Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Queen's Speech

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any of you lot watch the Queen's speech today?
I usually try and avoid it, but it happened to be on while I was in the room, and it was terrible.
Not one mention of English Christmas traditions, just a load of bollocks about acception of different races in society.
Did anyone see the part where she had invited a selection of people, every race possible, minus white people, to meet her? Actually, there was one white person, but he was in a wheel chair.

Surely racism isn't really a central topic to the Christmas day speech? I'm all for a cosmopolitan Great Britain, but still, I can't see what relevance it had. I understand the point she was attempting to make, vaguely, but surely getting together a load of asian, african and disabled people, to name a few of societal minorities, into one room and being nice to them (in the most patronising way possible) isn't really helping to encourage a notion of acceptance and celebration of diversity.

Anyone else got any views on it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    technically it was just an xmas greeting

cause the "queens speech" is the legislative based one she makes every november

but i liked it a lot, it almost had the sense that it hadnt been written by tony blair or the government, which is a welcome thing these days when it comes to royal announcements
    Re: The Queen's Speech
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    just a load of bollocks ,

its the same every year, thats why we dont watch it...well unless we are just gonna take the piss out of it :D
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I was at work - who did the alternative one on C4?

Marge Simpson.

I watched that one.
    Re: The Queen's Speech
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    Any of you lot watch the Queen's speech today?
    I usually try and avoid it, but it happened to be on while I was in the room, and it was terrible.
    Not one mention of English Christmas traditions, just a load of bollocks about acception of different races in society.
    Did anyone see the part where she had invited a selection of people, every race possible, minus white people, to meet her? Actually, there was one white person, but he was in a wheel chair.

Surely racism isn't really a central topic to the Christmas day speech? I'm all for a cosmopolitan Great Britain, but still, I can't see what relevance it had. I understand the point she was attempting to make, vaguely, but surely getting together a load of asian, african and disabled people, to name a few of societal minorities, into one room and being nice to them (in the most patronising way possible) isn't really helping to encourage a notion of acceptance and celebration of diversity.

Anyone else got any views on it?

erm its called trying trying to bridge the gap and bring this country together :)
    Well not every Christian is a caucasian physically able middle class heterosexual gentleman and Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ. Christians come in all shapes and sizes and as somebody who was brought up in the CoE, I noticed a lot of prejudice going around.

The Queen is representative of the people, she's somebody we're supposed to look up to (whether we agree with the monarchy or not, the Queens speech is always on and it must influence at least a few people) and to portray a message that promotes equality and unconditional love in my opinion is what Christianity is supposed to be about (whether it's practiced like that or not... Personally I think the Quakers got it right).
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Well not every Christian is a caucasian physically able middle class heterosexual gentleman and Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ.

...and to portray a message that promotes equality and unconditional love in my opinion is what Christianity is supposed to be about (whether it's practiced like that or not... Personally I think the Quakers got it right).

I understand not everyone is white and physically able, but surely collecting together a few samples from society who aren't and shoving them in a room together like some kind of display isn't really the way to go about promoting equality. At least have a few white people there (which of course make up the large majority of our country anyway), then it would at least be people from every background, rather than singling the minorities out.
    I liked the Queen's Christmas address (if we're going to get picky MrG!) She did talk about Christianity. She acknowledged that Christmas is a Christian religious festival and also said she was a Christian. She used the address to underline true Christian values, a lot of which aren't upheld by many Christians. In a roundabout way she condemned the widespread racism that is still prevailant in this country and she did a good job.

I can't comment on the fact she brought people into the room with her as I was listening to it on the radio whilst eating lunch. :)
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I watched the Queens speech and the Simpsons speech lol.

The Queen just went on about how we should accept other cultures and that learning about them is so great!

The simpson one was about how the US/Uk relationship is strong.
    prefered this one.

The Queen took away Christainity and Christmas from the speech and replaced it with politics! Thanks duck!

The queen tells us stop being racist - whos going to listen to her?

:crying: Waaa. My heart bleeds for you. I'll tell you why you didn't like the Queen's Speech - because it was aimed at racist people like yourself. She did speak about Christianity, for the record:
    But we should not lose sight of the fact that these are traditional celebrations around a great religious festival, one of the most important in the Christian year.

She even used a parable from the Bible itself:
    For me, as a Christian, one of the most important of these teachings is contained in the parable of the Good Samaritan, when Jesus answers the question, 'Who is my neighbour?'... The implication drawn by Jesus is clear. Everyone is our neighbour, no matter what race, creed or colour.

Compassion for people isn't political. Not being racist scum isn't political. Integration, tolerance and acceptance isn't political. She's right, they are supposedly basic core values of religion, any religion. You'd do worse than heed her message kiddo.
    you know everything about me don't you - you clever bitch!!!

racist people like me? throwing the racistcard are we? god whata good samaritan you are!! You deserve a medal!!

:lol: Can't handle the truth sunshine?

To play the race card:
    political tactic to appeal to racist motives in the electorate. Alternatively; political tactic to appeal to non-racist motives in the electorate by accusing an opponent of appealing to racist motives.

So, please tell me where I was playing or even indeed 'throwing' the race card? I'm not a Samaritan. But thank you, a medal would be nice. :)
    The queen tells us stop being racist - whos going to listen to her?
    What a load of bollocks. The Queen wasn't talking about racism specifically. She seemed to be saying more about how religious extremism is damaging society. As for Lukesh being racist, these claims are as believable as the ones about Iraqi WMD.
    Fuck the Queen. Fucking parasite.
    I seriously doubt that the Queen actually writes her own speech. The speech she gives at the state opening of parliament is a load of managerial-speak nonsense. I just feel sorry for her having to read all that rubbish out. As for her speech, I never watch it, I just read about it in the paper the next day.
    Re: Re: The Queen's Speech
    Originally posted by J
    Not bollocks in my mind. We can all learn good and bad things from all cultures, and in order to be able to do this we first need to accept those different races and creeds.
    Life should be a melting pot, an ensemble of all this mix of opinion, knowledge and tradition.
    The queen also brought up the fact that some are worried about losing thier traditions, but this need not be a problem if first we adopt from other cultures that which we share in common.
    True religion, true culture, true music is to be found somewhere at the pinnacle of that thought, that bringing together of everything.
    That's the spire of the real church.

:) Well put J!
    Originally posted by J
    Not bollocks in my mind. We can all learn good and bad things from all cultures, and in order to be able to do this we first need to accept those different races and creeds.
    Life should be a melting pot, an ensemble of all this mix of opinion, knowledge and tradition.
    The queen also brought up the fact that some are worried about losing thier traditions, but this need not be a problem if first we adopt from other cultures that which we share in common.
    True religion, true culture, true music is to be found somewhere at the pinnacle of that thought, that bringing together of everything.
    That's the spire of the real church.

As BumbleBee says, well put!
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    erm its called trying trying to bridge the gap and bring this country together :)

:yes: Well put ;)