Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

special schools to help out normal schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4117997.stm

good idea i think :) id prefer to see more special schools for students with severe learnig difficulties, but this does help a lot and ddoes help to integrate students

Comments

• Options
    I've been in classes with 2 autistic kids, kids with severe emotional problems, cerable pausy, dyslexia/dyspraxia, and deaf kids.

and to be honest, my class became very caring and kind when we had the 2 autistic kids, lovely girls, but it did hugly disrupt class.

the girl with severe emotional problems was totaly isolated and got so deppressed she was taken out of school and given a personal tutor by the LEA, only because they were worried that she would commit suicide if left in mainstream education. she's doing really well and she's now got 11 GCSEs 2 years early, and is taking 2 years gap year to do spiritual stuff and educate herself in coping better with the world and she's gone on a MENSA program. she had a HUGE IQ and over analised everything and took everything really personaly, lovely lovely girl though. the 4 kids that i know that i went to middle school with that had cereble pausy did really well and have gone on to do really well. the kid with dyslexia did great with approprete help, and so did the kids with dyspraxia, but the dyspraxic girl i know found sitting out PE really frustrating. the deaf kids seriously struggled because people didn't seem to have time for them.

i think it really depends on the case, for intergration.
  • Options
    over analising GCSE stuff is a bad idea especially sciences since theyre so wrong on all levels, then at a level its like "this was wrong since its only true in this context"

when you get to degree its worse :(
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea having people with different educational needs in the same classes as other kids because it prevents segregation and helps to prepare them for the outside world.
  • Options
    last week as a favour i went to play the music for a nativity play at a primary school. this school was one that takes in solely children who suffer from behavioural difficulties. the place is amazing. tiny classes, excellent teacher supervision, rewards for good behaviour, acute understanding of the kids and their history and difficulties. and the kids make such progress there. what can be wrong with that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by xmizzcattyx
    last week as a favour i went to play the music for a nativity play at a primary school. this school was one that takes in solely children who suffer from behavioural difficulties. the place is amazing. tiny classes, excellent teacher supervision, rewards for good behaviour, acute understanding of the kids and their history and difficulties. and the kids make such progress there. what can be wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that, in fact it is the best thing i have to teach two children with ADHD, one with autism, one with aspergers, and 4 others with SEN. The autistic child is lovely but he can only really play with beads and touch things with different textures. I do not think a mainstream approach can help this child with so many other needs in the classroom.

The children with ADHD just seem to disturb the whole class every moment and it is very hard to deal with, however i feel that a mainstream approach can help these children but it does the opposite with the boy who is autistic.
  • Options
    yea. when i used to teach i had a couple of kids with ADHD and its impossible to give them the help they need to stay on task etc when you've got 28 other kids aswell to teach etc