Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Payday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmmm, didn't think i would be, but I've been paid already.... I wasn't sure if they'd pay all us lowly minimum wage staff before christmas.
Not sure whether to be happy or annoyed about it! If i hadn't been, I'd be having money problems right now, but it'll also mean that I'll run out of money quicker in January....

Comments

• Options
    i'm getting paid tomorrow.

great for paying off the christmas shopping debt, but january with have to be thrifty.
  • Options
    I get paid on wednesday, it is good for finishing off your nearest and dearests' shopping, but we'll all be utterly broke and miserable in janurary (last day of the month as well!)
    Entertain yourself with the thought that us minimum wagers will get lots of mula next month.
  • Options
    I get paid twice this month :D
    Shame the tax man keeps taking my money in emergency tax...
  • Options
    Hmm, I've come round to the idea today, when I had to buy some presents to replace the ones lost in the burglary.
    I'm still getting too much tax taken off though, not really sure how to sort it. They're still taking about 25% of all of it, which isn't right...
  • Options
    22% is right if you are on emergency tax.

You won't get any rebates until April, but you need to clarify your tax code with your employer.
  • Options
    during the course of the tax year, if you have £150 or under taken off you wrongly, then you can have that returned before the next april, after that and its waiting time im afraid

and as for emergency tax

the first £92 is tax free
    the next £37 is taxed at 11%
    then after that its 22%

thats just rough figures, cvause it might be either way with a couple of pence

and then national insurance, that comes off whatever, but i dont know if that 11% comes off before or after income tax is deducted
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    during the course of the tax year, if you have £150 or under taken off you wrongly, then you can have that returned before the next april, after that and its waiting time im afraid

and as for emergency tax

the first £92 is tax free
    the next £37 is taxed at 11%
    then after that its 22%

thats just rough figures, cvause it might be either way with a couple of pence

and then national insurance, that comes off whatever, but i dont know if that 11% comes off before or after income tax is deducted

rubbish!

If you are being taxed at BR (22%) you need to either complete a P46 (which you employer should have a supply of) and state that your employment is your only or main job. I'm assuming here that you only have the one job. They then send the P46 off to the tax office, we obtain your previous pay and tax details and put you on a proper cumulative tax code so that you see the benefit of your personal allowances, any repayment due will be calculated by your employer and you will see it in your wage packet.

What you said about tax under £150 is rubbish and I don't know where you got that from. If your employer is a small employer and doesn't have the funds to repay your tax, they can apply for an advance from the accounts offices into cover it.

National Insurance is calculated on your gross pay by using the NICs tables, not set percentage as such. Your rate bands are wrong as well, but it's time for me to go to work and I don't have time to explain it.

:razz:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    but it's time for me to go to work and I don't have time to explain it.

Shame, as you'll be explaining it at work for the next six hours;)