Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

law degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Can anyone tell me the difference between an LLB Law degree and a BA law degree? cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thanks for your help, but are you saying that if I chose a BA over an LLB I can't enter the legal field? Because I was sure you could because at Nottingham and Cambridge( wheret they both offer BA) there is a section on their sites which says provided you cover the 7 key areas (contract,constitutional & administrative,EU, tort, criminal, land and trusts) you can be exempt from the Common Professional Examination.....which would suggest the contrary to what you said.........so now I'm confused!:confused:
    What Stressed said would bhe excellent advice if only it wasn't complete bollocks.

Both Oxford and Cambridge do not offer an LLB, and only offer a BA, yet this offers exemption from the first part of the CPE or the LPC. This may be true of other universities.

At most universities the BA is offered in joint honours courses, where not enough law modules are taken in order to pass all of the criteria for professional exemptions, or where the student chooses to take modules that do not qualify for exemptions instead of qualifying modules.

To say that the BA does not offer exemptions is untrue. Often universities distinguish the exemption-providing degree by calling it an LLB instead of a BA, but at Oxbridge in particular this is not the case.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    What Stressed said would bhe excellent advice if only it wasn't complete bollocks.

:lol: bless she tried

cheers for that
    Originally posted by el_dude
    :lol: bless she tried

Indeed.

I'd just love to see a Law school turn down an Oxford degree;)
    Pheh.

I wouldn't have realised that there was little difference without researching Oxford to apply to.
    *ggl*

I was agreeing. You're being all paranoid and such.
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    You may well of been agreeing but from where I'm sitting, it seems as though that you were making a little dig about me not applying to Oxford like you.

well you need to read harder.

I never applied to Oxford.
    who'd have thought my little law question would create so much anger?

Oh the power!