Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tipping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you guys tip over there???
because everytime i serve a european table.... they give me tiny tips......

Comments

• Options
    10%, if that? Service in the UK doesn't usually warrent even 1%...
  • Options
    depends, i don't tip too often.
  • Options
    The UK aint really big on tipping, its kinda old fashioned and reminds me of posh restaurants and hotels.

I tip about a fiver at pizza hut, thats only because a good friend of mine works there :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    I tip about a fiver at pizza hut, thats only because a good friend of mine works there :p

I'd be thinking about a free meal rather than tipping then :p
  • Options
    hmm... what do servers make over there??

over here we only make 2.65 an hour.. so all of our money comes from tips.... and i noticed that europeans don't really tip or they don't tip well and i know that in france and germany waitressing is a career so gratuity is already added in and they go to school and stuff for it...
  • Options
    It depends, 10% is the rough standard, but it really depends where you go.

Posh places expect it, I normally go for about 10-15% ish, maybe a little more if they were good.
  • Options
    Depends where I am and what the service is.

Unless the service is good I don't tip- I've already paid enough for the meal, ta.

The situation over here is different, in that restaurants actually pay a wage.

The stingiest tippers are the Yanks over here.
  • Options
    I rarely tip as I just about about pay for whatever I'm buying never mind adding more to her/his wage.
    Yes, I'm a cheap git. Me brother is always on my back about that, but I don't care. haha

Guys at my work would usually make 30-60 quid on tips behind the bar. Student night; they're lucky to get a tenner.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Depends where I am and what the service is.

Unless the service is good I don't tip- I've already paid enough for the meal, ta.

The situation over here is different, in that restaurants actually pay a wage.

yanks are taught that you dont' really have to tip over in Europe...

i am a damn good waitress... but this is what i've discovered...

All white, american people, that i have served, have tipped a minimum of 20%... the largest tip i have received was 50%

All asian people tip 15%

All white, european people tip 10-15% (generally 10% was the more popular tip percentage)

Black people who have worked in a restaurant before will tip 20%.

Ghetto black people will give you 2 or 3 dollars...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    hmm... what do servers make over there??

over here we only make 2.65 an hour..

Is that even legal? Thats barely even half minimum wage! I always tip at least 15% cuz I know I hate my job so I assume waitresses do too so I'm nice about it all.
  • Options
    It varies regionally within the UK I think…

In London some places automatically add 10% for service, that’s rarer elsewhere in the UK except if there’s like 8 people.

If it isn't already added though I always tip 10%.

Round here not many waiters/waitresses earn less than £5/hour + tips.
  • Options
    I tend to tip about 10%, just out of courtesy I guess, although I know that for waitresses/waiters in the UK, they're not relying on tips, as they get a full wage. The Europeans you're serving probably don't realise that their tip is supposed to be part of your wage...
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    Is that even legal? Thats barely even half minimum wage! I always tip at least 15% cuz I know I hate my job so I assume waitresses do too so I'm nice about it all.

yeah.. it's legal.. only for servers
    min. wage over here is 5.65
    so for servers it's 2.65.... that's why we rely on tips as our income... b/c with taxes and everything... that 2.65 turns into 2.
  • Options
    Exactly, serving staff are somewhat exempt from minimum wage because it is seen as a given that they receive tips on top of that.

That does NOT apply in the UK.
  • Options
    Europeans expect staff to be paid a wage, and don't see why they should pay for the food then pay the waitress. Service is included, unless you go to one of those twatty restaurants dahn sarf.

And even if it's not, service is at 10%.

10% is about a fair tip, I aren't the waitress' employer.
  • Options
    Restaurants always seems way cheaper in America than here anyway so having to leave a bigger tip isn’t that much of a big deal.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Yes but at the same time, I don't want to pay for shit service. If I receive good service from whoever is serving me then I'll tip very generously but I don't like the fact that I am expected to subsidise somebody's wage whether I think they deserve it or not.

If someone is making very few tips maybe it might be because they have an attitude problem rather than the fact that people are stingy.

but the thing is.. as cocky as this sounds.. i am a damn good server...

it's only europeans and ghetto people who don't tip well....

if i gave shit service i would know and i woudln't expect money...
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    I The Europeans you're serving probably don't realise that their tip is supposed to be part of your wage...
    I certainly never knew that. but then, I've never been to the USA.

I very rarely tip. I expect to pay whats on the bill and nothing more.
  • Options
    Europeans don't like uncertainty, and most have no idea what to tip.

The simple fact is that most Europeans believe there should be not reason to tip, because you should be getting a decent wage in the first place.

$2 after tax is like barely £1.20 per hour here.

I always wonder if the 12.5% service charge we get added to some of our bills even goes to the people serving and even then can't see the point in it all, why not just increase the price of the food and drinks by 12.5%???

Also food here is pretty expensive, when I've been to the USA or Canada you get a lot more food for your money.

I think Europeans believe if you're working on any kind of commission then you're not being genuine.

BTW Do you have to declare to the tax man how much money you get in tips or does that go straight in your pocket?.. I can't see how the US could allows such low wages in the first place!!
  • Options
    I always tip as I've worked behind bars for a couple of years now. I mean tipping fifty pence won't kill ya and it's always nice for the staff. You can be having a really horrible night and a tip will make the difference... After all whilst barwork has it's pluses it also has its down points. The thing is some days are great and some are shite...

And being paid minimum wage for working hard in unsociable hours sucks ass. Most barworkers aren't entitled to overtime, or told about any unions. So yeah, I always tip as some people gotta work 42 hours a week just to pay the rent, taking shit of drunk lowlives and people bitching that they've been waiting 30 minutes for a meal when it's been ten.

Some barworkers do have a shit attitude, but others don't. Some people work realy hard and are nice as pie... Yet still people are too tight to even say 'thankyou' sometimes... Funny as well cuz you'd think it was the people with money to spare that tip... In my experience it tends to be rougher people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

I totally disagree with that, spending the summer working in the tower i met loads of different people from loads of different countries and 90% of the best tips came off americans.
  • Options
    My sister is a waitress at Old Orleans. She's on less than £5 an hour, but makes about £70 a night on tips.

I generally don't tip though, I can barely afford to pay for a meal out, let alone pay for a tip as well. lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    ill usualy give a tip for my hairdresser or having my nails done, not if im eating though, usualy its not exceptional service and i never did when i was a waitress i think in my 4 months doing it i recieved less than a tenner (not just me, none of us did) anyway when you tip the money dosent go to the chef, just the person who bought it out. i would if i was somewhere posh and i usualy ask the bar people to have one themselves if there nice enough and dont have an attitude problem