Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fuck the system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Why is the education systems of this world so pointless.
WE go through a blur of exams, and give up the better part of our life, only to have to enter the real world and suffere more.
I have a passion for the written, and the spoken word. But not for numbers, yet i spend the majourity of my time emersed in this shit like maths and science, I say fuck them.

WE should follow our passions, whos with me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Fuck the system
    Originally posted by oscuroD
    Why is the education systems of this world so pointless.
    WE go through a blur of exams, and give up the better part of our life, only to have to enter the real world and suffere more.
    I have a passion for the written, and the spoken word. But not for numbers, yet i spend the majourity of my time emersed in this shit like maths and science, I say fuck them.

Yawn. Grow up.
    so do english at A-level, and study for a degree in media/drama/english/poetry/film ... whatever. you don't need maths or science for that.

once you get to A-level you can "fuck" whatever subject you like! just stay with the others for now to get to that point...

your grades for maths and sciences merely indicate to the universities you attitude to work. ie, try hard, succeed, and they'll like you!
    So wear black and write questionable poetry.
    I agree with some fo this.

Who gives a shit about history? Well some maybe be interested but go to a library. School was ment to get kids ready for real life and right now while I know about atoms and cosmic mass and how this author liked to portray her childhood and how some toffee nosed twat thinks I need to sit down and watch videos on how volcanoes are formed....

I can't iron, I don't understand taxes, I don't know how to check oil in my car...christ the only good thing in school was Maths and English Language!

</rant>
    Originally posted by Davy

Who gives a shit about history? Well some maybe be interested but go to a library. School was ment to get kids ready for real life and right now while I know about atoms and cosmic mass and how this author liked to portray her childhood and how some toffee nosed twat thinks I need to sit down and watch videos on how volcanoes are formed....

I can't iron, I don't understand taxes, I don't know how to check oil in my car...christ the only good thing in school was Maths and English Language!

</rant>
    I do agree with this, while i do think alot of school should be about academics i think a decent amount at least should be about life. I came away from school with anything i knew about the real world, i did not learn from school.
    Schools should prepare people for life, not just teach them afew subjects that have no relevance to life itself, that are just paths to more education.
    thing is im concerned about whats going to happen when this current generation of under 18 chavs, who skip school often, decide to grow up, the country would/will be anarchy
    Originally posted by NaCN
    So wear black and write questionable poetry.

Questionable is being kind, my good sir.

oscuroD: shut up and grow up. Oh wait, you can't, you're only 14.

This is what life is about: you work, you play. Deal with it, everyone else has managed to for the last three million years.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Questionable is being kind, my good sir.

oscuroD: shut up and grow up. Oh wait, you can't, you're only 14.

This is what life is about: you work, you play. Deal with it, everyone else has managed to for the last three million years.

kermit. give him a break.

and he's 16.

i see what you mean Dan, but people see trignomatry(sp) and the such as a vital need for life.

this is why people can drop subjects at A level

and stop complaining.....how long have you got left in school? months before film school?

lucky bugger...:p
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    kermit. give him a break.

and he's 16.

Yes, I know. I miscounted, something to do with the four hours sleep after a ten hour night shift...

I'm not one to piss on people's ambitions, but I don't have much time for the pubescent rantings of some child who "hates school" when they quite clearly have NO IDEA HOW LUCKY THEY ARE.
    Well, the way I see it you're only gonna know what you enjoy and are good at, if you at least try it at a basic level - how else would you know what to study at A Level? In life, you need to be able to write, solve problems, think outside the box and add up. All these subjects offer you the chance to prove that you can do that.
    Plus, you can't just go through life dismissing any knowledge that you "don't need". You can't really live your life, ignorant to everything else, how would you be able to join into any conversation?
    You should be thankful for your education as a chance to prove yourself!
    i see what you mean Dan, but people see trignomatry(sp) and the such as a vital need for life.

You have no idea how crucial trigonometry is to everything. It sounds silly, but almost everything in engineering uses it.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    You have no idea how crucial trigonometry is to everything. It sounds silly, but almost everything in engineering uses it.

very true, but that's only any good if you want to be an engineer :)
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois

exactly!
    exactly!

surely though you should have a primitive understanding though? Without trigonometry, there'd probably be no such thing as music, or just about anything. Although it's noe of those sillyu things, it's one of the most fundemental principles of mathematics (along with pi) and just about everything is built on top of mathematics.
    Originally posted by Davy

</rant>

But simply because you don't give a shit about history doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't. Learning about history hopefully tries to teach us not to make some of the same mistakes, and the processes that you go through to study historical evidence are useful in any area of life where you might have to investigate something (That could be lawyers, doctors, computer technicians, police...)

Likewise an understanding of how our world works to try to improve how we work with it. Volcanoes is an extreme example, but what is to happen if noone knows what a volcano is?

