Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Britain knew about coup plot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,1361299,00.html

The plot thickens...

Heads to roll...yeh right!

Comments

• Options
    i'm sure the government knows about alot of these secret things right now today that we will never know about, theres a deep murky world in the intelligence service.
  • Options
    Indeed. While they were making plans to evacuate the Brits, you'd have thought they'd get round to telling the authorities there.

Too busy that day I guess.
  • Options
    The "mercenaries" were right to try and overthrow that twat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The "mercenaries" were right to try and overthrow that twat.
    even though they were doing it to steal the countries wealth for them selves?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

At least they aren't cannibals.
  • Options
    At least they aren't cannibals.
    Author Mike Phillips
    "It's a stupid insult. Even the prejudices and their expressions have moved on from that. The racists nowadays are more subtle and clever than that.

That was as sad as Lukesh's accusation at you.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

The leaders in EG are amoung some of the nastiest and most brutal in all of Africa.

If this badly planned and badly thought out plot had been successful they would have had to try really hard to be as nasty as the current batch.

Yes, they would have stolen quite a lot of oil revenue, but its not like its going to 'the people' now, its all being stolen.

Nothing much really would have changed there, except probably less human rights abuse.

In a wierd way its a shame they got caught.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The leaders in EG are amoung some of the nastiest and most brutal in all of Africa.

If this badly planned and badly thought out plot had been successful they would have had to try really hard to be as nasty as the current batch.

Yes, they would have stolen quite a lot of oil revenue, but its not like its going to 'the people' now, its all being stolen.

Nothing much really would have changed there, except probably less human rights abuse.

In a wierd way its a shame they got caught.

Any chance of a source for your claims - "nastiest and most brutal in Africa", or are we expected to take it in good faith.

Are they for example as "nasty and brutal" as the US and UK, who have killed many civilians, and used napalm, and bombed hospitals and wedding parties, and kept people in indefinite detention without trial etc etc etc?
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3597450.stm

The above story includes the line;

"Equatorial Guinea, a former Spanish colony, has been ruled by President Obiang since he seized power from his uncle in a coup in 1979. His government has been accused of widespread human rights abuses and of ruthlessly suppressing political opposition."
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3597450.stm

The above story includes the line;

"Equatorial Guinea, a former Spanish colony, has been ruled by President Obiang since he seized power from his uncle in a coup in 1979. His government has been accused of widespread human rights abuses and of ruthlessly suppressing political opposition."

That doesn't back up your claim, or answer my question.

:(
  • Options
    http://news.amnesty.org/index/ENGAFR240092004

http://www.forestsmonitor.org/reports/solddownriver/guinea.htm

"Reports of human rights abuses abound."

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=8009

"Earlier this year the State Department put Equatorial Guinea on notice of sanctions after it was named in an official report as one of the world’s worst offenders for human trafficking."

http://web.amnesty.org/web/ar2002.nsf/afr/equatorial%20guinea!Open

Hopefully thats enough evidence.

As to comparitive harm with the US or UK, well he hasnt started any wars recently, but thats not really the point. There wasnt an attempted over throw in the US.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that Obiang is an unpleasant man who will do anything to cling onto power.

However, all these reports talk of relatively small numbers of people - compared to hundreds of thousands suffering in places like Sudan, Somalia, DRC, Rwanda, Zimbabwe - I don't see how he ranks as "one of the worst"

Neither do I see how anyone could think a coup by greedy white mercenaries is the answer.

Is there a racist undertone here I wonder?

I note that in one of the reports the US Navy is now going to show some muscle in the Gulf of Guinea, following the failed coup. I suggest that the shock and horror at the human rights abuses are a smoke screen because they're worried about the flow of oil being interrupted ..........

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yes, he is one of the worst leaders, Sudan isnt really to do with a leadership issue as such, Somalia has no leadership at all, large sections of the DRC are fighting each other....

He is probably better than Magabe, but thats not really saying all that much is it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Neither do I see how anyone could think a coup by greedy white mercenaries is the answer.

Is there a racist undertone here I wonder?

So greedy black mercenaries would have been ok? You need to check your own racist undertone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    So greedy black mercenaries would have been ok? You need to check your own racist undertone.

I never said a word about black mercenaries.

backatcha

• Options
    I never said a word about black mercenaries.

backatcha

You specified the colour of the mercenaries. As if it made a difference. Are you actually stupid? Or do you just pretend?
  • Options
    You specified the colour of the mercenaries. As if it made a difference. Are you actually stupid? Or do you just pretend?

Have you read the thread?

Do you comprehend it?

There is a little racist sub-text going on here - Kermit with his declaration that they are cannibals - smackallah with his assertion that there would "probably (be) less human rights abuse" from apartheid era white South African mercenaries.

Now, whether you like it, or not ..... whites do not have a right to control the natural resources of Africa - and this group of mercenaries was indeed white, including South Africans and the son of a former UK prime minister.

I'll tell you this for nowt - had the UK govt learnt in January that there was to be a coup by greedy black mercenaries in March, they would have informed Obiang........

You who have the goddamn gall to categorically state that black men have lower IQs than you, are the one who has much to learn about racism and stupidity.

:yes:
  • Options
    You who have the goddamn gall to categorically state that black men have lower IQs than you, are the one who has much to learn about racism and stupidity.

And she said that where?

And why cant white people own things in Africa? Some whites have been there quite a while you know.
  • Options
    And she said that where?

here
    And why cant white people own things in Africa? Some whites have been there quite a while you know.

The days when white men can take African land and resources by military force are gone........

:yes:
  • Options
    Is it too much to hope that the forthcoming trial and gloomy prospects for Mark Thatcher might prove too much for mummy? ;)
  • Options
    here

:rolleyes: You idiot. It is simply statistical fact, that black males do less academically well, it's a FACT. Not that they are less able.

I'm glad you totally avoided the question.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: You idiot. It is simply statistical fact, that black males do less academically well, it's a FACT. Not that they are less able.

I'm glad you totally avoided the question.

Is it a FACT or a STATISTIC ?

What question was that - if it was about black mercenaries then the answer is no, it would not be okay .....

If it was about noting that the mercenaries were in fact white, are you disputing that they were?

:confused:
  • Options
    If it was about noting that the mercenaries were in fact white, are you disputing that they were?

:confused:

I made myself very clear. You highlighted, as in drew attention to, the colour of the mercenaries as if it Made A Difference.
  • Options
    I made myself very clear. You highlighted, as in drew attention to, the colour of the mercenaries as if it Made A Difference.

And that would be because it DOES make a difference - however much you wish to decontextualise it......

:)
  • Options
    And that would be because it DOES make a difference - however much you wish to decontextualise it......

It doesn't make a difference to me, I'm not racist, unlike some posters.
  • Options

Its nice to pretend that race isn't an issue ...... so just carry on decontextualising what I wrote if it makes you happy.

I'm not deluded like some posters.
  • Options
    What a laugh you are though :)
  • Options
    Calling me a racist is libel, petal.

Retract it.
  • Options
    Calling me a racist is libel, petal.

Retract it.

So sue me - and you can prove to the judge that the government of Equatorial Guinea are cannibals.

I'm sure Blink would testify on my behalf.....

;)