Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I turned from laptop to desktop

my laptop died on sunday, the poor thing will be missed sorely, was a scary problem on the board which was gonna cost loads to fix

so i went and built a new machine, luckily the hdd was fine on my laptop, so after buying an adaptor, i used it as a second hdd (admittedly slow) and transfereed as much as i could over to the new machine

i now run a desktop, nomore laptop for me

amd sempron 2400
512mb ram
geforce fx 5700 (256mb)
80gb hdd
shiny black case
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do yo umind if i ask how much it cost you ?

i've been interested in having a pc built for me, a friend was going to do it for me during summer but i couldnt afford it a the time, then i lost my job so forgot about that idea
    I built my PC 3 years ago, at the time it was top of the range. Now its a pile of shit i need RAM, ahhh bless xmas :D
    that long ago theres the chance you wont get the right ram, though only a chance

it cost me £430 and that includes a copy of xp
    Originally posted by MrG
    that long ago theres the chance you wont get the right ram, though only a chance

You can always get things like that. I can go out and buy some classic SIMM's for a 486 (i could buy one of those as well) without any problems.
    thats assuming you are over 18 and have a card able to buy things off the net with

cause in durham theres nowhere that i could get classic stuff from, i would have to both know where to get it from which not all people would, and then travel to get there
    What I don't understand is that everytime I buy RAM, I get off quite lightly. I brought a 512 stick in December 2001 for £55. One month later, the same stick sold at the same place for £85. My timing was just right! In December 2003, I then buy another stick of 512 and luckily I got away with £58. Of course next month, you're lucky to get away with £75. Last month, I brought 2x 512 for £115 which is again £58 for each 512. Why do RAM prices change so much, and why haven't it really gone down in price in the 3 years I've been buying it? Everything else goes down in price.
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Why do RAM prices change so much, and why haven't it really gone down in price in the 3 years I've been buying it? Everything else goes down in price.
    Supply and demand. If there is a shortage, and/or a surge in demand, it goes up, and vice versa.
    RAM prices have always been volitile.
    As for it not getting cheaper, it does get better specified (faster and more reliable) all the time, and the RAM per stick sizes are getting bigger.
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Supply and demand. If there is a shortage, and/or a surge in demand, it goes up, and vice versa.
    RAM prices have always been volitile.
    As for it not getting cheaper, it does get better specified (faster and more reliable) all the time, and the RAM per stick sizes are getting bigger.

and most ram used to be made in taiwan, so whenever an earthquake struck, prices went up :p
    Re: I turned from laptop to desktop
    Originally posted by MrG
    my laptop died on sunday, the poor thing will be missed sorely, was a scary problem on the board which was gonna cost loads to fix

so i went and built a new machine, luckily the hdd was fine on my laptop, so after buying an adaptor, i used it as a second hdd (admittedly slow) and transfereed as much as i could over to the new machine

what adaptor did you buy?

I've been looking for something to plug 2.5 inch HD into a desktop, have severallaptops without a CD ROM drive so pain to get an OS on there
    just one that was in the shop at the time i was there, fits into an external casing and works off usb 2