Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

teen girls binge drink more than teen boys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4044641.stm

possibly cause clubs and pubs let them in :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    It's not hard for underage girls to get into pubs and clubs. It is the choice of the bouncer, and if the bouncer likes the look of the girls then it's a pretty safe bet that they're in.

Why is it so shocking that girls binge drink more than boys?
  • Options
    Its probably because of the much lower limits for females too, a couple of glasses of wine can be classed as a binge even for an adult female.
  • Options
    Good point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Its probably because of the much lower limits for females too, a couple of glasses of wine can be classed as a binge even for an adult female.
    Exactly.

And beware of surveys of teenagers anyway.
  • Options
    if its not the bragging to a reporter in front of their mates, its them getting interviewed when they are still on the binge, so drunk and bragging in front of their mates
  • Options
    for those who say dont trust surveys on teens, what about the boys, srely their macho-ness which some of you blame for everything would outdo the girls
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    for those who say dont trust surveys on teens, what about the boys, srely their macho-ness which some of you blame for everything would outdo the girls
    Why would it necessarily?

And say it's true - do you think it matters? We already know teenage girls are more likely to smoke than teenage boys, so we know that girls partake in risky behaviour that harm their health.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Same old and totally stupid cliche. They want to act "mature", but what they think is mature is the total opposite and that's what they do. What else is new?
  • Options
    I think what bongbudda said is the most relevant: girls don't need to drink that much to be "bingeing" whereas boys need to drink more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    i am not surprised... its just like smoking..... girls think it is cool to show off to the lads but it puts us off.

I think your personality in general is enough to put anyone off.

Only kidding.... :chin:

There are many young lads who would find a binge drinking female their own age attractive. Just because you are not of this mentality doesn't mean it isn't so. Similarly just because you do not have any experience of young ladies with an ounce of class doesn't mean they don't exist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I think what bongbudda said is the most relevant: girls don't need to drink that much to be "bingeing" whereas boys need to drink more.

Any idea what a binge is for a teenage girl? Its only about 4 units in one go for an adult female.
  • Options
    Any idea what a binge is for a teenage girl? Its only about 4 units in one go for an adult female.

4 Units counts as binging for a girl? Thats 3 alcopops or something :eek2:

How much is it for guys?
  • Options
    The general recomended daily intakes are not more than 3-4 for men and 2-3 for women.

I can only assume more than this in one go is a binge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/nutrition/drinks_alcohol.shtml
  • Options
    The general recomended daily intakes are not more than 3-4 for men and 2-3 for women.

I can only assume more than this in one go is a binge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/nutrition/drinks_alcohol.shtml

Thats rediculous, practically everyone will drink more than that when they go out to a bar or a club.
  • Options
    Thats why we have such a problem.

I think actually the government has upped those limits somewhat and revised what a binge means, rather than it just being you're weekly amount cut into 7.
  • Options
    Thats why we have such a problem.

I think actually the government has upped those limits somewhat and revised what a binge means, rather than it just being you're weekly amount cut into 7.

"Binge" drinking once or twice a week surely isn't going to be that bad through right?

I mean if someone (i.e. me) only goes out once or twice a week...
  • Options
    Depends how much you drink. Necking back your weekly limit in two sessions isnt going to be stunning for you no.
  • Options
    yes, isn't it better that you drink a small amount regularily than a large amount in one go? and surely once or twice a week is not the "regular" they're talking about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    yes, isn't it better that you drink a small amount regularily than a large amount in one go?

Exactly, alcohol is a poison and its really not very nice for the body, it has to be broken down and its by-products arent all that nice either. The liver needs time to break it down, so the more units you drink in one go the harder it has to work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    i am not surprised... its just like smoking..... girls think it is cool to show off to the lads but it puts us off.

Speak for yourself. It's a right of passage.