Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fund-Raising ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, im planning on spending 2 months in South africa for my work experience. Ive got about a year and a half to save up £3500 for it+im wondering does anybody have any amazing ideas for fund raising??
So far ive thought od:
*a sponsored baked-bean bath
*cleaning a double decker bus with a tooth brush
Basically im looking for a wild, wacky+unusual idea, that could make me some cash!!!
Thanx
SBG

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BritJames
    a bank loan would cover it :p

well, i dont wana get a bank loan. my student loan will probably cover alot of it, seeing as its a year and a half away+il use my loan minimally, but i thought of fund raising instead of putting all of the difference myself.
    Im going with a mate, so we're gonna help each other, so she may have some ideas yet+the company do send you info on fund-raising ideas, i just wanted a unique idea!
    thanx anyway....anyone else??
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    i thought of fund raising instead of putting all of the difference myself.

ah yes, getting other people to pay so you don't have to ;)
    £3,500 to stay for 8 weeks in Africa? Where will you be staying in the Hilton Hotel?
    Why not throw a dance party? With all proceeds going to you for your trip? :)

I throw charity gigs once every six months for AngelCare (http://www.angelcare.org.nz), last time I raised them $2000 which paid for 17 auckland angels to go through their first aid training.

angelbanner.gif

I'm throwing another one on the 11th December, I get the club for free as well as get the DJs for nothing and charge $10 on the door, I'm expecting to raise about $4000 this time around, not bad for a nights work!
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    £3,500 to stay for 8 weeks in Africa? Where will you be staying in the Hilton Hotel?

its so expensive bcos you work with private companies, and do alot of wild work. The costs cover all your food, accomodation, flights, transfers, holiday insurance and 24 hour protection (i.e. against lions)
    Justin - that sounds great!!! I know a guy who DJ's at a club nr me, so i spose i could spk to him about it!!
    SBG
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    its so expensive bcos you work with private companies, and do alot of wild work. The costs cover all your food, accomodation, flights, transfers, holiday insurance and 24 hour protection (i.e. against lions)
    Justin - that sounds great!!! I know a guy who DJ's at a club nr me, so i spose i could spk to him about it!!
    SBG

Yeah those private companies take a huge cut.

If you were to book everything yourself it would cost a fraction of £3,500 - London is full of South Africans working here for a year or two cos when they take the money home it's worth about 10 times what it is here. I used to work with a girl who came to the Uk to work, save and pay off all her South African Student Debt in a single year then over many years as she'd need to do back home.