Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Too Much Sleep.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I cannot drag myself out of bed in the mornings right now. I find it near impossible to get to sleep before 2am, then I wake up several times in the night, and even if I set an alarm in the morning I turn it off and fall back asleep. I tend to be getting 12 hours and feeling really tired at the end of it.

Any ideas for anything that can help? My body shouldn't need so much sleep and I'm desperate to get a good sleeping pattern back!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. and go to bed at the proper time.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. and go to bed at the proper time.

I already do that. It is on the other side of the room and I have to get up to turn it off. I also go to bed at the proper time and cannot sleep for hours and hours! It's a pain...
    Thats exactly what ive been having for the last 2 weeks or so, i can't get to sleep most of the time until i force myself to at about 4/5 am then i sleep all day even when i try to get up so i don't loose the day, and all i do is get up about 4 and get ready and go to work!
    ive tried just taking a strong paracetamol about 11 ish to try and make me drowsy! although thats not the best idea, but maybe you should try those nytol sleeping tablets or something from the doctors to help to get to sleep earlier in the evening, so your not sleeping all threw the day.
    thats what i'm going to do, although its probably because your body clock is messed up and got stuck in a routine of doing that everyday :yes:
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    I already do that. It is on the other side of the room and I have to get up to turn it off. I also go to bed at the proper time and cannot sleep for hours and hours! It's a pain...

Well if you already have to get out of bed to turn it off, just don't go back to bed, leave your room right away for brekkie or a shower.
    Leave a window open as well.
    u might want to cut down on caffiene and sugar intake before bed time... if thats not the case u might want to try exercise a bit, used to happen to me, turned out that i had a lot of energy left before i slept so u simply have to get rid of it.

reading might also work...
    Originally posted by **sugar**
    ive tried just taking a strong paracetamol about 11 ish to try and make me drowsy! although thats not the best idea, but maybe you should try those nytol sleeping tablets or something from the doctors to help to get to sleep earlier in the evening, so your not sleeping all threw the day.
    B]

Paracetamol will not actually affect your sleeping what so ever, apart from the placebo effect.
    If you're still smoking cannabis its probably that.
    Chaos. I know exactly what you mean about the bad sleep, and bad sleep patterns. I've always slept poorly. I'm having another one of those nights again right now. Exhausted earlier on, fell asleep, now I can't sleep. When I do sleep it's only for a few hours, and sometimes even when I'm shattered I still can't sleep.
    I've tried all sorts over the past few years. Just about all the hints and tips there are going, but no luck. :(
    Originally posted by Basic Instinct
    If you're still smoking cannabis its probably that.

Any basis for that?
    Leave a window open, drink a hot chocolate and have a shower before bed. All these apparently aid sleep, thats what the doctors told me when i said i dont get enough sleep, do it occasionally and it works rather well!
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Any basis for that?

Not really just a lot of my mates who smoke it said they find it harder to get up in the mornings since smoking it than they ever did.
    Originally posted by Basic Instinct
    Not really just a lot of my mates who smoke it said they find it harder to get up in the mornings since smoking it than they ever did.
    been there ...caining it day after day causes much laziness ...but please don't blame the cannabis ...blame the abuse thereof.
    not that i'm against a little over indulgence myself but ...if you cain it your poor old body has to recover.
    Try to make sure you go to bed at the same time every night at a normal time, say ten or eleven, and set your alarm for the same time every morning. Not permanently, just try it for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. Your body gets used to a certain sleep pattern after a while and can't shake it off, which is probably why you're in this situation now, (going to nightclubs too often ;)) If you can't get to sleep right away, stay in bed but read a book or play games on your phone. It might not be a good idea to drink before bed as you might need the loo in the night, but just try to wind down before bed slowly, and try to relax yourself in bed with slow breathing, in and out.

I think the average sleep time needed for an adult is 8 hours, but everyone is different. Try to aim for that.
    Leave the window open? That stops me sleeping, I found when I kept myself warm (i live in the roof, no heating and a window that won't close fully) the more heat, the cosier and more drowsy I get. I'm a sod for sleeping - used to have a similar pattern to you whenever I had school holidays and stuff and now it's like, if I'm awake till 2am I force myself out of bed at 7.30am however much I piss myself off it does good. I may be tuckered through the day but plonk to bed at a decent hour and try to maintain that hour each day. I used to have herbal drops and tabs as well - it won't knock you out, but will calm you down. Also if I use this late at night (like now!) then I can expect to stay awake with a buzzing mind for an hour a half. Give yourself time to shut down and get into sleep mode. I also have a scent sprayed on my pillow (got it from boots). When I'm close to nodding off, I spray a bit on. After a while I've started to associate the smell with sleep and so, when I lie me head down and smell it, sleep comes quicker...!!

malt Munk xxx :):):)