Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Muse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
what genre of music are they considered to be in?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Rock?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Indie rock with a dash of operatic razamtaz perhaps?

Why do you ask?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Hardcore death Scandanavia metal.
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Indie rock with a dash of operatic razamtaz perhaps?

Why do you ask?

lol..
    you'll probably laugh...

but i can be a little OCD sometimes..

and after i rip my CDs into my mac.. i like to categorize it and whatnot.. especially b/c it makes it easier to find music on my Ipod...

so i just wanted to know what genre i should put in?
    What do genre you consider Muse as?

That's all that counts, dear.

Genres aren't that important anyway, they really are only another way of classifying things like MP3s.

I'd class them as shite, but just call them rock or something :thumb:
    distorted indie rock with a tinge of gothic???? saw them twice, fucking excellent, Americans don't know what they're missing half the time.
    Progessive Pretentious Bullshit?
    Originally posted by The Matadore

it may seem pretentiuos but there is a whole sub-text to their lyrics, well i found a weird meaning under some of their songs anyway.
    Originally posted by turlough
    Americans don't know what they're missing half the time.

hwat does that have to do with anything??
    i class muse as quite good. not excellent but i have perverted taste genre......

each to there own

i think the new prodigy album is fucking amazing (not better than seeing them live though) but i think that the new rammstein album is the same........if not better......:S
    and after i rip my CDs into my mac.. i like to categorize it and whatnot.. especially b/c it makes it easier to find music on my Ipod...

SAME WITH ME!!!;)

I'd probably say alternative rock or something like that. That's what i put them under anyway...
    Originally posted by Reese_86
    hwat does that have to do with anything??

ooh you on your period or something, i'm just saying that there's loads of music out there but most americans would prefer to listen to destineys child or shit like that
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    What do genre you consider Muse as?

That's all that counts, dear.

You reaaally need to get off the "genres are so evil :(" bandwagon. Genres are necessary, end of.

Anyway, Muse are "indie-rock" - trust me.
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    You reaaally need to get off the "genres are so evil :(" bandwagon. Genres are necessary, end of.

Anyway, Muse are "indie-rock" - trust me.

lol..
    k.

how do you determine that??
    most americans would prefer to listen to destineys child or shit like that

So would most Brits....
    Originally posted by turlough
    ooh you on your period or something, i'm just saying that there's loads of music out there but most americans would prefer to listen to destineys child or shit like that

.... what does my period have to do with anything??

how do you know what "most" americans listen to?
    I've got them classed as Rock and Alternative rock

How are they necessary?

They're only really useful for classifying music on MP3 playlists, and even then it's all down to personal definition of what type of music belongs in which genre. Even in HMV, you only really need to know loosely what type of music a genre is (i.e guitar based) to be able to find the CD really quickly.

They aren't necessary at all, anybody who says they are is wrong.
    So would most Brits....

:lol: :yes:
    Originally posted by Reese_86
    .... what does my period have to do with anything??

how do you know what "most" americans listen to?

:eek2: sorry but please shut up, i made a joke, i wasn't serious about your period, and if i did it was in reference to you getting worked up over something silly and now you've made it worse, back to comment, is mtv not a good representation of what most americans like to watch, i think it yes and it's full of that shit, and whats more anoying is that their totally oblivious to music outside of the good ole U S of A.

PS IN GENEREAL.

They aren't necessary at all, anybody who says they are is wrong.

for once i agree, there's good music and there's bad music, end of.
    How are they necessary?

You meet someone new. One of the typical 'get to know you' questions is what music you listen to. You could either tell them the genre, or bore the living shit out of them listing a bunch of bands they've never even heard of.

Or how about using a program like SoulSeek or Direct Connect to download music. If you actually want to find an artist (especially one that isn't that well known) you need to join a hub corresponding to the genre of that artist.

Or when someone asks me if I wanna go clubbing (proper clubbing, not the cheesy student clubs). I check out what night it is on the website (house, funky house, techno, trance, DnB). I'm not exactly a big fan of house, so I'm not gonna want to waste 20 odd quid on a ticket to listen to music I don't like. If however, it was a trance night I would want to go, so if I didn't know the differences between the genres I'd be fucked.
    Even in HMV, you only really need to know loosely what type of music a genre is (i.e guitar based) to be able to find the CD really quickly.

Have you like, ever been in Virgin in Glasgow? Do you know how fucking big that place is or how many sections they have? I can see why this wouldn't be a problem for you as you'd go imediately to the 'chart' section, but for anyone who listens to anything other than chart music they'd be there all fucking day looking through the 'rock', 'rock & pop', 'nu-metal', 'metal', 'indie' and 'alternate' sections trying to find "guitar based" music. Whatever genre you class them as doesn't exactly matter here, seeing as they're put in their actual genre sections.

I suppose you could ask a member of staff to find the CD for you - they love that.

I can think of a few more examples, but I've already proved you wrong so whatever.
    You meet someone new. One of the typical 'get to know you' questions is what music you listen to. You could either tell them the genre, or bore the living shit out of them listing a bunch of bands they've never even heard of.

Yes.

But most music comes down to a few main genres, like rock, R'N'B and dance. The whole sub-genre stuff is a load of bollocks, probably invented by twits who're desperate to sound like they've got a trendily obescure taste in music.

Most people I know couldn't care less about the difference between rock and punk and industrial and indie etc, and whatever you say - it's down to the individual as to what genre fits what artist.
    Or when someone asks me if I wanna go clubbing (proper clubbing, not the cheesy student clubs). I check out what night it is on the website (house, funky house, techno, trance, DnB). I'm not exactly a big fan of house, so I'm not gonna want to waste 20 odd quid on a ticket to listen to music I don't like. If however, it was a trance night I would want to go, so if I didn't know the differences between the genres I'd be fucked.

Sure.

But the majority of people I know aren't especially arsed about the specific genres of music they're listening to when they're on a night out.

For the majority of people, genres aren't massively "necessary" at all, not sub-genres anyway.

I suppose you could ask a member of staff to find the CD for you - they love that.

I think that's what most people would do. Bearing in mind that folk who work in Virgin are actually paid to know all these silly little sub-genres that most people don't give a fuck about.

It'd be a hell of a lot easier if Virgin just had a massive "Rock" section, done alphabetically, so we can do away with all the shitey wee genres that anybody with any taste just avoids anyway.

Maybe stupid genres are important to you who prides himself on listening to obescure music, and when it comes to clubbing and buying obescure shit, then maybe.

But take Muse for example. Some people might see them as rock, some people might see them as alternative. As much as you think so, there is no right answer. It's all just music, and however much you might not like it, people can define it in whatever way they want, rather than what the likes of you happen to think they should define it as.
    genres are good for hard drive based mp3' players (like mine, yay!), the whole sub-genre thing gets stupid (post-hardcore scream core etc etc).

and yeh i'd like to have an all rock alphabetical thing in hmv, saves time if the shop classes one band as one genre and i class them as another. plus we could have a pop section for under 12's, girls and bri.
    Originally posted by O_o
    plus we could have a pop section for under 12's, girls and bri.

Hilarious.

Radiohead wannabe?
    personally i dont think muse can be classified because alot of their songs are very different and these songs alone would require to be in a different genre.
    but i can be a little OCD sometimes..

and after i rip my CDs into my mac.. i like to categorize it and whatnot.. especially b/c it makes it easier to find music on my Ipod... [/B]

does itunes not put in into categorys for you when you rip your cd's christine?

mine seems too:confused: