Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My singing teacher

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I only started singing lessons (in school) a couple of months ago. My singing teacher is a nice man and he makes me feel comfortable about singing. The problem I have with it is the songs he gives me. He has given me

In Enterprise Of Martial Time (WTF type of song is this?)
Unchained Melody
On The Street Where You Live (My Fair Lady)
Tonight (West Side Story)

I really want newer songs and a different genre from stgeshow type stuff. Even Unchained Melody is like that the way he says I have to sing it. I don't want to sound rude but I want different songs. The other problem is the pitch. I havent got a really high voice but tonight is pretty hard for me to sing because of the high notes in it. It's making me feel really unconfident because I keep losing the note half way because I have to hold a few notes.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: My singing teacher
    Originally posted by Jazza
    I only started singing lessons (in school) a couple of months ago. My singing teacher is a nice man and he makes me feel comfortable about singing. The problem I have with it is the songs he gives me. He has given me

In Enterprise Of Martial Time (WTF type of song is this?)
    Unchained Melody
    On The Street Where You Live (My Fair Lady)
    Tonight (West Side Story)

I really want newer songs and a different genre from stgeshow type stuff. Even Unchained Melody is like that the way he says I have to sing it. I don't want to sound rude but I want different songs. The other problem is the pitch. I havent got a really high voice but tonight is pretty hard for me to sing because of the high notes in it. It's making me feel really unconfident because I keep losing the note half way because I have to hold a few notes.

Just see how you get on with them. If you're serious about singing, I think it's important to learn how to sing all types of music. For example, say ten years from now you're looking for a singing job because you're fed up with the one you've got. They've got a well-paid vacancy for a cabaret act, but only to sing old songs from musicals. Would you turn it down? I'm not saying you'll want to do singing professionally but that's just to re-iterate my point.

Maybe in a few weeks, if he's still giving you the old music, politely ask for something more to your tastes, but I think for now you're alright.
    songs from musicals tend to be the most technically difficult to sing.

if you can sing them, and sing them well, you can sing anything.
    I never really looked at it that way. He says I'm doing pretty well and that I'm clear and confident with the stuff but I guess I just want it easy for the exam. I'll stick into it.

He has a book of Disney songs :D /kiddy
    i studied songs from musicals for 3 years and i got to grade 3 musical theatre with 93%. musicals are great to start with because it gives you stamina for when you start doing 12 song cycles and stuff (not nice!)

i'm now having to go back to grade 1 for my rockschool exams because music theatre doesn't include things like intervals or scales (easy) or rhythm exercises (they are a real bugger). but it's all good.

see if you can do some les miserables or rent, and if you really want modern stuff thats not really crappy then try some david gray stuff (quite easy though), or blur songs (really good if you get stuck on odd wordings and timings). coldplay......is ok but not exactly chalenging, if you really want modern and challenging try soundgarden and pearl jam.....i really struggle with soundgarden songs because they are in really odd keys- the lowness i don't find a problem, but again the wording and timing is weird and key changes mid song.

just wait until you have to start singing songs in french german and italian......mucho fun...not well the german is ok cos i can wingal in some rammstein....