Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Why? is school so pointless, I learn wat i will never use,
I know ther has to be more to life then this, but the beuocracy behind it is crushing me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "School is pointless" - because it has to cater for a lot of different people who want to do a lot of different things, as well as providing a foundation for anything you want to do in the future.
    I used to think school was crap and pointless when I was there, but it gets better - wait until you are 16 and you can do whatever you want.
    What do you really hate about it?
    Don't be so quick to say you will never use what you learn.

I'm guessing from your spelling that you're not English? If that is the case then you've learnt to write in English far better than most people in this country learn to write Spanish. I bet you learnt that at school.
    dan, this is why people like you and me leave school and go do things that intrest us, like my music and your films.

it won't be too long before you never have to go back to that place again......infact will you ever have to go back from now on??

i'm sure film school in india or new york or what ever far flung place you end up at will be good.
    My spelling is crap, because i have dispraxia, it has left me with a spelling age of a 11 year old.
    But at the same time i have a different way of thinking.

School turns people into machines, it churns out more people for the rat race. I think if u know what u want to do, u shld be able to go ahead and follow it, take ur own risks. Society would be much better if we all wher happy at what we wer doing.
    Originally posted by oscuroD
    School turns people into machines, it churns out more people for the rat race. I think if u know what u want to do, u shld be able to go ahead and follow it, take ur own risks. Society would be much better if we all wher happy at what we wer doing.

No it doesn't.

You are only 14. Stop talking about things you know nothing about, and stop pretending that you are mature and adult. You're not.

So go back to those books and shut the hell up.
    wat the fuck u on.
    And if u bothered to look at my age, u asshole, i havnt been 14 for a while, what are u, some mindwipe facist shell which does what the world tells u.
    mindwipe facist shell

thats one for the sig kermit :D
    And if u bothered to look at my age, u asshole, i havnt been 14 for a while

Fine, 16 then.

Like I care.

what are u, some mindwipe facist shell which does what the world tells u.

I know you're dyspraxic so I'll be kind, but

What.
    The.
    Fuck.

I have a job, which is what I presume you mean by "doing what the world tells you". Because, you know, "a passion for writing" doesn't pay the elctricity bill at the end of the month.

Which is what I mean by stop talking about things you know nothing about.

As NaCN said, go and write questionable poetry instead. And see how long it is before the bailiffs come round and cart off your telly.
    whats ur problem man, for one thing why are u on a student forum if u havea job, and another I would rather die then live a mediocre life in some suburb of some city, u can have bronze but im going for gold. Also fuck off ur boring me now.
    whats ur problem man, for one thing why are u on a student forum if u havea job, and another I would rather die then live a mediocre life in some suburb of some city, u can have bronze but im going for gold. Also fuck off ur boring me now.

hey dude, for one thing, chill out. secondly, yes i feel the same, i would rather die than have a 9-5 desk job. but, you do still have to get by. which is why i've had to branch out and get lots of different skills so i can do different things.....so, ok i might end up being a runner for a while, or the girl who makes the tea, but i will get some money in and i'll be happy.

and also: kermit is a fountain of info.....don't fuck him off, because it's just not a good idea.
    I dont meant to fuck him off, but the hostility is so in ur face, i dont like being called a 14 year old, its insulting, also he is critizing my way of thinking, but i will be the bigger man, and say, sorry kermit for all the hostility.
    but i will be the bigger man

well, dan prove it....because atm, you are being a bit of a twit.
    i dont like being called a 14 year old, its insulting

don't act like one then.
    But at the same time i have a different way of thinking.

no, we all thought that when we were kids, and we all had grand plans to be superstars and rock musicians and bestselling authors. but you get to a certain age and realise it's not going to happen.

and you also realise there's no shame (gasp) in having a 9-5 desk job because it means you can pay your bills and put food on the table, and that in itself is something to be proud of.
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    i would rather die than have a 9-5 desk job.

I've had a 9-6 job before in a health centre filing medical files and filing medical letters. Yes it is boring but it's not that bad.

Still not my cup of tea but at least I have an excuse for saying I wouldn't have a 9-5 desk job.

At the end of the day I walked out of there with £40 in my pocket, an MP3 player on the way to me (I ordered it before I left) and the satisfaction that I had done a whole week's work and hadn't given up.

