Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eurasia

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    You have REPEATEDLY claimed that Turkey should not be allowed to join the EU under the current membership rules. You HAVE defined who should be in the EU i.e as far as your concerned not Turkey, and you evidently DO care otherwise you wouldn't be posting in this thread.
    Are you capable of raising a coherent point without going off on a tangent?

You're confused. I've said that the EU would have to turn a blind eye to Turkey's Human Right's abuses to admit them, yes, but that's not contradicted by my last post is it?. And I simply haven't defined who should be in the EU. I've posted that the EU would bend, change or ignore rules to accept new members as it suits. By definition then, anybody might join! As to my feelings about whether or not Turkey joins, I was quite explicit- "I have mixed feelings". My interest in the thread is primarily a concern that neocon pressure may mean that Turkey is admitted against the will of European citizens (also made quite clear in my posts). I don't have any special gift for logic, but when I argue with someone's posts I have the sense to argue with what they've posted and not mouth off if I'm not sure I've got things right. Read the posts more carefully you big headed clown.
    Originally posted by nckdn
    I've said that the EU would have to turn a blind eye to Turkey's Human Right's abuses to admit them, yes, but that's not contradicted by my last post is it?

This would be the same Turkey that is a signatory to the Europpean Convention on HUMAN RIGHTS, non?

:banghead:
    Originally posted by Kermit
    This would be the same Turkey that is a signatory to the Europpean Convention on HUMAN RIGHTS, non?

:banghead:

Yes, the same Turkey. Whose appalling Human Rights record (rather than aspirations) the EU would have to ignore to admit them membership. It should be me using the headbanging graphic.
    Yes, the same Turkey. Whose appalling Human Rights record (rather than aspirations) the EU would have to ignore to admit them membership. It should be me using the headbanging graphic.

Unless of course they could claim that they see improvements

I wonder why it's in the business section? :rolleyes:

Of course, the UK and US have had to give up on Human Rights in the face of terror, right?
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Unless of course they could claim that they see improvements

I wonder why it's in the business section? :rolleyes:

Of course, the UK and US have had to give up on Human Rights in the face of terror, right?

What terror? What Human Rights? What's this to do with Turkey and EU membership? All unstated and unclear. freethepeeps do us a favour and don't assume your posts are clever enough that we'll all simply agree with 'em. The eyerolls @ the 'business section? Pass! What are you saying exactly? I can guess but I can't be sure, please be explicit. You're one of the better informed posters, so you should understand that we're not all as quick to grasp your unspoken assumptions. Explain your posts a little better please. I don't really know what you're saying, if anything. Be explicit even if it's obvious to you - it'll save a lot of misunderstanding for thickos like me.
    What terror? What Human Rights? What's this to do with Turkey and EU membership?

It was clear enough to me, but then I always assumed that most racists lacked the intellect to discuss anything properly.

The point he was making was that the EU believes that improvements are being made with regards Turkey's human rights record. This is believed to be sufficient to allow entry.

The second point being made was that the UK's recent record on human rights hasn't been wonderful and yet we are still a member of the EU...

Once again, it appears that your concerns have more to do with the number of Muslims involved that in anything relevant...
    but then I always assumed that most racists lacked the intellect to discuss anything properly.

Do this at your peril. After all , did not Luddendorf and the Weimar elite underestimate Hitler and the Nazis? Only to have been usurped by them.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    It was clear enough to me, but then I always assumed that most racists lacked the intellect to discuss anything properly.
    The point he was making was that the EU believes that improvements are being made with regards Turkey's human rights record. This is believed to be sufficient to allow entry.
    The second point being made was that the UK's recent record on human rights hasn't been wonderful and yet we are still a member of the EU...
    Once again, it appears that your concerns have more to do with the number of Muslims involved that in anything relevant...

Yeah, that's what I first thought he intended us to understand too. But it's not explicit is it, and it's already established in the thread that Turkey is 'claiming' improvements in it's human rights record, and that even if Turkey's (or the UK's) human rights reality didn't match the rhetoric, the EU might not have much concern. So why would freethepeeps simply repeat this? And if so, is the 'business section' question meaningless? He went to the effort of typing it and choosing the eyerolling graphic, presumably he means something? I wondered if the eyerolls indicated a belief that business interests rather than human rights issues would be more of a factor in the decision whether to admit Turkey. If that's not his meaning I don't know what is - so I asked him. It wasn't unreasonable of me to ask for clarification, I don't see why you should care. Having said that, even if you're explicit people can come along and blatantly misrepresent your opinions. As you have mine. Wasn't that the reason for your post?

And as The Matadore points out, you shouldn't underestimate racists. No doubt many of the great thinkers have been racist by today's standards. And if even I'm racist (by your standards) you shouldn't underestimate how many racists there are. I'm a really nice guy who doesn't hate anybody, even you.
    I'm a really nice guy who doesn't hate anybody, even you.

:lol:
    Yeah, that's what I first thought he intended us to understand too. But it's not explicit is it, and it's already established in the thread that Turkey is 'claiming' improvements in it's human rights record, and that even if Turkey's (or the UK's) human rights reality didn't match the rhetoric, the EU might not have much concern. So why would freethepeeps simply repeat this?

It really annoys me that your posts are so i incredibly stupid that I have to go through it point by point over things that don't really matter because for some reason you persist on going off on a tangent in every single post you make.

freethepeeps didn't repeat anything. He brought up the fact that Turkey's human rights laws were improving.

Why you have taken issue with this?
    And if so, is the 'business section' question meaningless? He went to the effort of typing it and choosing the eyerolling graphic, presumably he means something? I wondered if the eyerolls indicated a belief that business interests rather than human rights issues would be more of a factor in the decision whether to admit Turkey.If that's not his meaning I don't know what is - so I asked him. It wasn't unreasonable of me to ask for clarification, I don't see why you should care. Having said that, even if you're explicit people can come along and blatantly misrepresent your opinions. As you have mine. Wasn't that the reason for your post?

For gods sake why are you wasting our time going on about this? It's fucking irrelavent. He's not trying to make some kind of clandestine point. What the hell is wrong with you? This has got nothing to do with the topic and yet most of your post is dedicated to it.
    And as The Matadore points out, you shouldn't underestimate racists. No doubt many of the great thinkers have been racist by today's standards. And if even I'm racist (by your standards) you shouldn't underestimate how many racists there are. I'm a really nice guy who doesn't hate anybody, even you.

Thats great. But again completely irrelavent.
    The main problem I find with nckdn's posts is that they appear to say a lot on the surface, but when looked at more closely, they are a confused mess that don't actually say much at all.