Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, this is just because I'm nosy and I am genuinely interested in this stuff...sadly.

If you have a job, what is it, and do you like it? Is it your fulltime job what you want to be doing for the rest of your life? Or is it just a part time one while you study at uni/college etc?

I'll answer me own question. I'm a qualified nursery nurse, whos just come back from working as a childrens rep abroad for 7 months. I'm going back next Summer, but I'm currently working at Asda until then to save up some cash.

How about youuu?

Comments

• Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    This should be >>> Here
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I work in a shop. It's close to full time (30 hour contract), which suits me quite well, as I work from 11 til 5, great since I'm not exactly a morning person!
    I have it because I gave up my Uni course last june for various reasons, and just needed a job for a while which was relatively easy, involved no work at home and which was fairly unrelated to what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Luckily, it's not just a standard till job, and it allows me to work with one of my great passions in life, books, which is great. The only thing I hate about it is the customers... perfectly ordinary people turn into demanding monsters the minute they walk through the door... I don't understand it! It has made me consider working in a place with books where others involved will be less demanding of perfection, such as a library, and I might look into that next year when I'm planning to move on, although I have the problem of there being several incredibly unrelated areas where I might want to work in the future!
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    This should be >>> Here

Ok then. The mods can move it. I don't really care...
    I word for The Perfume Shop on a Sunday for 6 hours, in addition to me being a student. And I love working there :)
    I work in the club part-time. Just work on the floor, though help out behind the bar when they need me. Generally I hate working behind the bar cause I don't have the patience for the drunks. On the floor is sooo much easier. I do love it though it has it's off points.

Oooo and doing a course on Health Studies then hope to go to Dundee to do Physiotherapy.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm presently a Telecoms Engineer working for NEC. It's intresting (I have to use my lump every now and again) and I enjoy it, but it's extremely stressful.
    I've had a few jobs but this is probably what I'll stick at for as long as possible. I always promised myslef I'd never get a job workign inside but it pays too well, I have my own assistant to use as a skivy, and I have a company motor. :D

I can always fall back on the fact I have qualifictaions as a Greenkeeper but for the moment I'm happy.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm at uni and at the moment do volunteer work for the Brownies and Rainbows. In January I have a job as a teachers assistant in a primary school working one day a week. I want to get onto a PGCE primary course, so I'm kinda doing what I want to be doing for the rest of my life.
    I work part time at the Barracuda Bar in Wrexham. As a kitchen porter. I think I've said quite enough :crying:

I fucking hate the job, I'm just lucky most of the staff there are nice and friendly. I need a full time job but it's the Christmas period and there's fuck all going :(
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind

Oooo and doing a course on Health Studies then hope to go to Dundee to do Physiotherapy.

Christ, please tell me that was a joke :eek: ;)

I work for Mecca Bingo. It sucks.
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Christ, please tell me that was a joke :eek: ;)

Aye, I just did it for your benefit... :chin:
    A place like that could do with having a great gal like me :D haha
    Originally posted by star*
    whats wrong with that?

Thank you huni :p
    Yes I know, I should be in me bed
    *Yawns* I'm going - I'm going hehe
    Originally posted by star*
    whats wrong with that?

Because it's where I live, maybe? :razz:
    I work in the club part-time.

Is it a club in Belfast at all?

I'm a tender of bars and have been for the last couple of months I've been in Edinburgh. It's a cool pub that doesn't get too busy most of the time so I can just talk to the regulars and take it easy. I've worked in a busy city centre bar before and it was wank compared to this!

I only work 12 hours a week because I'm in uni, but this is by far the best job I've had.
    Right.

I'm a full time student at uni, and i have a job working behind the bar in a club up here. I do about 12 hours a week, sometimes more, the pay's really not great but i have a laugh - i get on really well with everyone i work with, and it gives me a bit more cash to spend on the nights that i'm not working :) They also employ a lot of students so there's no problem with me not being there over the holidays.

When i'm at home, i temp full time, in Mayfair, which pays a hell of a lot better but isn't as fun because you don't get to know people. I type mainly, but i also file. Which is incredibly dull.
    I'm a till monkey 16 hours a week at Tesco. Jobs not great, could be worse. It's something to do.
    At least I have some money now. But problem is I don't do anything other than 16 hours a week usually...too much spare time on my hands.
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter

Yeah in the Odyessy - Ya know Precious?
    Bah this subject makes me depressed :(
    At the minute i am looking for a job. Although i do have the one i have had for the past 2 years, i work part time at Tesco although the past month/couple of months i have been doing lots of over time 40+ hours a week to save up a bit of money for erm something.

