Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Like I am always waiting for the future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*gone*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mmmm I know the feeling. My situation's not so bad because although we're apart in term time, we have weekend visits to look forward to and then when we go home for the holidays we're only about 10 miles apart so can see each other every day if we want to.

I started getting this feeling a while back, though, where I suddenly thought hold on, it's tough being apart at uni but if we do make it all the way through uni then what then? We'll get jobs, we might still have to be apart for ages, we'll both be really busy with our own lives... exactly when does it get better?

It doesn't sound like helpful advice at all, but I've got to tell you it won't necessarily get easier. It may get easier in some aspects, but then other aspects of it will get harder. You'll go to uni and then you'll have a whole new experience to adjust to. That sounds very pessimistic, but what I'm trying to say is, you can't waste what you have now by looking to the future, because when you get to the future it may not be so perfect after all.

You're in a stable relationship, which has been going on since you were 14 so is obviously very strong. You should be congratulating yourself, not getting upset about it! You CAN be happy with what you have - the time apart makes those moments you do get together seem even more special, doesn't it? Uni terms aren't that long - what happens in the holidays? Do you get to see him lots then? If you are happy in this relationship then stay positive about it and enjoy what you have.

And finally, you're only 16 now and uni is a long time away, so although it's perfectly likely that you'll still be together then, you shouldn't place all your hopes on the future and waste your last few years of being a teenager!
    *gone*
    But the fact that you're not together all the time probably strengthens your relationship and makes you have a fantastic time when you do get to see each other. If you saw each other all the time you'd quite likely stop appreciating it.