Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mum blames herself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've never had a fantastic relationship with my Mum theres always been a lot of arguments. She has also never treated me like an adult namely because I was born 4 months early, nearly died lots and have been left with a slight disability. Shes been really really down off late crying everyday or getting upset at the smallest thing but she never confides in me (probably either because I'm family or because she doesn't see me as an equal adult). Shes been getting on really well with my bloke and last night he told me that she had told him that she blames herself for me being disabled and really beats herself up about it. this has really thrown me as I so know its not her fault but just one of those things. I remember when I was 13 having a real go at her cos I found out she didn't stop smoking completely when she was pregnant with me and yelling at her that I hated her and it was all her fault. Thing is it was a fault at the hospital that caused me to be born early (a test gone wrong).

Its really thrown me I dont really know what to do or think and it really hurts that she is feeling this way. Last night she started crying and saying she was a failure. I told her not to be silly and she was my mum and I loved her. She just started crying harder. I dunno what to do or think

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    Initially, it would appear your mother has been keeping her emotions hidden for a long time. Her tears are possibly a way of releasing them. I'm not sure what else to say on that. Emotions seem to have been suppressed until they could be suppressed no more.
  • Options
    How old are you? :x
  • Options
    Originally posted by not_an_angel
    How old are you? :x
    Check my profile for the answer to that.
  • Options

I think she was asking Rainbow Phoenix cause she said she was 13 when she said certain things and I was wondering how many years have passed also since that was said :)

Maybe when you said all that about hating her, blaming her smoking for it etc...it stuck with her. Or maybe her guilt for not being able to make your world easier and you having a disability is something she feels she can't help with and feels like she should be accounted for. I don't know but I'm not overally close to my mama, but in times like that, I've sat my mother down before now and spoken to her maturely - said my sorrys and released some of the pressures she feels about my brother. My brother has always pushed me away from my mum so she feels guilt for the different ways in which were raised and how he now treats her like shit and for no real reason to her, I treat her real good! She needs to hear it from you and it might be time to put on a brave face, sit her down and talk to her because she's blatently never dealt with all her emotions about it properly.

Malt xxx :)
  • Options
    Rainbow Phoenix, I think you may just have to accept that there's not much you can do about this one, apart from reassure her if and when she talks to you. I doubt very sincerely that you caused her to feel this way, she's probably been feeling it since you were born. My son has a very small thing wrong with him which may or may not cause him a few problems as he grows, and I feel responsible for that, even though logically I know I couldn't possibly be. But that knowledge doesn't alter the emotion, I'm afraid.

When you're a mother guilt comes with the territory.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your replies I feel a little better about the situation. Miffy I guess you're right guilt and worry is all part of being a Mum and I guess if Mum didn't worry about my disability she would find something else to worry about. Stargalaxy I and a lot of other people think she is suffering from severe depression so you are right about the emotions its just hard to get her to see for herself.

I'm 26 so the convo where I had a go at her was 13 years ago.I think I'll see how things go I cant really talk to her about it because she would then know my bloke had told her and it might stop her from confiding in him in future and right now I think she needs someone she can let things out to (unfortunately my Dad is of the 'stop crying its pointless and doesn't solve anything' type)

cheers again]

Phoenix
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy

NOT you... :eek2:
    Originally posted by Rainbow Phoenix
    I'm 26

So I guess you only have to show her you are actually 26...

Are you only child? If you are, so I think things are more difficult...