Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How many of you can say?..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
That every day you go to work, come back, go to bed; do the same next morning; and love it?

Everyone's always on about how you don't want a job that pays loads of money if you don't enjoy it, and that it's better to get a poorer job if you really enjoy it, but how many people really love their job and wouldn't change it for the world?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used to work on a petting zoo and i loved it.

It was basically the same thing every day- mucking out, feeding, serving people, and public displays

but i loved it and only left it for uni
    I enjoy what I do, but at the same time I have ambition to aim higher. At the moment, I'm basically a glorified receptionist and typist with a little bit of my own workload as well as doing what seems like every bugger else in this building's typing! Eventually, I'd like to move up (am getting there, by having my own workload, and stuff) but then again there are loads of parts of the job I do now that I would miss - like typing up the minutes of the management/board of directors meetings (find out all the goss then!), doing other people's typing gives me a good general idea of the procedures and processes you have to go through, and also a good idea of what's going on with each Client more or less all of the time, and also picking up every call that comes in forces me to learn who in the office deals with which particular Client - some of the people who've been here years still don't know that!

So, yeah, to answer the question... I do love my job at the minute but I don't think I could do it for a lifetime - I need to move on at some point.
    I love my job and I'm just a sales assistant! It's always what you make of it (and partly the people you work with too).
    I don't think there's any such thing as a job that someone could love for 40 years of their life.
    The reason for hating jobs is often because they become boring or that you don't get on with the people you work with.

Getting promoted is a great way to stay where you are, improve your self esteem and generate a new circle of co-workers.

Have a look at *link removed - spam* for some ideas.

Good luck
    I love my job. Even when I hate my job I still love it. There are things that happen at work that make me want to get out and get out fast, but the people I work with and for are lovely, we have a good laugh and I've learned so much in the past year and a half. I think I'll stay in the NHS forever to be honest.
    Originally posted by dennis expert
    Have a look at www.impressyourboss.com for some ideas.

Stop spamming, dickhead.
    Just me having a job would do me nicely:)
    A big appeal of joining my job (police) is that you rarely do the same things on two consecutive days - there's always something new and/or unpredictable that comes up.

I know bobbies who have almost 30 years service in and still look forward to going in to work every day.
    Originally posted by AndyW
    A big appeal of joining my job (police) is that you rarely do the same things on two consecutive days - there's always something new and/or unpredictable that comes up.

I know bobbies who have almost 30 years service in and still look forward to going in to work every day.

That's exactly why I want to join the Police when I'm 18! Any advice you can give me, would be much appreciated ;)

I currently work with my dad doing accounts and keeping his website up to date - because its a family business, I hate it! Working with your brother, mum and dad is pretty annoying.
    The only job I've done and I could say that was somewhat like what you described was when I was a tourist guide for a horse rental. I loved spending time with random strangers and riding/training.

However I am not sure if I'd be willing to do it for the rest of my life. I also felt sorry for many of the horses because horse rentals are not the most pleasant places for horses to be at.
    Mish I know what you mean, nothing appeals less to me than sitting in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day, Mon-Friday.

In my 8/9 months in the police service I've absolutely loved it, it's all I ever wanted to do and I'm sure you'll feel the same when you join. Yeah, there's paperwork and certain things take forever to do (ie a full file for a court case) but the positives far outweigh the negatives :)

As far as advice goes - the first thing you'll need to do is the application form which is a long-arsed thing which takes forever. I'd advise you to do it in rough first on scrap paper, and the questions are structured in a way that if you say what they want you to say, you can't fail.
    In fact the whole recruitment process now is just a whole lot of hoops that you have to jump through. By that I mean, if you keep saying that you want to help society and reduce crime and you've got experience in helping ethinic minorities etc then you should be ok.
    Don't lie on your app form, but do stretch the truth - for example one question is about your past dealings with racial differences and I used a half truth about being on a night out with friends, and something almost kicked-off with a group of Asian kids but I saw the potential race problems and calmed things down. I also used this in my interview and got good marks.

Fitness assessment is stupidly easy and medical shouldn't be a problem for you unless you have serious health problems.
    The one day assessment centre is tough, but as long as you read through the stuff they send you and do your prep work you should be ok - and remember - you're being assessed as a civilian and how you deal with things, not a potential police officer! Don't try and think of how a police officer would deal with the little scenarios, think of how you would...and then add some extra nice details.

I'm not sure how close you are to applying etc, but feel free to contact me for any help with any of the bits. The application process can take up to 18 months but I was lucky and it took me about 6 months.
    There are books and CDs etc that can help with the process too, I have them lying about somewhere.
    Also try this website for advise and help with it all, helped me loads when I was going through the whole process - www.police-recruitment.com/one2/phpbb2/index.php

And good luck :)
    Thank you Andy.

I'm only 16 so I have a bit of a long way off, but thanks for that link and the advice.
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    i used to work on a petting zoo and i loved it.

It was basically the same thing every day- mucking out, feeding, serving people, and public displays

but i loved it and only left it for uni

OMG what an ace job!!!!! :hyper:
    me.
    Re: How many of you can say?..
    Originally posted by Capacity
    That every day you go to work, come back, go to bed; do the same next morning; and love it?

Everyone's always on about how you don't want a job that pays loads of money if you don't enjoy it, and that it's better to get a poorer job if you really enjoy it, but how many people really love their job and wouldn't change it for the world?

I'm afraid I'll have to be smug here; I absolutely love what I do, and the money's great!
    I do enjoy my job, I learn something new everyday. As it's a government building we do attract a lot of nutters and it can be a bit scary sometimes but generally it's ok.