Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Banning Student Support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone else ever been told that they are not allowed to use student support facilities, like counselling, at university :confused: - The reason I'm asking is because I'm not. :lol:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well thats a VERY new one on me...

under what circumstances were you 'banned' ?:confused:
    That sounds dubious, unless you have opted out of being a member of the Students' Union or you are subject to disciplinary action.
    under what circumstances were you 'banned' ?
    Apparantly, I'm banned because ages ago, I had some counselling at the university and they felt that I became too dependant on them then (-I was VERY desperate at the time and was in a situation which was too overwhelming to cope with!) so now, ages later, they say that they refuse to offer me any student support at all, no matter what the circumstances.
    is it just you they've told or is it everyone?
    - Only me :lol:
    That sounds dubious, unless you have opted out of being a member of the Students' Union or you are subject to disciplinary action.
    - I am a member of the students union
    and I have not been subject to any disciplinary action at all.
    the circumstances you have just described are ridiculous in the extreme. I really cannot see any rhyme, reason or logic to this at all.

what institution is this? If the situation is exactley as you have described; contact the NUS and speak to them about your situation.
    the circumstances you have just described are ridiculous in the extreme.
    - I AGREE! - Am I wrong that the very point of counselling is when you are having trouble coping with *things* and you need someone to talk to about *stuff*??? - which is now, and I'm not allowed any :lol: + :banghead:
    what institution is this?
    - Staffordshire University.
    Where they under the *false* impression that you were "wasting" their time. If so that may explain their actions a little bit....?

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Where they under the *false* impression that you were "wasting" their time. If so that may explain their actions a little bit....?
    - I really don't think so and I certinally hope not!
    Originally posted by otter
    - I AGREE! - Am I wrong that the very point of counselling is when you are having trouble coping with *things* and you need someone to talk to about *stuff*??? - which is now, and I'm not allowed any :lol: + :banghead:
    - Staffordshire University.
    This seems utterly ridiculous. What is the point of student services if they aren't prepared to serve their students.

Write to the vice chancellor .

From what you've said it just seems totally unreasonable. Do you have a GP who could write to them to explain why you need their help?
    who actually told you this or made the final decision.

from my experience here (Birmingham), ALOT of the studentn service provision is carried out by the students themselves, including the counselling service. Students also have a habit of running into the running of things with no backup, thinking their raw intelligence will suffice in terms of practical ability to maintain an operation.

I went on a course (i wont say which) for a listening service run by students in the Uni. Worst training course i have EVER seen, they obviously had little experience in running this. Ive worked many training seminars in a major conference hotel and this was not up to scratch.

I urge you to approach the people who made this ruling and attempt to find out who it was or which body was responsable and deal with them in terms of what options of recourse you have.

On the information you have described this seems ridiculous beyond belief, i mean seriously crazy. Have you described to us everything that could be relevant? If you havent of there are things that you would rather not discuss on a public board, please make sure you tell whoever you go to about this the whole story. I only say this in case theres something you havent told us.

but on the face of it, no. This is silly and the NUS will make mince meat of this if you approach them about it.
    Edited. Replied to first question without reading the thread :o
    who actually told you this or made the final decision
    - The counselling service themselves.
    ALOT of the student service provision is carried out by the students themselves, including the counselling service.
    - It's not quite like that here at Staffs Uni. The counselling service is staffed by staff: counsellors, not students.
    the NUS will make mince meat of this if you approach them about it
    - I might just do that, but I wouldn't want any confidential files - like what I've talked to about the counselling service to before - to be made avaliable to just anybody to read through. I know it seems absolutly rediculous beyond belief, but that is how it is and is all of it.
    Thank you for your advice, it is really appreciated.
    Otter.
    let us know how this turns out, i cant say as i can see how they can defend this position tbh...
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    let us know how this turns out, i cant say as i can see how they can defend this position tbh...

Perhaps they can defend this position. No offence to otter, but we don't know the other side of the story do we? There could be something quite vital that is being missed out.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    There could be something quite vital that is being missed out.
    - well... if there is... I'd sure like to know about it!

Their story is that I was "too dependant" on them before - as far as even I know, that's it - thats what it all comes down to.
    They couldn't reveal confidential files because of the Data Protection Act.

You should be able to appeal the decision to the highest body in the University, and if that fails you should go on to the NUS.
    Perhaps they can defend this position. No offence to otter, but we don't know the other side of the story do we? There could be something quite vital that is being missed out.

i think i already said that mate:)
    Right, perhaps it is unfair, I can't really say, but why would you actually want their help now they've denied it you? Surely you'd be sitting there the whole time knowing that they didn't want to help and them knowing they had declined you help? Wouldn't that be detrimental to the healing process anyway?

Perhaps the counselling services felt that the last time you sought help from them that your problems were beyond their expertise. Did they refer you to anywhere that you failed to attend, or were you beginning to turn to them daily for help? If so perhaps they are worried that there resources are not sufficient to meet your needs and believe you should try somewhere else to start with that can better help you from the beginning.
    you'd be sitting there the whole time knowing that they didn't want to help
    Firstly, I'm sure if I were sitting there, it would mean that they would want to help. I think I would be grateful for any help. Counselling is not easy to come by generally, and a little help is better than absolutly none at all! -
    And even so, I don't see how in a counselling relationship that couldn't be worked through.
    detrimental to the healing process
    :confused:
    Did they refer you to anywhere that you failed to attend
    No!
    or were you beginning to turn to them daily for help?
    Again, No! - although admitably there was one stage when I had to have 2 sessions a week for a couple of weeks instead of 1. And at one point I was in a crisis which was short lived - I think this is where the "dependancy" thing comes from???
    If so perhaps they are worried that there resources are not sufficient to meet your needs and believe you should try somewhere else to start with that can better help you from the beginning.
    Perhaps the counselling services felt that the last time you sought help from them that your problems were beyond their expertise
    - Fucking hell you make me sound like some sort of freak!
    And WTF anyway, - you don't know me or anything about my circumstances: then or now.

Okay, I do realize you're only trying to help; but you are guessing - and there is such a thing as going too far and jumping to conclusions, without knowing anything at all! I started this thread because I wanted some advice and to know if anyone else had ever been put in a similar situation - not to be judged on things I haven't even done wrong!
    I'm trying to see it from their side. I don't think student support services take those kind of decisions lightly to be honest.
    And also, in terms of the counselling service; I don't see how it's right to judge me and exclude me forever because once upon a time (i.e. once) I was in a crisis and I was dependant on them.

If being dependant is such a crime - somebody should have discussed it with me; rather than just punish me and exclude me for it!

It's hard enough just to try to approach someone for some help without being told just to:-

go away, we can't offer you any support, when we saw you before you were "too dependant", now just go away oh... and don't come back... ever... because nothing will ever change... we are here for every other student except you... and no matter what ever happens in your life - we will NEVER see you... you're NOT allowed to talk to anybody... and I want you to remember that for future reference... goodbye.

:lol: + :crying: + :banghead: + :confused: + :crying:

- end of rant!
    Sorry, but I really wanted to get that out! :(
    Have you discussed this with anyone else in the uni? eg personal tutor? they may be able to help?
    go away, we can't offer you any support, when we saw you before you were "too dependant", now just go away oh... and don't come back... ever... because nothing will ever change... we are here for every other student except you... and no matter what ever happens in your life - we will NEVER see you... you're NOT allowed to talk to anybody... and I want you to remember that for future reference... goodbye.

Well honesty is the best policy - I don't believe they said that to you. Good luck getting it sorted.
    And yes, although they might have phrased it slightly nicer - that is exactly how it is, and I stand by what I've said.

It was a rant and it did get out a lot of feelings - Can't you understand that?

Can't you understand how it feels to ask someone for some support and be told to go away - when you've got to cope with other traumatic things happening in your life?

Thanks for not believing me.

And although I agree with you, there are 2 sides to every story. This is my side. I'm the one asking for help here not them, so, why are you defending them? and why are you judging me?
    I'm the one asking for help here not them, so, why are you defending them? and why are you judging me?

They aren't here to defend themselves. I don't believe in giving out oodles of often misplaced sympathy without knowing the otherside of the story.

I'm not judging you. I've never met you. But I honestly believe that there must be another, very valid side to it.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't believe in giving out oodles of often misplaced sympathy without knowing the otherside of the story.
    Fair enough.

Although I doubt you will ever find a thread on this website that encorporates both sides of 1 story. I've said as much as I know of their side of the story - I can't do anymore than that really, can I; without guessing?

And I didn't want "sympathy" - I wanted some advice, as I think I've said before.
    I'm not judging you. I've never met you. But I honestly believe that there must be another, very valid side to it.

replaced must with could, and im inclined to agree; otter come back to this thread when you've got somewhere in the real world with this problem, theres little else anyone can do for you on here :thumb:
    :thumb:

And thanx 2 everyone who has posted!

Otter.