Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

magistrates court

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im taking a case to magistrates court this week and would like to know how to prepare a case its a civil matter, how many judges are there? how do i refer to them? can i represent myself or do i need a solicitor?
ive not been to court before and have no idea what to expect any help or info is greatly appreciated.........

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry if this is in the wrong thread but did not know which to put it under..........
    Re: magistrates court
    Originally posted by 01j01
    im taking a case to magistrates court this week and would like to know how to prepare a case its a civil matter, how many judges are there? how do i refer to them? can i represent myself or do i need a solicitor?
    ive not been to court before and have no idea what to expect any help or info is greatly appreciated.........
    there are no judges ...just magistrates. call the men 'your honour' and the women ...minds gone blank ...'your worship' thats it.
    you do not have to have a solicitor.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Re: magistrates court
    Originally posted by 01j01

TheSite have a information sheet, Going to Court, that may help you out.

If you would like to speak to someone, try calling the Release helpline, 0845 4500 215? They should be able to tell you all you need to know, or you could try calling your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

I hope it goes well for you.
    many thanks people
    Definately contact Release about this, they deal with this kind of thing all the time, they have legal experts who will be able to give you the full low down on how to act and what to do.
    can you ruddy believe this, i went to my court case with a whole list of evidence and the party i took to court that were summonsed decided that they didnt need to turn up, although this pissed the court off they bloody ajourned the case untill jan 19th,