Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What should I do??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya,

I have a new job at megabowl. When i went for the interview I gave all my available hours. I worked on fri and sun which was great, but this week I was given an extra day to work (sat) which I can't do because I work elsewhere in the morning and its long to work twice in one day when I don't need to. Plus, Megabowl closes at 1am and I only need to work 2 days a week. I have no means of getting home, I don't drive, its dark, and not very safe to walk around at 1am etc etc.

So, i tell my manager this and I understandably get the stick. I know I have given the hours, and I should have given only 2 days a week but I just didn't think at the time.

So I have to speak to the manager on Fri and I will apologise.

Im just wondering if I could be at risk of getting the sack for it because he did say that I have got the job because I can do the hours they want. (I was not told this). Should I still look for another job?

Comments

• Options
    They may see it as a problem if they were expecting you to work every saturday.
    Were they not just asking you to come in and cover someone? If this was the case I doubt they would sack you, might just have a word with you or at worst give you a warning or something.
    Make sure you tell them you are unable to do any future saturdays and they might make arrangements for you to work a different day of the week.
  • Options
    First you need to check your contract of employment and figure out how important this job is to you.

If you have been there less than a year, they can legally fire you for no reason so be careful about turning down work you could actually carry out.

There will always be someone flexible willing to work more hours waiting in the wings.

Perhaps you could work smatrer - try *another link removed - spam* for more ideas.

Good Luck
  • Options
    spam.jpg