Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cocaine, physical addiction or not?

I've been reading more about the action of cocaine on the brain and the way it works.

Now, obviously cocaine isnt physically addictive in the same way heroin is, but it does change the way the brain works.

Put simply it down grades other pleasures in favour of cocaine, thus producing less dopamine and less pleasure from food, sex, chocolate etc.

It also seems to change the way the mind works in terms of priorities. In that it over rides the brains want for sex and food in exchange for cocaine.

Does this mean its a physical addiction? Not really but its more than just a psychological one, so where does it fit?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would say its both physically addictive and psychologically.
    I think saying its more than just a psychological addiction is misleading, since psychological addictions are often harder to beat than physical ones.
    It doesnt strictly fit the physical addiction definition, I guess its more a chemically re-enforcing physcological addiction.
    According to my personal experience, I would call cocaine a psychologically addicting drug, not so much a physical one. I dont find myself physically craving it, but i do find myself wanting it in certain situations to make those situations easier.
    like my mates who can't go in pubs without instantly thinking about doing a big fat line of it.
    err thats a bummer to have friends like that. I try to not be like that unless im with my other friends that do it too. Most of my friends have no idea that I do it though. Ha :eek:

What would your friends (if they dont know) say if they found out that you did it regularly??
    only some of my mates are like that.

erm... i don't really do coke that often at all, not got the inclination or the money really! almost all my friends i have a meet out through clubbing, so hence drugs aren't really a taboo, maybe certain kinds of drugs between diff groups, but not coke.

my mates at uni generally didn't approve very much though and had no idea how much i really did or what i did.