Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ex's: Getting back with them?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i started talking with an old girlfriend a while ago and kind of started liking her again. we dated for a year and a half and we've been broken up for 2 years. started when i found out she broke up with the most recent boyfriend she had. just felt an urge to talk to her which was odd because when she broke up with other boyfriends i didn't care. thought i could be friends with her, but now i am not so sure if that is all i feel for her. she is taking a break from dating at the moment, which gives me time to sort out what i feel for her. we are both different people now and i think if we tried again it might work.

has anyone ever gotten back with an ex they cared a lot about and had it work? or is it just a bad idea in the first place?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why did you break up in the first place?
    lots of different things. marriage and kids were a big reason. i wanted them eventually and she didn't. she was bored i think she said, wanted her space. i was a pretty big ass back then, telling her what to do all the time. i know i am not the guy i used to be and have changed quite a bit, mostly for the better i like to think.
    Originally posted by ReverandX
    lots of different things. marriage and kids were a big reason. i wanted them eventually and she didn't. she was bored i think she said, wanted her space. i was a pretty big ass back then, telling her what to do all the time. i know i am not the guy i used to be and have changed quite a bit, mostly for the better i like to think.
    so do you now not want a family, or has she decided she does?
    not really sure about the family thing. know she hasn't changed her mind about it, but i don't know if i want that anymore.
    Then maybe you can give it another shot.
    not really sure about the family thing. know she hasn't changed her mind about it, but i don't know if i want that anymore.
    Its quite a huuuuge thing to just give up on. I think its either something you know you dont want from the start. i dont think many people go from knowing they want a family eventually, to resigning themselves to never having one. Its one common cause of resentment in relationships. I was talking to my dad about it, and loads of his friends never did get round to having children, and now every single one of them wishes they did.
    Tread carefully.
    Re: Ex's: Getting back with them?
    has anyone ever gotten back with an ex they cared a lot about and had it work? or is it just a bad idea in the first place?

5 months back together now and I've never been happier with a guy before! We were together for a year and a half but broke up after the first term of uni. Then we got back together in the summer after a 6 month split, and have been having a great time since then. Having said that, we didn't split up over something as serious as marriage and children. Rainbow Brite is right - if things were to get serious between you two again, would you really be able to sacrifice the possibility of ever having a family of your own?
    i think i would be ok with it. won't know till it happens i guess.
    I dated someone for around 6 months back in school, we split up in the end decided we were living different kind of lives, i was still at school and wanted to be doing the things that 15/16 years olds do and our relationship involved alot of arranging around each others plans and also traveling to see each other, and he was at college so kinda felt we had different worlds. we started trying to give it ago again once he had left college and i was last year of school, but still was the same as before.

then just resently around april time this year we bumped into each other and decided we still wanted to give it all ago, as we did have alot of feelings for each other, but it didn't really happen once again.

although i think if you want to give things a try with your ex and really want to make a go of things you can, and things have changed from the past i.e the reasons why you broke up, then its worth a try, i know people who have given it a try the second time round and it has really worked out for them, even better then when they first were together.

i think if i left it a while longer then me and my ex could give it another try, its just the fact of growing up and realising exactly what you want.
    I was with someone for six months and then we split, we hardly saw each other at all and then now we are back together after a year and a half and it is the best thing to happen to me in my whole entire life! I couldnt be any happier if i tried!:D I hate to think what it would be like if we hadnt tried again because we are both so happy now and love each other loads!It's well better now because we've both matured alot andn we can talk to each other about anything at all! Go for it i say!!:D