Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dissertation help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could offer me any ideas for my disseration, or at least point me in right direction where I can buy a gun if you havn't got any diss ideas :)

I'm studying criminology and criminal justice BA and have decided to study terrorism for my disseration - nice topical subject. The only problem is that I can't refine my question. I have thought about doing it on motivations for terrorism, as that is my main interest but I don't think that will work as it would be difficult to talk to terrorists :D and I don't think it would be the same piece without that. I think that I am better at criminology rather than criminal justice, so I would prefer to do something with that. Has anyone got any ideas - I would be very grateful :D:D:D:D

Thanks y'all :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    criminology is how criminals minds work, right...?

how about doing something on criminolgy and religion, focussing on terrorism. now that most deffinately is topical.
    Hi,

Yes criminology deals with definitions of criminal behaviour, what makes certain acts come to be defined as criminal whilst other behaviour is not - very interesting!

Thanks for the ideas :-) I really appreciate both of them!!!!

Theydon Bois
    I have certainly considered doing my diss on terrorism and religion, and am in the middle of a book that trys to move away from a Western explanation of Islam. Its just that nothing has grabbed me yet, normally when I am reading books I end up being full of questions, but so far, nothing. I think I prob just need to read more on it and maybe it will come - but thanks, that is certainly something I will consider :-) Poss, "Why do certain religions seem to breed terrorist groups?

girl with sharp teeth
    I totally agree about certain states being terrorist states - oops did I just say America then :-) The only prob that I have encountered is that when I have spoke to my criminology lecturer, and also my diss tutor neither seem to hot on the idea! Just before I read your post, I got to thinking, is this because of the new terrorism laws in both UK and America? maybe the university don't want me doing a dissertation on such a dodgy subject! Its just my speculative mind going into overdrive :-) It just seems funny that when I first mentioned doing my diss on definitions of terrorism, ie how certain groups are classed as terrorist, but not countries, I just met with a blank wall! Thats why i came to university - to slag off the governments of countries :-) Your suggestion for further reading is great, thank you, I have a book on the very topic just waiting to be read, after I have finnished the other three that are waiting - oh the joys of being a student!!

Anyway, thank you both for replying, and I will certainly have your ideas in mind whilst I am doing my research, you are both very kind :-)
    Originally posted by teresa

"Why do certain religions seem to breed terrorist groups?
    This you'd have to be careful not to put in sweeping statements ;) I mean it is very obvious, (or atleast the media would have you believe) that most of worst terrorist groups who are associated with a relgion, are of the islamic faith. this would most probably relate to the fact that alot of the less wealthy areas of the world are of the islamic faith, so there are many factors involved (lots to write about though :thumb: )

Anyway, thank you both for replying, and I will certainly have your ideas in mind whilst I am doing my research, you are both very kind :-)

you're most welcome :)
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois

This you'd have to be careful not to put in sweeping statements ;) I mean it is very obvious, (or atleast the media would have you believe) that most of worst terrorist groups who are associated with a relgion, are of the islamic faith. this would most probably relate to the fact that alot of the less wealthy areas of the world are of the islamic faith, so there are many factors involved (lots to write about though :thumb: )

Sorry I should have qualified that, If I were to do that as my disseration it would be so I could have turned the question on its head and pointed that their are other factors to consider than just someones religion. I just need to read more on Islam to be able to argue against the media representation of what Islam actually is

But thanks you have been very helpful, I will come here again

:D
    sounds like you've got your topic sorted then :thumb:

But thanks you have been very helpful

:) glad to be of assistance... dunno how I managed *is a physicist*:p
    Avoid discussing al Qaeda and the Bush administration. As any half-decent politico will tell you, the empirical evidence and the literature are not there, and the effects of 11/9 and it's afetrmath are still yet to be felt.

Chile would be a good place to start looking.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Avoid discussing al Qaeda and the Bush administration. As any half-decent politico will tell you, the empirical evidence and the literature are not there, and the effects of 11/9 and it's afetrmath are still yet to be felt.

Chile would be a good place to start looking.

Hi Kermit,

I can see where you are coming from, I must admit I do not really want to go for the obvious examples of terrorism as I want to be as original as I can be. I like the idea of doing somewhere like Chile, that is certainly original, but I am just having a crisis of confidence about my abilities at the moment - I just don't know if I am up to taking on a completly new subject. - but perhaps when my crisis has gone, it wouldn't hurt to turn my attention to Chile :-)

I've just had a think about what I am good at when it comes to my Criminology and Criminal justice course and I seem to be better at critically evaluating theories rather than assessing the criminal justice system in reltion to terrorism. So for the moment I am seriously thinking that I should critically evaluate criminological and sociological theories of terrorism. I will see how the research for that goes :-) I'm in my second year any way so i can always revert back to doing a case study of a particular country, its just for the moment I have to hand in a 2,000 word outline of my research proposal by Jan 18, hense the panicking :-)

Thanks Kermit :D
    I remember your name from when I used to visit this site two years ago, my name was tre0127, but I didn't post that much. Nice to see you are still here, giving great advice :D
    Chile would be a good case study to apply criminological theories, because of the coup and because of the legal state-endorsed terror. It'd be the same in Cambodia too.

The theory is important in the dissertation, but it needs to be grounded in reality. Comparing and contrasting the theory and the political reality in somewhere like Chile would be quite interesting, I think.

And no, I still don't have a life:)
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The theory is important in the dissertation, but it needs to be grounded in reality. Comparing and contrasting the theory and the political reality in somewhere like Chile would be quite interesting, I think.

And no, I still don't have a life:)

Yes, I can see your point bout the theory needing a practical example :) Chile it is then, as that appeals to me more than any other country - well except for situation in Russia/ Chechnya, but I just don't think I will get the same wealth of info - Do you think?

You must have more of a life than you realise, you've picked up an awful lot of knowledge along the way
    Yes, I can see your point bout the theory needing a practical example :) Chile it is then, as that appeals to me more than any other country - well except for situation in Russia/ Chechnya, but I just don't think I will get the same wealth of info - Do you think?

Cambodia and the Killing Fields have a lot of literature about them, as do the Contras in Nicaragua.

You must have more of a life than you realise, you've picked up an awful lot of knowledge along the way

Pheh, I did a law and politics degree:)
    Originally posted by Bunnykins
    Where are you studying by the way?

You could try reading.
    Originally posted by Bunnykins
    You could try having some Christmas spirit you moody git :p

I could.

But it's not Christmas yet;)