Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Old Laptops For Poor Students

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone come across any scheme where you can get an old laptop for students.

By old I mean really old ... like 486 windows 3.11 type spec - totally useless for anything except typing ?

I met up with this chap today and saw how pooorly he lives in his little student room, no TV, not even a radio and study papers stacked up 8 inches high, and to save money he's lives so far from his central london based uni, he says he spends 4 hours a day on buses to get there and back.

He mainly goes into uni to type up his assignments but I was thinking even if he had the most basic laptop he could stay at home a bit more often and type his assignments and save them to disk and also save himself a long bus journey.

I also say laptop because his room is so small you'd have hard job fitting a desktop in there with monitor.

Do any such schemes exist? If so can someone point me in the right direction so I can let him know.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Your best bet is to go through the uni itself. Or go find the IT department, they can point you in the right direction! or even "lose" and old comp if you ask nicly. They have to get rid of loads of computers every summer when they upgrade, go ask them.

Bopz
  • Options
    I'm actually in a similar situation, I've got an old desk top which I want to give away, its not all that good but it does word processing and excel type things completely fine.

I really dont want to throw it away because computers have all sorts of nasty things in them and in land fill it would poison the earth something nasty.

If you are giving a computer away though make sure you format the hard drive about 5 times to make absolutely sure that its all gone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I'm actually in a similar situation, I've got an old desk top which I want to give away, its not all that good but it does word processing and excel type things completely fine.

I really dont want to throw it away because computers have all sorts of nasty things in them and in land fill it would poison the earth something nasty.

If you are giving a computer away though make sure you format the hard drive about 5 times to make absolutely sure that its all gone.

what you got on it :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    what you got on it :p

Shippment information of this and that, details of all my millions, you know the sort of thing.
  • Options
    theres quite a few companies that refurbish old computers etc with basic software for students

if my mum was here she'd know them but she aint

check ebay
  • Options
    my mate's hobby is building desktop comps-he buys all the bits n pieces cheaply-then sells them working fine to us poor students:p
    i dno bout lap tops though..