Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finding work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Kinda arent but im fed up of looking for work, ive essentially given up at the moment, No employer ever gets back to me, which really pisses me off its just plain rude.

Some of you might remember me mentioning a few months back i was made redundant, i thought 2 years retail / warehouse / merchandising experience would count for something but it seems not.

It just really annoys me, and has gotten me down somewhat.

Im on JSA but to be honest there is no incentive here to find work when you get no responce from an employer. I walked around a local shopping centre handing out my CV. Waste of my time tbh.... Nothing is ever simple in the world of Richeh!

Does anyone have any tips or similar experiences or anyting they can input. I could use it. Like i said ive currently given up loking for work because its starting to get to me a bit now.

Took me ages to get a job in dixons, a year and 4 interviews to be exact then i lose it through no fault of my own.

Everything is just really going shitty for me at the moment and i dont know what to do to make things better, particularly finding work, because what it comes down to is i need money.

Thanks. Rich

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Job-hunting really is poor, and can get you down but at the end of the day you just have to be persistant, keep looking and keep handing out CV's.

Something is bound to turn up, it always does :)
    Oh and this is a pretty handy site, for searching and advice and things.. http://jobsite.co.uk/
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Oh and this is a pretty handy site, for searching and advice and things.. http://jobsite.co.uk/

:D thanks
    And don't forget all our helpful content:

Careers section
    Work and volunteering section

Oh yeah, and our sister site, www.do-it.org.uk is great if you fancy doing asome volunteering while you are out of work. It's a good way of keeping busy, getting new skills and having something to put on your CV other than 'unemployed'.

:)
    Retail experience seems to count for nothing - most employers will only even LOOK at staff with experience but seem to think it's not worth paying them any extra for their prior experience and knowledge. I got offered a job at H Samuels on £4.10 an hour - I've got over 3 years retail experience, and when I started at my old job 3 years prior to applying at HS, I got £4.25 an hour! Do they really think people are dumb enough to back-track?
    My new job pays £5 an hour :)
    I hink the fact im being very picky about what i want to do isnt helping, nor the fact being picky about my hourly rate. But theres nothing wrong with going for work i know im capable of doing, although yeh previous knowledge seems to count for nothing these days
    Originally posted by Richeh
    I hink the fact im being very picky about what i want to do isnt helping, nor the fact being picky about my hourly rate. But theres nothing wrong with going for work i know im capable of doing, although yeh previous knowledge seems to count for nothing these days

For me, that could be a good thing. I'll be 20 in two months time and still haven't worked a day in my life. I've never needed the money, that's why. And before anyone asks, I'm not claiming any benefits nor do I intend to. However, if it does count for nothing, I might actually have a chance, however remote.
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    For me, that could be a good thing. I'll be 20 in two months time and still haven't worked a day in my life. I've never needed the money, that's why. And before anyone asks, I'm not claiming any benefits nor do I intend to. However, if it does count for nothing, I might actually have a chance, however remote.

Lucky for some ;)
    Indeed luckly for some......
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Indeed luckly for some......

Oh, what? I just said I didn't need the money in the past, But I do now. I've got to find a job, and the prospect is terrifying me.
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    Oh, what? I just said I didn't need the money in the past, But I do now. I've got to find a job, and the prospect is terrifying me.

Lucky for some that they don't need the money...:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Kath2003:
    Lucky for some that they don't need the money...
    Huh? Please explain.
    pretty easy really. you've never needed to work to get money. most other people have.

not that difficult to understand really.
    By me most employers say we are looking for someone with a bit more experience. Which is a pain in the arse coz how the fuck can someone get experience if no one is going to employ them in the first place.

I have put my cv into loads of places and most of them don’t get back to me and if they do it is to say sorry but we are looking for someone with more experience

Been looking for a job since I left college in june.
    pissing me off now
    I went job hunting for my first job yesterday. I walked into a shop that I had previously handed a cv to, and heard nothing. There wasn't a 'vacancies' sign, but I went in to ask anyway.

I walked in, asked a member of staff who pointed me to the manager. I sat down, and had a full blown interview in the middle of the shop, and was offered a job on the spot. It's at £5.60 an hour too. (My first job ever!!)

I say, you just have to be assertive. Ask in places even if they're not advertising in their window. And even if they have no vacancies, ask to leave a copy of your cv with them anyway in case a vacancy does come up.

Ilora x
    Richeh, it depends on what sort of work you are looking for.

I've (so far) found Reed recruitment to be a good temping agency, got a job straight away.
    Originally posted by mad_maryuk
    By me most employers say we are looking for someone with a bit more experience. Which is a pain in the arse coz how the fuck can someone get experience if no one is going to employ them in the first place.

Temping.
    you never fail, you just give up.