Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drug Testing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It just seemed an un-necessary comparison.

I can see your point though, obviously a company doesnt want to have public knowledge of its staff being drug users.

However, it is unlikely to really be a public issue, unless of course the staff member has a serious problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    because anti-war protesters dont vote.

Rubbish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Rubbish.

Come on, how many of those standing in Hyde Park actually get out and vote, a third maybe.

I maintain that if everyone there had written to their MP it would have made a lot more impact.
  • Options
    Come on, how many of those standing in Hyde Park actually get out and vote, a third maybe.

And on what evidence do you base this assertion?
    I maintain that if everyone there had written to their MP it would have made a lot more impact.

Then you're more naive than I thought.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Then you're more naive than I thought.

What, because it made such an impact anyway? It couldnt have done less could it!

It probably would have gone ahead anyway, but a couple of million angry letters arriving at the Commons would have at least made a little impact.
  • Options
    The government were going to do it anyway. Shuffling politely round London waving placards or writing letters to MP's - neither are going to make a blind bit of difference.

Mass civil disobedience, blockades of army bases, a general strike etc. They might have been better tactics.
  • Options
    Maybe you're right, but the public dont have the appetite for general strikes.

To put it bluntly just not enough people cared enough.
  • Options
    We managed to get rid of the Poll Tax (or at least get it renamed to Council Tax). Mass organisation and civil disobedience can work.
  • Options
    So if we re-named the war that would be ok?

Of course they can work, but I just dont think people objected to the war enough.