Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Working with animals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been thinking over what kind of work i want to do now that i have kind of decided i dont want to work in retail.

I really dont know what i'd like to do to be honest with my life and career.

However having seen a show last night ( all-be-it an american one ) i have decided i would quite like working with animals and i just wondered how i would go about getting into that field of work. I know i could do volunteer work ?

I know i can phone a near-by animal centre and speak to someone their, thats possibly my best chance. I just wondered wo work with animals. say going out getting stray dogs and that type of thing, or caring for animals in an animal centre do you need qualifications ?

Comments

• Options
    What about a slaughterhouse?

There's a few up where I live, I'm sure there's one near you.
  • Options
    I want animals that are alive and kicking not animals that are being killed, i detest that.

I want to look after animals

Slaughterhouse.. eugh just the name of it makes me feel sick..... :(

No i want somewhere like an animal sanctuary or whatnot
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    come back on msn :(

I'm back on.

Their used to be an animal place down by portobello i wonder if its still their, they would be worth calling for info perhaps.
  • Options
    Not a veggie are ya? :p

Ok seriously... I'd say the best way in to working with animals, or indeed with most areas of carework is to start volunteering...

Locally at least we have a Cats Protection League which is a charity that takes in cats and sometimes spays feral cats. Went down to their sanctuary a while back and there were so many kittens!

Obviously there's the RSPCA which has shelters and maybe you could look in to training guide dogs or helping train army or police animals.

This page of references has a ton of sanctuaries and stuff... So maybe they'd help.

But yeah, I'd say that volunteering would be the best. Having kept pets and having done a little voluntary work it's rewarding... But if you hadn't done that sort of thing before, you'd have to be prepared for the sort of things you'll see.

For example, I was doing work experience in a vet clinic and the brought in this kitten that had been poisoned and left under a car in a paper bag... It was tiny, palm-sized even and it suddenly got up and looked at me, then fell on its back and made little mewing cries and then... Well, closed its eyes and die.

I don't know you, so I don't know how sensitive you are ect... But you have to be prepared to see things like that, get bitten and scratched and sometimes angry at the sick bastards who do this to animals... It can't be easy (that's why I won't be an RSPCA inspector, because I'd go out bricking people).

Hope that didn't sound condescending... anybody in the field of carework or indeed contemplating it... deseres respect.
  • Options
    Moonrat's already given you loads of useful links, but just to add: www.do-it.org.uk - it has loads of volunteering opportunitites on it and you can search for ones that involve working with animals near you.

Alternatively, it's always a good idea to find a place you'd be interested in helping out and contacting them directly - it shows initiative!
  • Options
    Thank you Spanner.

and thank you Moonrat, i didnt thank you before, how bad of me!

:D