I'm currently doing the same thing again because they need help again. Only 2 hours after school now but at least I'll have a bit of dosh for X-mas.

Don't knock a job. It's a living. Have your aspirations, but remember that to get to the top you have to start at the bottom.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    no, we all thought that when we were kids, and we all had grand plans to be superstars and rock musicians and bestselling authors. but you get to a certain age and realise it's not going to happen.

bitter?

you really know how to disade people don't you?

in my opinon, if you really want something enough and you put all you effort into getting it then you will. it's very unlikely that a qualifyed sound enginer/music producer is going to go out of a job for long. the same with people working in TV. they start off as runners, then they get bigger, better jobs.

and i'd rather do something i love and be happy as hell but skint, then have loads of money, in a dead end job and miserable.

a musican will never go hungry as i am constantly told.
    bitter?

about?
    it's very unlikely that a qualifyed sound enginer/music producer is going to go out of a job for long. the same with people working in TV. they start off as runners, then they get bigger, better jobs.

both stupidly competitive industries. especially TV, but sound engineering is getting that way. more people than jobs = lots of hungry people.

i'm not saying you can't have dreams, or that you won't get there. you might. but loads don't, and you need something to fall back on.

also this i-would-rather-die-than-have-a-nine-to-five-desk-job attitude gets old very fast. especially when there's a lot of people here that don't have a choice, because they have financial responsibility, and take whatever job they can get, 9-5 or otherwise, cause they can't afford to be fannying around with a passion for writing while getting everything handed to them on a plate.
    bitter?

Realistic.

Nothing can stop you from siting there and dreaming about celebrity or some super-job where you work for 2 minutes a week doing the thing you love, but for 90% of people that ain't gonna happen. There's nothing wrong with saying that, it's just how life is.

The people replying in this thread aren't just replying to spite you and the other guy, they are replying because they have been there and done that already.

And to be fair I think a lot of producers and stuff spend most of their time doing other jobs, because only the top x percent are in work.
    I wish I worked 9-5, I wouldn't miss Neighbours everyday! :p
    Wow i feel so loved, so many replies.
    Well anyways im feeling calm now so i will post my veiws in a more sophisticated manner.
    9-5 jobs are not what im going against, in fact if my father had had a 9-5 job, alot of the bad bits of my life would never have happend, what im really against is the manner in which people surrender themselves, "we are all mad of stars" as the great moby once said. My real problem is i am afraid that it will happen to me, that i wont accomplish my dreams, so dudes, im a man of peace, a little less hostility and lets voice are veiws in a civilised manner.
    No-one is being hostile.

They're saying why statements like, and I quote, "school [is] so pointless" are stupid, immature and wrong. Not that the person stating them is.

Ambition is great, but ambition has to a) be realistically placed and b) you have to work damn hard for it. And that starts at school, instead of whining about how school doesn't teach you anything "useful" you get on with your work and you LEARN.

And as kaffrin's brother is a lighting engineer for the big Arena concerts, I'd say that she is qualified to talk about these jobs are realistic, but not for people who won't work hard and aren't prepared to stick at it. And, of course, for people who simply aren't good enough.

I have a passion for football, it doesn't mean I can play it.
    whats ur problem man, for one thing why are u on a student forum if u havea job, and another I would rather die then live a mediocre life in some suburb of some city, u can have bronze but im going for gold.

I've been on this website years. I've just graduated from Durham University.

I've got a job because, like, I need to pay the bills. The food on the table doesn't buy itself, the computer doesn't run itself and the car on the street doesn't drive itself. That's what life is about, and until you have been there I'd suggest you shut up about "mediocre" lives because YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

Also fuck off ur boring me now.

Seems like I was being optimistic about your mental age.
    man im not dissing ur life, im dissing the fact that ur being so hostile, right from the beggining uve been saying my veiws wher wroung, uve been the one dissing my life, what i wrote was mainly a reply, so im sorry for offfending u in anyway.
    Also im saying that the british curiculum has certain holes in it thats all
    Here's a point for you to consider: David Beckham is well known to be incredibly stupid and illiterate, as far as I know anyway. What would have happened if before he made his big break he had an accident in a car and had to have his leg amputated. He get's nothing.