To turn your other example back on you, you say you don't know how to check the oil in your car, but in response to that I would say that

a) Not everyone wants to drive.

b) What you really should be looking at rather than condemning the entire school system is maybe whether they should offer a broader range of subjects, more of them vocational (which some are doing anyway)

and

c) That learning to check the oil in your car is a simple task, and most car manuals will tell you it in a few sentances if you can't figure it out. If you hadn't learnt english though, you might be a bit stuffed.
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois

true but the teaching of VERY simple algebraic maths teaches you to think in other ways, not just argumentative ways, but in logical ways

its stupid really how people are prepared to shrug off maths like that when what we need in a small country like this is more skilled technical workers

i do think vocational study needs more investment and expansion though, but there are some things everyone has to know, like there are some skills everyone has to know

and despite all your arguments and protest, trigonometry and pythagoras and the quadratic equation solution, are VERY simple maths, and VERY simple is a overstimate
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    surely though you should have a primitive understanding though? Without trigonometry, there'd probably be no such thing as music, or just about anything. Although it's noe of those sillyu things, it's one of the most fundemental principles of mathematics (along with pi) and just about everything is built on top of mathematics.

ok, yes, but months, and months of studing of it is not needed.....

It is.

You'll realise in ten years.

it is.... and its so simple anyone can get it with a bit of effort, the only reason you do it for months is so you knwo the method well

why teach little kids multiplication tables, cause we have calculators? cause sometimes you need to just estimate things by yourself

and its mainly there jsut to give a VERY VERY basic view so you know how to approach logical problems in ur head
    Re: Fuck the system
    Originally posted by oscuroD

I am following my passion, which involves a blur of exams and coursework. I have happily gone through GCSEs and A Levels to get to University and follow my dream. Not everyone has a dream which involves a "Fuck the System" attitude.
    and to those who say maths aint useful

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4054977.stm
    exactly!

Not really!

let me explain to you!

we need trigonometry to help us understand how a shelf fits in a telephone cabinet, where to place a ladder to change a light bulb without it falling or slipping to name two!

If we stopped education, altogether what do you think will happen, generations of people who cannot spell, count or do sweet FA brilliant :rolleyes:
    If we stopped education, altogether what do you think will happen, generations of people who cannot spell, count or do sweet FA brilliant :rolleyes: [/B]

this i guess......

trignomatry(sp)

sorry couldn't help myself!
    Originally posted by el_dude
    this i guess......

sorry couldn't help myself!

I did'nt mean that exactly but still it's funny! :lol:

Precisely my point, people who cannot spell!

I was marking a childs book the other day
    aged 8
    marks for text talk 10/10 marks for English 1/10 9that was fore creativity)

"I woz goin dwn the rd + i sow a big monsta it was starin @ me i started 2 run rly fast"

could be translated as "i was going down the road and i saw a big monster, it was staring at me i started to run really fast."

other children spell easy words wrong, and in my expereince its always the children who are off 'sick' or shopping in town with their parents!

When - wen
    where - wear
    tired - tyerd
    because - becoz
    height - hite
    travelled - travuled

(and the government believe in phonics?)
    If kids are spelling words wrongly then the teachers aren't good enough.

Isn't that right?
    If kids are spelling words wrongly then the teachers aren't good enough.

Isn't that right?

No it is society

CBBC - spelling crazy ---- KRAZEE!
    Shops selling and advertising with words spelt KOOL

and the children in the other class at school identify this and have written to CBC to complain.

Children writing in text talk have been brought up that way, its easier and its more convenient.

When asked how they could spell such easy words wrong they said that it was in fact easier and quicker to spell 'you' like 'u'
    however after a word with them they soon learn that certain teachers will not accept it.
    If they see the error then they've learned. Sadly not everyone is blessed with the fantabuluous intelligence and reading and writing skills that you so evidently possess.

If kids come out of school not knowing how to read then the teaching staff have failed them.
    If they see the error then they've learned. Sadly not everyone is blessed with the fantabuluous intelligence and reading and writing skills that you so evidently possess.

If kids come out of school not knowing how to read then the teaching staff have failed them.

Yes and i completely see your point.

But is it the teaching staff not enforcing the strategy effectively

OR

the government not providing the correct strategy?

as to be honest i feel that a phonetical approach is not suitable for children, and teaching in the olden days was way more effective, it is the government failing these children.
    A good teacher makes the "strategy" fit her teaching style, not the other way around.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A good teacher makes the "strategy" fit her teaching style, not the other way around.

:yes:

Mostly.
    Originally posted by *Devil*
    No it is society

Sort of.

A strategy (like the NC or in Scotland 5-14) is designed so that teachers can implement the curriculum successfully and do so in their own style. If a teacher cannot implement the curriculum successfully then they are a poor teacher. It is that simple.

A child, by the age of 11, should possess basic reading and writing skills. If they do not then I would definately question the school.

Yes, there are some exceptions, as with any rule, but in these exceptions you will find that the school (and the LEA or whatever) has failed the child by not recognising that they have severe learning difficulites / issues that haven't been dealt with and the child should have extra provisions made.