Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People with Passion

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by turlough
    any hard evidence to back this up or is this just a theory, either way i'd be glad to hear it.
    people who own clubs or invest money in clubs who are always in touch with the music industry ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    people who own clubs or invest money in clubs who are always in touch with the music industry ...

what about the underground, there'll always be an underground, hip hop hasn't really hit the scene over here anyway, dance is still very much at the fore front, but i have also noticed a slight rock revolution, too bad they're listening to shit like slipknot
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    what about the underground, there'll always be an underground, hip hop hasn't really hit the scene over here anyway, dance is still very much at the fore front, but i have also noticed a slight rock revolution, too bad they're listening to shit like slipknot
    every kind of music always has its adherants and its venues ...forever.
    but it does tend to get a wee bit smaller ...and smaller ... as it fades away to make room for the next big thing.
  • Options
    for the next big thing.

which will be.....
  • Options
    some of the pointers ...more and more musical instruments being purchased by individuals ...booming in fact over the last two years ...sales of loops and samples and sample/midi etc software falling off.
    recording studios working full capacity again with ...musicians!
    colledge courses for computer music not going ahead cos they can no longer get enough bums on seats.
    ticket sales booming for live acts ...
    club owners and investors being advised to invest differently ...cos things are changing again as they always do ...dance music sales going down ...
  • Options
    i'm not sure but it seems that jack of the white stripes has had a massive influence on investors thinking.
    i think i only ever heard one tune by the white stripes so what this guy has said and done to influence investment i know not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Justin Sane
    :lol::lol::lol:

The only rock-type song I'm playing in my sets/radio show is the BK bootleg of Nivana, 'Smells Like Keen Spirit' :p
    and radio airplay going down fast ...
  • Options
    Well I don't think I have too much to worry about in the near future, the events I'm running are doing well, I've got more work DJing now than ever and next year I'm already getting international work.

DJs are slowly producing more and more of their own material and instead of just playing records they are now moving into LIVE ACT territory, with keyboards/samplers using Ableton 4 Live and what not for a completely original set produced there and then.

Electronic music is eclipsing live music, take any top 40 hit these days, most of it is produced electronically in the studio with programs like Cubase SX3, Sonar 4 or Logic 7 are a huge influence, with the technology coming such leaps and bounds more and more people are producing their own tracks at home, internet sales of MP3s are set to hit $6 Billion by 2012, maybe vinyl is down somewhat but other mediums are taking over!

You've got to remember as well that the UK isn't the centre of the universe, whilst dance music in general may be fading away over there atm (and you've had it in force since '88) it doesn't mean its happening elsewhere, australasia and america are in a dance music boom with sales/events/djs/international acts being bigger than ever before and a predicted sales soar into the future!

I think international scenes in general with fizzle out of importing international acts and boom with their own local talent, especially as more and more local scene DJs move into production causing their own hive scene to emerge with customised tracks - no longer having to rely on label music being produced in the UK.
  • Options
    Yeah, but in America they are doing their best to crush any dance music events through law meaning promoters are legally responsible for all patrons drug use.

I'm passionate about harm reduction and drug law reform.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    so will 1960's pop music but it will never be big again will it.
    the blues will go on forever as will rock but ...by the end of next summer ...it won't be dj's filling the clubs ...finnished ...over ...kaput i tell ya.

I think the dance music boom has already declined. Superclubs are finished, and the amount of cheesy dance music in the charts has fallen - it's back to the underground which is a bloody good thing IMO. Less comercial crap.
    I go to a lot of 'hardcore' events and if anything the turnout for these raves has got bigger in the last few years.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well there are three or more big new promoters in the Hardcore music scene.

'Dance' music is such a broad term that I dont think its going anywhere for a while, even rock is now heavily influenced by it.