Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Absinthe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure where else to put this thread but I've aquired some absinthe recently and not sure how to go about using it.

Ive heard theres some magical thing involving heated sugar that you should do? Being me I was just gonna down it really. Any advice on how to adequetly consume this fine bottle of 19dickity2 bottle of fairy liquid?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    first of all; the sugar and water thing is purely for taste purposes.

If you've heard that Absinthe is hallucenogenic, chances are the bottle you have got isn't, as the psychoactive component used in traditional absinthe making is banned in the EU (im pretty sure :confused:)

Lookhere for more info on the real deal.

More than likely you've procured yourself some particularly strong aniseed-tasting spirit.

The 'Sugar and Water' thing goes thus.

*Take a small tumbler type glass and half fill it with water (chilled mineral water is best).

*Take a tablespoon with a heap of sugar on it, hold over the glass and pour some absinthe over the sugar so it saturates the sugar (and doesnt go on your carpet ;) )

*Light the table spoon with a lighter and allow the sugar melt a bit, when its melted quite a bit just drop the solution into the glass and stir.

*Enjoy :D
    Well a mate of mine went to prague and bought some back in listerine bottles :lol: He tried it and said he kept hallucinating and that so I assume its the real deal. Cheers on the 'idiots guide to absinthe' i will enjoy!
    :chin:

could well be then. Go careful with it though, its a hallucenogenic and a strong spirit and could be quite a potent experience.:)
    Im new to the drug malarky and only ever did weed occasionally but didnt like it cos my clothes reeked, alcohol has been my main passion and ive gotten quite aqainted with a mr jack daniels in the past few years.

Will absinthe be a cool thing to try or are the risks quite high?
    ok, if you are going to try any psychoactive substance it is usually preferrable; particularly with regard to hallcenogenics, to have someone you trust implicitly (a long standing freind, brother, cousin) to be with you when you imbibe this stuff.

Also it is very advisable to be in a place in which you feel comfortable and relaxed.

I would advise that you have someone with you also who is not tripping (known as a sitter) definately for the first time.

In terms of risk, the thing to remember is that the greatest immediate risk to yourself with this type of substance will be you being in an altered state (Which can lead to accidents, blah blah blah). Thats why its good idea to have a sitter.

As a strong spirit absinthe also obviously holds all the relevant dangers of strong alcohol and its effects, which may be compounded by the psychoactive properites of the wormwood.

In terms of long term risk i dont think it would be particularly high, although if you have a history of mental health concerns in yourself or immediate family, it would be worth approaching ANY psychoactive with extreme caution (that includes weed).

Look at the vaults of erowid, be mindful of other's experiences BUT dont take them as gospel; everyone as individuals will be subject to differing effects.

Just take the first time slowly and wait for the effects to come and go before you try it again on your first go. If you do increase the dose do it very steadily and pace yourself.

Finally try to do it when you have as little external pressure to cope with as possible, for example do it after you hand in that essay (say), than before so you dont worry.

Good luck :), let us know how it goes
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    TheSite has some information on Wormwood too...
    TheSite has some information on Wormwood too...

errr...oops :D
    Go and get yourself a shot glass and take a couple of shots.

Come back and tell us how drunk you got.
    I have this tiny lil bottle of it, I think its like one shot or something maybe two.
    Oh and its green. I know its only little but its like a year and a half old. Is it still safe to drink?? Its the real deal cos my sister got it for me and she was seeing things when she drank her's.

I'm not normaly a big drinker so is this drink likely to get me tipsy considering I only have a small amount of it?
    Originally posted by Zella

I'm not normaly a big drinker so is this drink likely to get me tipsy considering I only have a small amount of it?

well i drank 3 or 4 biggish mouthfuls of it and i was legless.

how long is a piece of string :confused::)

absinthe can be found in many different strengths, for example in many supermarkets Lafee Absinthe is available, which is (i think 60%)

Most absinthe is stronger than the average bear so if you have a low tolerance you'll probably notice it tbh.

Try the sugar and water thing though, especially if you like aniseed tastes :D, burns some of the alcohol off but prob will only bring it down to the level of (say) 40% JDs the way most people do it, although i have no scientific basis for that:D
    alot of people here arent too aware on the facts of absinthe, ill give you a little run down.

The hallucinagenic in absinthe, wormwood, is not illegal, but it is illegal to sell a drink with more than a certain amount of it in it.

The ONLY and i mean ONLY brand with the legal amount in it is Sebor Absinthe, everyother type has a maximum of a third of the legal amount, usually the alcohol is higher the less wormwood there is in it. Sebor has 55% most of the ones with hardly any in it are between 70 and 90 %

Drinking old absinthe is fine, it matures with age
    Originally posted by Zella
    I have this tiny lil bottle of it, I think its like one shot or something maybe two.
    Oh and its green. I know its only little but its like a year and a half old. Is it still safe to drink?? Its the real deal cos my sister got it for me and she was seeing things when she drank her's.

zella you must call me, i shall give you a run down on the effects of drinking it if you arent a big drinker
    Am I right in thinking that wormwood isnt actually a hallucinogen, its a toxin with hallucinogenic properties isnt it?

You can make a sort of hash out of it too.

I had absinth a while back in a very nice cocktail with ginger beer, lovely that was.
    brilliant! i have a trip to prague coming up soon. sebor it is.