Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rent on private accommodation.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Landlord is known to rip students off. Refuses to fix the flat i'm renting, generally does fuck all.

Got about another 6 months of the lease left, anyone know the legal aspects of not paying any more rent? The lease has been broken by the landlord, i.e. the flat is not fit for human habitation under law.

Basically, with 6 months of rent not paid, will I be realistically subject of property re-possession to clear what I owe, how long would i take to get evicted, etc etc? Any info greatly appreciated ;).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i had a similar problem in my second year. our house had mouse and flea investations, plus weird mineral deposits in the kitchen, and had been pretty much condemned by environmental health. landlord was nowhere to be seen, and letting agents were a pain in the arse.

what we did was hook up with the student welfare department and got them to write a threatening (but knowledgable) letter, and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, we got some compensation. not a lot though. i think it was 2 weeks rent. better than nowt though.

so yeah. first stop - student welfare. they've dealt with this a million times and will know just what to do in any particular case.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i had a similar problem in my second year. our house had mouse and flea investations, plus weird mineral deposits in the kitchen, and had been pretty much condemned by environmental health. landlord was nowhere to be seen, and letting agents were a pain in the arse.

what we did was hook up with the student welfare department and got them to write a threatening (but knowledgable) letter, and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, we got some compensation. not a lot though. i think it was 2 weeks rent. better than nowt though.

so yeah. first stop - student welfare. they've dealt with this a million times and will know just what to do in any particular case.

We've had environmental health round as well and they've condemned various aspects of the flat.

2 weeks rent, sounds pretty lame, main problem is landlords who go through agencies so they have a barrier between themselves and the tenants :rolleyes: .
    What exactly is wrong with your house?
    Without sounding harsh, some people can be imaginitive and your house may just be a little run down. :confused:

Bopz
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Hmm, your post wasn't there when I started writing my reply :p

Go back to them. They do have powers that they can take against your landlord.

Another port of call is the Citizen's Advice Bureaux, who can advise you on your best course of action, and even support you through a small claims court case with your landlord if the worst does come to that.

Do not withold any rent until you have sound advice, because although your landlord has already broken the tenancy agreement, unfortunately tenants have far fewer rights than landlords do and you want to be squeaky clean if it does come to court.

Worst case scenario is that you refuse to move out at the end of the agreement and pay no further rent - the landlord would have to apply for a court order to evict you which could take a fair while. I'm not suggesting you do this by the way ;)

Not moving out isn't really an option at the end of the lease. Citizen's Advice, Student Services...the advice they give you will be to press the landlord/letting agency. Doesn't work, the tradesmen who occasionally get ferried up by the agency tell us NOTHING will basically get done. Taking them to court isn't worth it, too much effort.

The basic crux of it is: if i stop paying rent, how long will it take to get an evicton order sorted, and what's the chances of ending up in court?
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    What exactly is wrong with your house?
    Without sounding harsh, some people can be imaginitive and your house may just be a little run down. :confused:

Bopz

Had a shower this afternoon, downstairs it was raining in their kitchen. Back door doesn't open/lock properly. Door to living room doesn't have a handle/is falling off its hinges. Winds circulate throughout the place even with windows shut. Shower floods and blocks. More than a bit run down :p .
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Best thing for you to do is hotfoot it straight down to the CAB. They will not just simply tell you to get in touch with your landlord etc. They'll help you give proper notification to your landlords of your concerns about the house, and what you intend to do about it (that would be taking them to court, not witholding rent!). Taking them to court is actually quite simple, and if Envirnomental Health have already condemned the house then it should be even simpler. If you can't be bothered with doing all that then you'll have to be prepared to face the consequences of not doing things properly.

The consequences of which are (if you know)?

Let me put it this way. Taking them to court could be done, but...its been suggested by someone who rents property himself that witholding the last 6 months of rent as the most fruitful method. Basically i'm looking to keep as much money as possible without getting called up to court myself, or having my stuff repossessed as debt re-payment. Whether or not a channel is proper doesn't bother me.