Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

For Those of You That Work On Tills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you feel safe?

Reports on the news about one guy who was stabbed in the chest for two bottles of booze

If you work on the tills does your emplyer offer any kind of protection, e.g. security guard, glass screens, etc?

Comments

• Options
    When I worked on a till I felt safe because it was in a Garden Centre in the middle of nowhere, so there wasn't really much chance of robbers.
  • Options
    I have worked on tills a lot in the past, at one shop we had a panic button that linked directly to the police just under the till so I definitely felt safe there, and there was always a lot of people around so I never really thought about that sort of thing happening. I guess if I worked late at night alone in a petrol station or something I'd be a lot more alert and worried about people who came in, just because of the circumstances.
  • Options
    I used to work on a till. Only had a panic button, no screens or anything. I suppose looking in hindsight that it wasn't a very safe job, but I never thought about that while I was working there, mostly just worried about what customer was going to be shitty to me next!
  • Options
    i feel safe, i work in a bank we have rising screens which are bullet proof up to the point of a mortar gun thingy, we've got regulations in place for every eventuality
  • Options
    Originally posted by almost_innocent
    I guess if I worked late at night alone in a petrol station or something I'd be a lot more alert and worried about people who came in, just because of the circumstances.

A friend of mine works for an oil company and one of his friends had a guy come in with a gun into a petrol station to rob them and he just started laughing at them "ha .. ha .. it's bullet proof glass" .. and the robber ran away.

Later he found out it wasn't bullet proof at all!!!

In most of those kinds of holdups they either want the money in the till or the stuff behind the counter like drinks. I'd have thought most shop keepers should thing about their safety a little more I mean even the occassional drunk might want to cause trouble.
  • Options
    My first job was in a mini market type shop and being young and naive, I didn't realise how much of a cheapskate wanker my boss was being when he left me on the tills by myself for hours at a time at nights until someone comes at closing to lock the place up. It wasn't until after a spate of robberies that my boss hired a security guard (don't know if my boss knew he was packin' heat) and didn't leave 16 year olds by themselves to look after his business at nights.

It was also after about a year that I asked him what the shiny red button under the till was that I found out about the panic button (?!)
  • Options
    Yes and yes. If someone demands all the money you give it to them.
  • Options
    My local co-op has got robbed loads of times. My next door neighbour had a nervous breakdown after working their, after she had a gun held, pointed at her. Never went back after it. I would never work there because of it. Though there is always stupid local kids willing to work there as they are the only ones that are daft enough to do it. Even got a bloody 17 year old as a supervisor.

Have they done anything about the robberys? Oh Yeah, they got this short stumpy fella who stands at the door, sipping his coffee all the time, WHILST guarding of course. Added a few more secuity cameras. A plastic screen round the till area and a sign at the front, reminding people to remove their helmets before coming in.

Has their been any robberies since?!
    What you think?! :-/
  • Options
    at first yes. Towards the end no as I had a stalker-this guy who had a mental conditon (no way of saying that in pc terms!!) and he really scared me as he knew where i lived. So no. maybe not the violence side but the weirdo side of things. At least two of my colleagues had weirdoes. I gues its cus these people don't talk to many others and their day to the shop is a big deal.

I would be scared if I had read half of the comments on here!
  • Options
    I've been a till girl at tesco for 3 yrs now, and i've never felt unsafe. It's something I don't really think about, though I know I should. We don't have any panic buttons or anything, though there are always people around so I never feel unsafe and I've never been put in a sort of situation where I'd feel unsafe.