Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Damage from snorting......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long does it usually take for people to get damage to their nose from snorting? Does it vary alot from person to person?
Because basically i know plenty of people who snort stuff all the time and have done for a long time and they don't have any noticeable damage, but for afew months i snorted about one crushed e a week and about 6 lines of coke in that whole time and my nose felt like it was fucked, was it all in my head?

Any info on the damage would be useful thanks, i can't find anything anywhere!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For damage to occur it would take alot of insuffilating cocaine or whatever your substance may be. A few months of snorting shouldn't do any noticable damage to the soft palate or the nasel passage itself.
    Your nose may have felt this way due to the binders etc in the pills, or other inmpurities in your substances.
    One person I know has been snorting cocaine for years, and I would describe him as having problems with his nose....
    In other words it takes time for damage to occur, and from a few months use I wouldn't worry.
    Take it easy and your body will forgive.
    yo should never snort crushed tablets ...too many sharp bits in there i'm afraid. and stuff that isn't soluble in your nose.
    when you was snorting little fellas, didnt you ever ask yourself why?
    Originally posted by badboy4life
    when you was snorting little fellas, didnt you ever ask yourself why?

Yes,many a time and i've now realised it's a waste of time and just hurts your nose, it's better off just eating them.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Someone asked about snorting MDMA on Erowid, you can find the answer in the link. I'm still looking for a graphic breakdown of what damage snorting MDMA, or any other substance for that matter, does to your nasal passage, but I can assure you it isn't good for you.
    Re: Damage from snorting......
    Originally posted by princessamy
    i snorted about one crushed e a week

oh god, brings back some awful memories sniffing e's, fucking waste o time.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Yes,many a time and i've now realised it's a waste of time and just hurts your nose, it's better off just eating them.

exactley, it only took me one blue playstaytion to realise it was daught. that and having blue bogeys, what a fucking party trick though, oy, iv got blue bogeys
    it only took me one blue playstaytion

bastard, i was looking everywhere for them, bit of an urban myth round ere
    depends on the eprson and what you snort. have a mate who snorts copious amounts of speed and stuff all the time and he's fine.

my other mate doesn't go out mcuh at all anymroe and after last weekend she started having nosebleeds again.

how do you lot mean that snorting pills is a waste of time? i know it's bad for your nose but *touch wood* i seem fine so far and i get a lot more buzz out fo it then eating a pill.
    Originally posted by turlough

they are a decent dose of good quality mda, there was loads of em round here about 2 month ago, i got bored with them quite quick, i prefer mdma
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    they are a decent dose of good quality mda, there was loads of em round here about 2 month ago, i got bored with them quite quick, i prefer mdma

A couple years ago there were plenty of blue, red and green playstations round my way. They had the different markings on the back - X O square and triangle - as on the playstation controller.
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by turlough
    The ones that have just done the rounds round here are fucking crap :( made me feel sick and gave my bf chest pains.
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    depends on the eprson and what you snort. have a mate who snorts copious amounts of speed and stuff all the time and he's fine.

Seems is the operative word here Maladjusted, if you snort anything you are doing damage to your nostrils.

JimV just pointed out this page on TheSite about coke and your nose that explains a bit of what happens.
    Its a self re-enforcing cycle really, cocaine constricts your blood and mucus vescles, so while its active your nose is clear and nice.

But when it wears off it all floods back, causing blocked noses, which are difficult to shift except with more cocaine.

Also because you are damaging the mucus vescles its much easier for infections to get in and you end up having a lot more colds and chest infections.
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Seems is the operative word here Maladjusted, if you snort anything you are doing damage to your nostrils.

oh i know that, under no delusions that snorting stuff is gonna be bad for your nose. just that he snorts shitloads of crap and there's no obvious damage, my other friend hardly ever does and gets nosebleeds.

which i found odd.
    Some substances are nastier than others, methamphetamine and cocaine are pretty much the worst.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Some substances are nastier than others, methamphetamine and cocaine are pretty much the worst.
    From what people have been saying before it's made out that pills would be the worst? I've always been told cocaine is though.

And thinking about it now, i'm sure the pills always hurt more to snort than anything else, which is right with what MR said about sharp bits.
    I'm not sure how much point snorting the pills had, we'd only do them at the end of the night when we only had a little left, as an energy boost, seemed to do more than swallowing would at that point. But I was already fucked by then so i can't really judge how much affect they were having.
    Originally posted by J
    I never read a fairytale with a princess who snorted pills before. :(
    :D

Most fairytales are fucked up and corrupted anyway so I don't see why their couldn't be :)
    I have no idea what he was on about when he was talking about 'sharp bits' there are no sharp bits in pills.

MDMA is a fairly nasty drug to be snorting, I would heavily suspect that its damage is on par with methamphetamine, they are after all very similar compounds.

The reason meth and amphetamine tend to hurt more than cocaine is because they dont have local anesthetic properties like cocaine does.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I have no idea what he was on about when he was talking about 'sharp bits' there are no sharp bits in pills.
    it will be because when you crush them up its hard to get them crushed into a fine powder so you end up with chunks left in it, not the nicest things to be going up your snoz hole
    I suppose so, though whether they would actually do any damage is up for debate.
    It could be enough in people who were prone to nosebleeds, but I know what you are saying.
    I know you do get a strong comeup and all that whenever you sniff it, i used to sniff them nearly every time i took them at some point throughout the night, i wouldn't sniff another pill again.
    Yeh, also in my experience the comedown seems to be worse after snorting a pill or two. I've only ever done it towards the end of a night when you know you shouldn't really take anymore, but still you do..
    Well the most important thing in terms of the strength of the experience is the speed at which the levels of the drug in the blood increase.

Orally it will absorb gradually and you will peak slowly, snorting is more effective and the drug gets into your blood stream quicker, smoking or IV is more effective still.

Because its quicker in the blood the quicker it will be out too, causing harsher comedowns.
    Originally posted by Nash
    Yeh, also in my experience the comedown seems to be worse after snorting a pill or two. I've only ever done it towards the end of a night when you know you shouldn't really take anymore, but still you do..
    That's exactly what I always used to do.

Never had much of a problem with comedowns though, the biggest problem was thinking 'nooo i'm coming down, bring me back up!!' but the day after I'd feel really nice and peaceful. I think the comedown had a more negative effect as the week wore on.
    Originally posted by Nash

Yea, that's def it.

The comedowns aren't the worst, handable. Some just can't handle them as well as others.
    Originally posted by Shogun

Some just can't handle them as well as others.

AH my head's up mi hole, need a toke, need a toke, cmon gavey giz a toke, cmon. guess who, haha