Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Universities and Illness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Help! This year I'm applying for universities and am hoping (desperately) to go to Glasgow. My predicted grades with CCC, although I did have to twist a few teachers arms ;). I just got an offer from Glasgow which is BBB, which if I wasn't ill, I could get but the fact I suffer from Depression means exams just fuck me right over. Should I contact the university about this asking for sympathy etc? Will it make much difference? Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Universities and Illness

i wouldn't, because they will most likely think it's an excuse. also my uni's line with this was: if you are too ill to do this degree to the best of your ability, then maybe you shouldn't do it. come back when you're well, and we'll tango.

but what i would do, if you are worried you won't get the grades you deserve, is tackle that. with a doctors note you can get extra help and/or special consideration with your A levels, which can include anything from extensions for coursework to being assessed on past work to having a person present in the actual exam to help you, to you doing your coursework and exams as usual, but a copy of the doctors note included with your paper when it gets sent to be marked, so the marker knows that it's not your usual standard of work.
    Thanks Kaff that's a HUGE help. I'll chat to my form tutor about it tomorrow.
    Basically what kaffrin said.

Though out of interest, how many times have I said for you to get dispensation with your exams?
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Though out of interest, how many times have I said for you to get dispensation with your exams?

Point taken. I'm just finding this all very hard to deal but I'm trying my best. My teachers/school are being undeniably ****ish.
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Point taken. I'm just finding this all very hard to deal but I'm trying my best. My teachers/school are being undeniably ****ish.

I wasn't being nasty, just it's a bit annoying to have to give the same advice.

Your school probably are being, because it's hassle for them to have to sort it out. But it's up to you to make them do it, and make life as irritating as possible for them until they do do it. remind them how it's in their best interests to do it too.
    I agree with kaffrin, the Uni won't take your plee very seriously. You're going to be expected to compete with, and keep up with, the other people on your course who will presumably have similar offers. Uni's full of exams etc. and if you're not well enough to get through your A Levels, perhaps now if not the time to go to Uni? The stress of starting and moving out could also be detremental.
    as far as the a levels go i really do think you should listen to kermit, i wsh i had done what he suggested, i really screwed up my chances of getting into uni cause of how fucked up i was at the time of my exams
    Originally posted by Gavman
    as far as the a levels go i really do think you should listen to kermit, i wsh i had done what he suggested, i really screwed up my chances of getting into uni cause of how fucked up i was at the time of my exams

sometimes the only thing to do is resit the whole year. you have to be really determined about it, cause it pretty much sucks. but if it gets you where you want to be....
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    sometimes the only thing to do is resit the whole year. you have to be really determined about it, cause it pretty much sucks. but if it gets you where you want to be....

thanfully i got into one of my choices but having said that i do agree with you, it is worth resitting if necessary!
    Re: Universities and Illness
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Help! This year I'm applying for universities and am hoping (desperately) to go to Glasgow. My predicted grades with CCC, although I did have to twist a few teachers arms ;). I just got an offer from Glasgow which is BBB, which if I wasn't ill, I could get but the fact I suffer from Depression means exams just fuck me right over. Should I contact the university about this asking for sympathy etc? Will it make much difference? Thanks.

I doubt glasgow will accept you, to be brutually honest, CCC and BBB are quite different...

You could try to get your grades up through additional stuff...

Or try another uni. There's a few scottish uni's who'd prolly accept you, stirling etc...which if you're depressed might be a good choice, with an out-of-the-way scenic campus, bussling halls etc...which makes for an excellent escape.
    I know Spifflie but they did make me an offer. I'm very familiar with Stirling, might chance there if Glasgow doesn't work out.
    u culd get a gap year to recover? and maybe do some resits
    A gap year won't necessarily make you feel better. The best thing I did recently was decided to pack in my gap year and come here (uni that is) early, it's made so much difference. I agree completely with Kaff and Kermit, get a GP's note and get it sorted out, you deserve to get the place you want.

Good luck! x
    Originally posted by piccolo
    A gap year won't necessarily make you feel better. The best thing I did recently was decided to pack in my gap year and come here (uni that is) early, it's made so much difference.

Hmm I'd dispute that, I think gap years are a great idea for most people. I know that if I would have started uni straight after school, I would have packed it in and taken the year off. Uni is, in may ways, like school. It's true that it's a new start, and new friends etc, but parts are very much the same, the work and the social groups. I remember really looking forward to uni and wondering whether a gap year was really a good idea, but its the best decision I've made.
    I think gap years are good for maturity and gaining confidence, working in the real world and meeting new people. It's also a break from study, and although uni does feel a bit of a step backwards for me, back to the whole school thing, I think I have enough desire for my degree and enjoy it enough to stay on.

With reference to your situation, have you considered a year out? Working/ travelling? Uni is unlikely to be a solution to your depression, yes the new start could help alot but it may even make it worse. If it's the fact that you want the freedom/ want to be away from home as soon as possible then maybe think about moving out or something for part of a gap year. I rented a flat for the 6 months of my gap year whilst I was working, and although financially it was difficult, I grew up alot.
    I would deffenatly tell the university. I'm in the same position - except I'm applying for 6th form colleges (which is less important I know) I misse dyear 10 - but am still carrying on with my gcse's. I would of been getting As and Bs - but now I'm getting Cs and Ds. I'm making a point of telling places I apply to when I submit my predicted grades. Also you could get ur current school to bck you up. They obviously know about your situation and I'm sure they would write to the university for you, explaining what has happened.