Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

russia redoes constitution and removes communist holiday

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Tell me, what does that mean?

I was referring to the tendancy of Marxists to insist that the people are acting in the 'wrong' way in order to explain the failings of Marxism/Leninism as a societal model.
  • Options
    Originally posted by felis
    I am afraid you've created a complete straw man there. 'Free trade' is the global model whereby nations neither impose tariffs upon foreign imports, nor subsidise their own industries. The effect of this is to ensure a level playing field globally. The system we have at the moment involves the developed world subsidising it's own, less competitive industries at the expense of the more cost-effective production in the developing world (the CAP is a case in point), whilst taxing imports from other nations. What this means is that the developing world is unable to trade effectively, or fairly with the developed. Currently we have a system of 'free trade for you, protectionism for us' which is entirely invidious.

In fact, were free trade to be instituted (as it has at certain times in the past), the standard of living of people in the developed world would rise as they would be able to compete on a fair basis.

Hmmmm. By "free trade" people normally mean neo-liberalist capitalism, with no state run social services, everything privatised and run for profit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by felis
    I was referring to the tendancy of Marxists to insist that the people are acting in the 'wrong' way in order to explain the failings of Marxism/Leninism as a societal model.

I'd agree. But then I'm not a Marxist/Leninist.
  • Options
    To paraphrase Winston Churchill, capitalism is the worst form of economics except for all the others. For all of the flaws of capitalism, and they are legion, it has one crucial aspect that renders it superior to other systems, it's self-correcting.

true or not, i think the system we have is awful but until you give me a better alternative, i'll be happy enough.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Hmmmm. By "free trade" people normally mean neo-liberalist capitalism, with no state run social services, everything privatised and run for profit.

Do they? They'd be wrong then. For ex, look at 19th Century history, and the free trade/protectionism debate in the UK. 'Free trade' means just what it says on the tin, neo-liberalist capitalism, means neo-liberalist capitalism. In fact the neo-liberal, IMF model is particularly awful because, as I said it insists upon free trade, privatising all state property and an open market in the developing world as a condition of World Bank/IMF loans, but allows the developed world to protect their own markets, and have a social security/public sector network.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    To paraphrase Winston Churchill, capitalism is the worst form of economics except for all the others. For all of the flaws of capitalism, and they are legion, it has one crucial aspect that renders it superior to other systems, it's self-correcting.

true or not, i think the system we have is awful but until you give me a better alternative, i'll be happy enough.

<me too>
    Absolutely! It's not great, but it's certainly the least worst, and it *has* produced the highest standard of living for the greatest number of any system we've tried.