Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

died

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
just found out someone died at my university 2 weeks ago :(

was found in their bathroom dead :eek:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Happens a lot.

My college at Durham Uni had three go in the last academic year:(
    There's an area of Edinburgh uni flats which is meant to be notorious for suicides, at least one a year or something like that. I don't know how true it is though. Saying that, I've walked past and it's grim as fuck.
    didn't commit suidice though apparently... it turns out he took a shower while drunk, fell over and hit his head :(
    A fresher at my uni died, she had diabetes and was found collapsed in her room.
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    There's an area of Edinburgh uni flats which is meant to be notorious for suicides, at least one a year or something like that. I don't know how true it is though. Saying that, I've walked past and it's grim as fuck.

Which ones that? I've never heard anything.
    There are some trees planted on our campus to commemorate students from my department who died on their years abroad! Am slightly worried....as mine starts next september!
    Bloody hell! How come so many people die at uni's?
    fair few can't cope with the pressure/stress of studies/money worries.

lots of them away from home first time and can't look after themselves, drinking lots/doing drugs for first time.

not necessarily any one close to notice if thinsg are going wrong, etc.
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    Which ones that? I've never heard anything.

I can't remember the name, but I walked past it, near the Meadows. A friend in 3rd year told me about it.
    I think Edinburg has one of the highest sucicide rates amoung students of any uni in the country. The pressure on the medical courses and the access to certain chemicals make students more susceptable.

I think the dark in the winter doesnt really help either.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I think Edinburg has one of the highest sucicide rates amoung students of any uni in the country. The pressure on the medical courses and the access to certain chemicals make students more susceptable.

Ooh-er. :eek:

I'd quite like to know where these flats near the Meadows are... it's not Sciennes is it?
    Uni's are very reluctant about giving the figures out though.

I know Canterbury has a high rate too, though they go out of their way to suppress the details.
    but in durham, 3 out of 15,000 thousand isnt much
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Ooh-er. :eek:

I'd quite like to know where these flats near the Meadows are... it's not Sciennes is it?

Ummm... I talked to my friend in the know earlier tonight and it was indeed Sciennes! Is it really as bad as it sounds?
    Ummm... I talked to my friend in the know earlier tonight and it was indeed Sciennes! Is it really as bad as it sounds?

I had a mate who lived there last year and it never seemed that bad. I live in marchmont the now aswell and tbh I'd have though it'd be considered quite a nice area. :confused:
    I heard that at one uni the windows on the top floors of halls of residences don't open fully because so many people have jumped. Not sure which one. A guy on my course died last year. I think it was SADs. Its horrible, but that is life.
    In terms of the windows it quite probably would have just been a routine risk assessment which they should be carrying out because they have a duty of care over students.

If one jumped out and then they didnt secure them afterwards they would be heavily in the shite the next time.
    our windows only open about 3 inches or so. makes sense really, if you have someone suicidal on the 10th floor, the easiest way to kill yourself would be the window.
    I had a mate who lived there last year and it never seemed that bad. I live in marchmont the now aswell and tbh I'd have though it'd be considered quite a nice area. :confused:

Oh no I agree, I think Marchmont's a great area, but it just seems to be Sciennes in particular and not the area. I really don't know much about it though, just what this guy told me and he's not one to exaggerate such things, but I dunno.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

The halls in sciennes is in quite a good area though so I don't understand that.

The flats are average (like most of the other edinburgh uni residences)

I wouldn't worry about living in sciennes tbh. I think it sounds a bit like a coincidence. A high number of edinburgh uni students live near Sciennes and Marchmont so they would always be high in the suicide figures. As well as alot of vet students live in Sciennes in first year aswell.

lisa simpson's saxaphone - if you live in sciennes i wouldnt worry, honestly :)
    Yeh, sorry wasn't meaning to scare anyone with hearsay and gossip! Sciennes is quite possibly better than the set up I've got.
    Yeh, sorry wasn't meaning to scare anyone with hearsay and gossip! Sciennes is quite possibly better than the set up I've got.

nah, I know, don't worry :p

Wouldn't be so sure. There's a sick children's hospital near in sciennes. Spooky.

Oh and offtopic there was some crazy bank robbery on the bank on northbridge last friday. I was in old college then wandered down and there were gun shots all over the door.
    Wouldn't be so sure. There's a sick children's hospital near in sciennes. Spooky.

So?
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    So?

What?
    Originally posted by MrG
    but in durham, 3 out of 15,000 thousand isnt much

I said from college, not from the whole uni.

Aidan's has about 300 people.
    What?

Why is it spooky that there is a Sick Kids Hospital near by? I don't see why that makes a different tbh *shrugs*
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    Why is it spooky that there is a Sick Kids Hospital near by? I don't see why that makes a different tbh *shrugs*

I dunno. I think hospitals are spooky. Especially the ones in old buildings like the sick children's hospital in sciennes.