Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A work rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just need to rant to somebody about my job. First off I hate it. It's in retail. I waslk around making things look nice in a store that sells shit for bed and bath and kitchen. I die a little more inside every day I work there. Every single fucking person you see you have to say hello and ask them if they are finding everything all right, if they need a cart and if they need help. I have been given "classes" on nearly every major section of shit in there so when somebody does ask a question I could give them a long detailed thing that quite frankly nobody wants to hear. All they want is a damn coffee maker, they don't want to know what its made out of and how every thing works, thats what directions are for. Then you are supposed to be one of those assholes who tries to make them buy more shit after they've already got something.

Now yes, I hate this and think it has to be the worst thing you could do. I think it's all emense crap. But its a job and you've gotta do what you gotta do, right.

But theres more. Friday I go into work, and for some god forsaken reason I look at the schedule. I already knew the schedule but I looked anyways. I was supposed to have Saturday off, you know, the day right after the day this happened, and work Sunday. But I see Sunday crossed off and now I worked Saturday. One day before they did this. Nobody said a word to me, nobody asked if it was ok that they did that, nobody even said anything to me that they had. So I thought fuck it, I'm not heading into work when I was supposed to have it off. Maybe if somebody had asked if it was alright or even said one fucking word to me than it would have been different. I would have gone. But no.

And another thing. Every week I've worked there I've had 37.5 hours. 35-40 hours a week is full time. When you work full time you get dental, health insurance, all the works. But I'm kept at part time. Therefore eliminating the fun stuff they would have to dish out for me. That means that last week when I was dying, all I could do was sit and take some otc cough medicine and hope for the best. This means that I cannot afford to buy my alergy medicines or anti depressents. Every time I need a new inhaler I have to spend pretty much every penny I own on the cost of it. All because they want to be assholes. Technically I work enough to be full time. They make me work enough to be that but they refuse to consider me anything other than part time therefore reducing their cheap ass fuckness. What they do is bullshit.

So all in all, today I've come to the conclusion that if they are going to fuck me over so royally that I'm just going to fuck it and do as I wish. That means not coming into work yesterday, and for that matter, today either. Lets just say that today instead of going to work, I'm going to call up a friend and look for a new job.

Comments

• Options
    I work in retail and it's what you make of it. Talk to the customers instead of "walking around making things look nice". There is never any excuse for boredom in retail, there's always something to do, but yes, it can get a bit monotonous but the public help to overcome that ;)
    And oddly enough, you ARE expected to help customers and have a wide range of knowledge, that's what you're paid for. If you hate it, get out of retail! And yes, companies are evil to employees, but stand up for yourself instead of moaning on here -"I'm afraid one day's notice isn't enough and I'm unable to work this Saturday. If you'd like me to work a Saturday in future, please could you give me a bit more notice?" should suffice.
    Oh and remember: they are your reference, so fucking them over will do you more harm than it does them - shop assistants are replacable at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kath2003

And oddly enough, you ARE expected to help customers and have a wide range of knowledge, that's what you're paid for.

If they really expected me, or anybody really to know the shit they sell and kiss ass and do more than the minimum job then they should pay more. You can't expect people to do the top job when you pay them the lowest.

And with the references, quite frankly, nobody ever needs to know I've worked there. I've had bout 11 jobs but I only ever put 3 for references or as previous employment, coincidently, the 3 jobs where I didn't do a shitty job.
  • Options
    I'll think you'll find they can pay you that - it's an unskilled job and they can find someone willing to do it for that money quite easily. Retail pays well once you're out of the sales assistant job, and so people are prepared to kiss ass at that wage until they can get somewhere higher.

And most employers ask for your last job as a reference and check them - I know my new job did and has checked up on my reference. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't do it, but there's no excuse for rudeness?
  • Options
    Re: A work rant
    Originally posted by my_name
    I just need to rant to somebody about my job. First off I hate it. ........Lets just say that today instead of going to work, I'm going to call up a friend and look for a new job.

First of all, it sounded like you really needed to get that lot off your chest....we're all entitled to rant about stuff every now and again! Second of all, it sounds like you've had it up to here with it all and that you realise this isn't what you want to do longterm. Sometimes it takes waking up one morning reaalllly peeved with your work/course/life etc to give you a kick start in making changes. Go out there, see what other jobs are on offer. If you cant see any that tickle you, pancake not - have a think about the kind of thing you WOULD like to do and sus out how to go about doing that (don't be afraid to raise your personal standards). Ask around (remember only 30% of jobs are advertised in newspapers). Talk to your mates about what they could see you doing. Maybe think about a course? If you dont want to go down that road, focus yourself on areas of life that you really love. (ie listening to people, IT/computers, working with kids/older people). Maybe its that you love retail but only if it's focused in a totally different area from what you're already working in?

Bottom line is there's heaps of rewarding stuff out there. If you feel you lack the skills, sus out voluntary opportunities that will help to build those. (and before you rule it out, volunteering dosn't have to be working behind a counter in a second hand shop. That's old news!)

Look on this as "the world is your oyster" time & good luck!
    Check this out: Boost your career
  • Options
    Work is what you make of it and the right attitude is hugely important

If you feel like you are not fitting in, go to *link removed again - spam* for some helpful advice.

Good luck