I start in 20 minutes actually, best get moving...
    Yeah in the Odyessy - Ya know Precious?

Ah yeh I've heard of it, it's meant to be quite exclusive isn't it? I can't say I've ever been though, I don't go to the Odyssey all that much.
    i'm a copywriter for a website. this involves me writing stuff, pissing about with photoshop, tinkering with prices and uploading everything.

i like it. it's pretty laid back and i NEVER have to deal with customers, which is absolutely the best part of my job. don't know if i'll do it forever, but i wouldn't mind.
    Ah yeh I've heard of it, it's meant to be quite exclusive isn't it? I can't say I've ever been though, I don't go to the Odyssey all that much.

Aye well Precious use to be strictly only members. (Though not anymore) Which was filled with upper class people and when ones were doing concerts in the Arena - they would usually came over. Get Westlife and Brian McFadden there when they're in Belfast.

Then ya have Coyote that is joined to it. I love it when I'm put in there cause we have male and female dancers on the bar. Getting Brazillian dancers in on Friday to promote this new drink. Naturally I have to go in for that :p
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    I word for The Perfume Shop on a Sunday for 6 hours, in addition to me being a student. And I love working there :)
    I applied there, had an interview and she said she'd phone in a couple of days 'if she had gotten her act together', if not, she said.. 'I'll phone within the next week'.

I heard nothing. :rolleyes: :mad:

Ilora x

ETA: Job?? - I don't work. I have social anxiety which makes it extremely hard to work, so I'm a bum atm, until I get my anxiety sorted... lol.
    i work for a bank but im not allowed to tell you what i do :p

I'm a tender of bars and have been for the last couple of months I've been in Edinburgh. It's a cool pub that doesn't get too busy most of the time so I can just talk to the regulars and take it easy. I've worked in a busy city centre bar before and it was wank compared to this!

I only work 12 hours a week because I'm in uni, but this is by far the best job I've had.

What pub d'you work at? I'm coming in for a pint :p

I'm 17, so don't ID me, k? :razz:
    yeah what bar u at tim ? i'll come for a pint too any excuse to get pissed :D
    Originally posted by rossco
    yeah what bar u at tim ? i'll come for a pint too any excuse to get pissed :D

You stay at Corstorphine? That's like, 5 minutes away from me. My local is the Corrie Inn :D
    Haha yeh youse should do! It's called the Sheep Heid Inn, it's away on the other side of town from Corstorphine though, round the side of Arthur's Seat. It's in a village called Duddingston, about 25 minutes walk from the uni.

It's kinda hard to describe more than that because it's not near anywhere else that I know, but youse should come in!
    Im at college doing my a-levels, but i have a part time job at debenhams in the lingerie department :D
    I work in a call centre for a chain of high street stores. I hate it. I loathe it. It stresses me out and contributes to my insomnia and poor sleep patterns. Christmas is the worst time of all. The phone hardly ever stops ringing, and there's never enough time to do your job properly, and that generates more problems and more stress.
    There's good stress, and there's bad stress. The job is pure bad stress. I want out. I'm seriously considering quitting the job before Xmas as I feel I'll just crack this Christmas. And the worst thing is it'll ruin my Christmas and New Year again.
    I want a new job NOW. And I don't want to have to even speak to customers ever again, let alone do a job where I have to meet them face to face. I've had enough of them. I'm sick of them, and they're making me sick. :(
    The only thing I hate about it is the customers... perfectly ordinary people turn into demanding monsters
    Kate1 has it there. What is it that turns them into absolutely abusive mental bastards and bitches, hell bent on making your life an absolute misery - and often because they're so thick as to forget to keep a receipt, or check the terms & conditions or returns policy before buying. Some of them just deserve a slap and to be told to shut the fuck up and behave themselves as they're an embarassment to society.
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    What is it that turns them into absolutely abusive mental bastards and bitches, hell bent on making your life an absolute misery - and often because they're so thick as to forget to keep a receipt, or check the terms & conditions or returns policy before buying. Some of them just deserve a slap and to be told to shut the fuck up and behave themselves as they're an embarassment to society.
    :lol:

Call centres are bad for you :yes:

Have you got any amusing anecdotes of stupidity?

I work at a private hospital when I'm not being a student, and I'm on the phone to patients about their bills and things all day long. Normally it's good fun, but you do get morons. We had one woman in the summer who rang up after she got her invoice and said that she didn't realise it was a private hospital when she had her Xray and couldn't afford the bill. Yes it's private, luv - you wouldn't get a routine chest xray the same day on the NHS. :lol: