Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

100 hours Community Service for starving a dog to death

Story.

The RSPCA officer says it "was the worst case of abuse in 20 years service", and yet this woman is given 100 hours community service for starving that poor creature to death.

It sure puts that six month sentence for using a camera phone in court into perspective. Take a picture of nothing and you get the book thrown at you, but torture a poor defenceless creature for nearly a month and you get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.

This country's judicial system is fucked up, it really is.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Needs a beating.

What a bitch.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    put her into a prison cell and starve her to death :thumb:

Or feed her to starving dogs.
  • Options
    Re: 100 hours Community Service for starving a dog to death
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Story.

This country's judicial system is fucked up, it really is.

Cruelty to animals is one of the lowest crimes you can commit. Disgusting.
  • Options
    Re: Re: 100 hours Community Service for starving a dog to death
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Cruelty to animals is one of the lowest crimes you can commit. Disgusting.

If you can do that to an animal you can do it to a person.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: 100 hours Community Service for starving a dog to death
    If you can do that to an animal you can do it to a person.

Excellent ....... unless of course you're a drug company perhaps?
    A bit unfair on the pharm companies, I feel.

PETA don't represent me, they don't represent the "people". They are terrorist vermin: if they feel that testing new and dangerous drugs on animals is so bad, test them on PETA terrorists instead.

The pharm companies are right. PETA terrorists need to be getting twenty years in jail, and not any old jail either, that horrible random converted ship near Poole.

Then you torture them anyway you fancy, and anyone who stands up for the animals is "terrorist vermin", right?

:crazyeyes

and btw, if you can do that to a person .......
  • Options
    I can only deduce from that that you are on smack.

As I have said several times, and indeed in the thread where you lifted that from, testing on animals for cosmetic reasons is wrong, deeply wrong. But if it takes the death of a thousand rats and monkeys to develop a drug that will save human life then, sorry, but the rats and monkeys are a fair swap.

PETA, of course, don't agree, and seem to think that animal life is actually MORE valuable than human life. Which it is not.
  • Options
    As I have said several times, and indeed in the thread where you lifted that from, testing on animals for cosmetic reasons is wrong, deeply wrong. But if it takes the death of a thousand rats and monkeys to develop a drug that will save human life then, sorry, but the rats and monkeys are a fair swap.

I agree. To test make-up or shampoo on animals is unnecessary and in my opinion pretty sick. But if testing on animals for genuine medical reasons is perfectly justifiable…And I'm pretty sure most normal people would agree with you so it's a shame that they still do test on animals pointlessly for cosmetics and stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    I agree. To test make-up or shampoo on animals is unnecessary and in my opinion pretty sick. But if testing on animals for genuine medical reasons is perfectly justifiable…And I'm pretty sure most normal people would agree with you so it's a shame that they still do test on animals pointlessly for cosmetics and stuff.

That's exactly it.

I don't buy comsetics that have been tested on animals. I refuse to allow anyone I know to buy IAMS pet food, because of what they did to the animals when it was being developed.

But if a new cancer-busting drug can only be developed by testing on animals then I believe it is sad, but that it is a fair swap.

As for PETA: People Eat Tasty Animals:)
  • Options
    I can only deduce from that that you are on smack.

PETA, of course, don't agree, and seem to think that animal life is actually MORE valuable than human life. Which it is not.

I'm not sure that you're representing PETAs' position entirely accurately. :rolleyes:
    “If you were in a fire and could save either your child or your dog, who would you choose?”

I would save my child, but that’s just instinct. A dog would save her pup. Regardless, my choice proves nothing about the moral legitimacy of animal experiments. I might save my own child instead of my neighbor’s, but that hardly proves that experimentation on my neighbor’s child is acceptable.

And the efficacy of animal experimentation is dubious to say the least.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    I'm not sure that you're representing PETAs' position entirely accurately. :rolleyes:

So they aren't going around sending letter bombs to people, trying to kill them?

My mistake :rolleyes:

According to whom?
  • Options
    So they aren't going around sending letter bombs to people, trying to kill them?

My mistake :rolleyes:

And how many humans exactly have they killed?

:confused:

According to whom?

Pandora Pound, research fellow1, Shah Ebrahim, professor1, Peter Sandercock, professor2, Michael B Bracken, professor3, Ian Roberts, professor4 Reviewing Animal Trials Systematically (RATS) Group

82% of 500 GPs

Professor Pietro Croce, MD

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)

Harris L. Coulter, Ph.D.

N Y Times

Dr Robert Sharpe

amongst many others.......
  • Options
    And now find a reputable source...
  • Options

Did he actually quote the NY times?
  • Options
    Nope, something called pnc.com.au.

A dubious website, with no credits. Based in Australia.

Is that the best you can do, freethetrolls?
  • Options
    freethepeeps cites the BMJ as his first source, which is peer-reviewed and respectable enough. So it's not the fact that the sources aren't reputable, just that they are simply biased and he obviously hasn't taken the time to read them thoroughly enough.

The first one, for example, is a paper talking mainly about the poor methodology used in animal experimentation. That's all very well, but this is not of itself a reason to stop animal testing, as is pointed out in two letters written in response to the very same article.

And regardless of the evidence, none of it would justify violent protest against people who work in the field.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    freethepeeps cites the BMJ as his first source, which is peer-reviewed and respectable enough. So it's not the fact that the sources aren't reputable, just that they are simply biased and he obviously hasn't taken the time to read them thoroughly enough.

Read the original statement

Geddit????

And regardless of the evidence, none of it would justify violent protest against people who work in the field.

And what in your opinion would justify violent protest?

• Options
    Read the original statement
    Geddit????
    No, not really. The evidence is inconclusive - that doesn't mean animal tests aren't valuable, just that there is not enough evidence to support certain practices. I don't see how you can use that as an argument against animal testing.

And what in your opinion would justify violent protest?

Maybe violent is the wrong word. Non-peaceful is what I meant.
  • Options
    No, not really. The evidence is inconclusive - that doesn't mean animal tests aren't valuable, just that there is not enough evidence to support certain practices. I don't see how you can use that as an argument against animal testing.

The efficacy of animal testing is dubious and contested. There is a growing trend towards non-animal alternatives. That has pretty much happened in terms of cosmetics.

Tell you what, why don't you give an example of a medicine that has come onto the market and been succesful, as a result of animal testing........

:)

Maybe violent is the wrong word. Non-peaceful is what I meant.

Okay, so what issue in your opinion would justify non-peaceful protest?
  • Options
    The efficacy of animal testing is dubious and contested. There is a growing trend towards non-animal alternatives. That has pretty much happened in terms of cosmetics.

Tell you what, why don't you give an example of a medicine that has come onto the market and been succesful, as a result of animal testing........

:)
    Celecoxib. Pointless really since animal testing is a legal requirement. Your fury would be better directed at the government rather than the pharmaceutical industry itself.
    Okay, so what issue in your opinion would justify non-peaceful protest?
    I can't think of one.
  • Options
    Last night I ate a pizza covered in meat cut from the corpses of no doubt) factory farmed pigs and cows who were bred specifically for the purpose, fattened on dubious waste products and pumped full of chemicals.

That sounds cruel to me.

I do not feel guilty, no-one has chastised me and I will receive no kind of legal punishment........

• Options
    Celecoxib. Pointless really since animal testing is a legal requirement. Your fury would be better directed at the government rather than the pharmaceutical industry itself.

Celecoxib - plenty of nasty side effects on offer...... which is the point - animal testing is not creating safe drugs, nor does it highlight all the possible side effects.

What fury is that? The thing I'm pointing out is that people are quite happy to wax lyrical about someone starving a dog on the one hand, whilst sanctioning torture of animals on the other.

My own personal viewpoint on the issue is that until we learn to treat all people better, animals will continue to suffer.

I'm not an animal rights protestor.
    I can't think of one.

So, your comment was generic rather than specific.

It could well be said that the Animal rights lobby have gained more through protest than any other group.

Petitions, letters to MPs, A-B marches, placard waving and slogan chanting are not nearly as efficacious......

Which may well be why the liberals love them so much - cos that way people can expend their anger and the world stays the same.

Or perhaps you really believe that the government responds to protest?

• Options
    *gone*