Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flashbacks ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend isnt a regular pills taker and hasnt done any in over a year. When she did she used to wake up in the middle of the night sweating, panicking and shakey. So she stopped taking them.

Now over a year later this happened again

In her words...

"One of those turns - thing is i knew would happen was sitting in with Kelly and had a hot flush so i knew would happen - went on for 2 hours i nearly called a doctor!! major panic is not the word shivering sweating couldnt sleep! I was in bed aslepp and next minute wide awake and in a mess"

Any ideas?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    A flashback is seen by most as just the re-uccurance of a traumatic or dramatic memory, just like if you were hit by a bus.

The memory sears itself in your brain and for whatever reason sometimes it can jump forwards and you re-live it.

Its certainly nothing to do with the drug itself, it maybe because of neuro changes brought on by the drug, but none of the MDMA will be left in the body.

I would suggest that its a one off, she probably had a nightmare and this triggered off the memory coming forward and her re-living the experience. And of course once she started panicing then its self forfilling.
  • Options
    My friend isnt a regular pills taker and hasnt done any in over a year. When she did she used to wake up in the middle of the night sweating, panicking and shakey. So she stopped taking them.

Now over a year later this happened again

In her words...

"One of those turns - thing is i knew would happen was sitting in with Kelly and had a hot flush so i knew would happen - went on for 2 hours i nearly called a doctor!! major panic is not the word shivering sweating couldnt sleep! I was in bed aslepp and next minute wide awake and in a mess"

Any ideas?

:yes:

i agree with bong; i stopped doing pills 2 years ago, and the funny thing is whenever i walk past someone with a particular brand of deoderant that i was wearing at the time, it just brings back the memories of being intoxicated (but not the actualy effect unfortunately :p).

Familiar or relevant sensual stimuli can bring back significant experiences that the brain remembers. MDMA is a profound cognitive and neurological experience, so this doesnt surprise me.

I wouldnt worry about this event in isolation, just keep an eye and see if it happens again

:)
  • Options
    i doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with drugs.
  • Options
    doubt its drug related... there are many sleeping disorders.

also, i have been beaning for quite a while now and have never gotten a flashack, although i must say, i have never had bad experiences on beans, maybe just puked once but thats it...