At the end of the day there will be a billion hurdles in your way, and there's probably going to be a lot of times where you won't see the point in anything. But if you've got more options open to you then you're more likely to succeed in at least one of them. My goal isn't to 'be' anything, all I want is to have a home in a meadow surrounded by trees, on a little hill with a stream running at the bottom, with my nurtured orchard that produces lemons, oranges, apples, pears, whatever.

Getting there is easy, the problem is what to do once I get there. Every path you can take in life could be represented by a mountain - but when you get to the top the only other places you can climb to are other mountains. But if you just want to be at the top of one mountain you might not get there because there will be obstacles, and you're going to be climbing it with hunderds of thousands of others all wanting to get to the top.
    Also im saying that the british curiculum has certain holes in it thats all

The british curriculum is actually quite good, the schools that teach them are crap. At my school, GCSE English coursework has to be in by the 10th of december or they wont accept it. This seems a bit silly, since they have till the 1st May next year to give it to the examining board.

The only criticism I have with the British Curriculum is it's not very consistent in that GCSE learning doesn't leave you at a good point for A Level learning, but that's being addressed.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    At my school, GCSE English coursework has to be in by the 10th of december or they wont accept it. This seems a bit silly, since they have till the 1st May next year to give it to the examining board.

It makes perfect sense. It takes about three months to mark a piece of coursework, as it has to be marked about five times by different teachers to make sure the grade given is right.

GCSE learning used to leave you at a good level for A'Level (before Curriculum 2000), it gives you a basic grounding for the mroe advanced work, just like A'Levels give you a basic grounding for degree work. Though I will admit it was a shock going from As and GCSE to getting a D for my first A'Level essay :lol:
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It makes perfect sense. It takes about three months to mark a piece of coursework, as it has to be marked about five times by different teachers to make sure the grade given is right.

It's just the strictness, say you were ill that week they wouldn't accept it, even though it's not an 'official' deadline. And anyway, last year the deadline was April, they said they've brought it forward to keep 'pressure' on the students so they think it's really urgent and get it in sooner when the courses are still fresh in their minds. I guess it's fair to a degree but they are playing about with the student's minds a bit and making them panic, when I confronted a teacher about this she was very rude to me. *shrugs*
    man im not dissing ur life, im dissing the fact that ur being so hostile, right from the beggining uve been saying my veiws wher wroung, uve been the one dissing my life, what i wrote was mainly a reply, so im sorry for offfending u in anyway.

Sorry if I've come across hostile, I was trying not to be.

I think ambition is great to have, that isn't in dispute.

I think you are wrong about school being "useless", to be honest, but that's because I have more life experience. The facts you learn at school stay in school to a large extent, but that's not what you learn. You learn SKILLS.

Take trigonometry, for example. The skills you learn from that (spatial awareness, logical thinking, follwoing logical rules accurately) are what is valuable, not the fact that you know how to draw a triangle. It's hard to see that when you are learning at school, but five or six years down the line it becomes clear that is what has happened. It's the same with history, in "real life" nobody cares if you remember who Louis XVI was, but people do care about the skills that a course in history gives you (such as learning how to quickly deduce the relevant information from lengthy evidence).

Basically I don't think you are "wrong" per se, but I do think you are being hopelessly naive.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    It's just the strictness, say you were ill that week they wouldn't accept it, even though it's not an 'official' deadline.

I seriously doubt that, to be quite honest. They would be very mardy about it, but they would accept it, because if they didn't your course grade would suffer.

And that's bad for the old OfSTED ratings:)

I guess it's fair to a degree but they are playing about with the student's minds a bit and making them panic, when I confronted a teacher about this she was very rude to me. *shrugs*

Teachers are rude when kids try and tell them how to do their job. Which, I guess, is fair enough.

Making them panic is good life experience, harsh as it sounds.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I seriously doubt that, to be quite honest. They would be very mardy about it, but they would accept it, because if they didn't your course grade would suffer.

And that's bad for the old OfSTED ratings:)

Teachers are rude when kids try and tell them how to do their job. Which, I guess, is fair enough.

Making them panic is good life experience, harsh as it sounds.

I see your point :) though if it was up to me I might try a more 'soft encouraging' approach, but that doesn't work in a lot of people's cases. A good boot up the backside is what's needed.