as a uni where you study electrotechnics? What do you call it? ARRRGH!!! :D

I'd really like to study over there. I hope i have the language capabilities, and i'll be able to polish my pronunciation a bit, since it sucks great time.
    contact the Serb British Council
    What do you mean by the Serb British Council? The british embassy here or something else?
    British Council take care of what you want to know.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/yugoslavia.htm
    Yep, listen to Jacqui :)

Also, as long as you have the appropriate qualifications, you can go to uni at any age. they'll want your grades you've already recieved, and a few references to say how good you'll be for their course.
    Originally posted by bad seed
    You can do a degree in electrical and electronic engineering at a lot of universities here. (if that's what you're after).

I'm pretty sure your English will be good enough :)
    Yes, that's what i am after. I really like engineering, it's just a matter of where i will study it.
    British Council take care of what you want to know.
    Thank you very much for the link, i'm looking through the page just now.
    I'm probably taking the CAE (certificate in advanced English) first. I'm going to see what i have to do to apply for it tomorrow. I don't know what do they mean by 'advanced' there. Any ideas if i should take advanced or First Certificate?

Or is this complete nonsense to you? Do you even know what i am talking about?:)
    I'm really confused with all those abbreviations... Like GCSE. What the... does it mean at all? Could you list some common abbreviations, or will you just call me a lazy bastard and tell me to stfw (search the f*kin web)???
    Originally posted by nmrmak
    I'm really confused with all those abbreviations... Like GCSE. What the... does it mean at all? Could you list some common abbreviations

GCSE: General Certificate of Secondary Education (you can gain one in each subject you study and take the GCSE exams when you are in the fifth year of secondary school aged 15/16 depending when your birthday is! After this you can leave school or continue to A-Levels)

Try this link for any others you are unsure of. :)
    Try this link for any others you are unsure of.
    Wow. Couldn't be any better. Thanks a lot! :D
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    Yep, listen to Jacqui :)

Also, as long as you have the appropriate qualifications, you can go to uni at any age. they'll want your grades you've already recieved, and a few references to say how good you'll be for their course.
    You have to be 18 though, but you can go any age after that.
    Um...
    What exactly is Bachelor's and MA?
    Could you somehow describe it? I know it's hard, but please do try.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Not true. In theory you can attend at any age as long as the university in question will accept you. Which is how all these child prodigies finish their MA before I've even finished my BA. A lot of Scottish students start university aged 17 because of the structure of their education system.
    Ah I forgot about child prodigies, and i didn't know that about Scottish students.
    I thought myself that you needed to be 18 mostly because of things like taking out loans, but I guess there are ways to get round that.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Not true. In theory you can attend at any age as long as the university in question will accept you. Which is how all these child prodigies finish their MA before I've even finished my BA. A lot of Scottish students start university aged 17 because of the structure of their education system.

:yes:

I am Scottish and started Uni at 17 because of the system. My friend started Uni at 16 because of the Scottish system too.
    Originally posted by bad seed
    University degrees are arranged as Batchelors (BA/BSc etc.), Masters (MA/MSc/MPhil etc.) and Doctorates (PhD/DPhil etc.).

A Batchelors degree is the first degree that you do. If you do it well enough, you can do a Masters...if you do even better, you can do a doctorate (PhD and suchlike).

You (in the vast majority of cases) need to start with a batchelors degree.

Does that make any sense? :)
    Thanks, it makes sense very much. It's similar here, I thought it was completely different. All we do is call those degrees differently.