Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

There is some modules/parts of degrees that you never like

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
There is some modules/parts of degrees that you never like.

For Example:
I am studying Software Engineering. Software Engineering is the design, coding, implementation and testing of Software (for those whom did not know).
Some of the modules that I am required to do (to pass the course) are not anything to do with the mentioned areas. For example REQUIREMENTS SPECIFICATION!!! I absolutely hate the subject, its kind analysis, but not all of it, its how to write a specification document about what sort of happens now, what may be good in a future system but the main things is writing about what people want... it has nothing about the proper analysis (e.g. going around the system, analysing whats going on, asking questions etc etc) its just a pile of pants!!!! Now what does this have to do with Software Engineering?? fair enough we have to know how to read the document, but it doesn't require a whole semester long module about it.

This semester is bad for me, another module called Data Structures is OK, but its a bit easy and I often get bored of it... what makes it worse is the programming language is Pascal. yuk, pascal is horrid. The only module I like in this semester is Systems Programming which is all about C Programming, Linux and Unix. Bring on the better modules next semester I say!

Anyways, my main objective of this thread was for you people to say which modules/units/parts of your course/degree/other which you really dislike and explain why.

I have had my moan, now time for yours.... :)

ciao for now...

... Daniel
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We have a student section you know?
    I would say this is a student post, I am just having a little moan basically. and I want to try to find out what people hate about courses.
    I think this is a better place for it than a student section.
    Re: There is some modules/parts of degrees that you never like
    Originally posted by ultimatewisdom
    what makes it worse is the programming language is Pascal. yuk, pascal is horrid.

umm, i hate pascal as well
    Analysis and Design is a great substitute for sleeping pills.

I hate it too :)

It's necessary, though. :|
    Re: There is some modules/parts of degrees that you never like
    For example REQUIREMENTS SPECIFICATION!!! ... Now what does this have to do with Software Engineering??

I do Computer Science (which is basically software engineering just with a bit more maths). I also work for a company that do alot of system implementation and design. A requirements specification is a MAJOR part of software engineering. Without one, projects are guaranteed to run over time, over budget and not be what the customer wants. Its one of the major steps. Very important, without one, you're screwed.
    I would say this is a student post, I am just having a little moan basically. and I want to try to find out what people hate about courses.
    I think this is a better place for it than a student section.

We'll see. :)
    Re: Re: There is some modules/parts of degrees that you never like
    Originally posted by TinyTitch
    A requirements specification is a MAJOR part of software engineering.

:yes: I agree, I suppose I am a typical programmer, I love to do programming and analysis but the whole specification part doesn't appeal to me, I want to know what its about but I dont want to do spec writing as a job. It doesn't help that the classes are terribly dull.
    you're right, they are boring as hell but there is no way around it. and unless you get into a large company with seperate programming and analysis teams, you will end up doing both.

I work for a programming company, we manage some large pieces of software for a large travel company (not allowed to release any more info than that), but we only have 10 employees. We all help write the specs and do the analysis and build the software.
    hmmm *disagrees move from anything goes to student*

(I think because this is a large subject, about many things it shouldnt be in the Student section... most of it seems to be about computing so far, but hey whatever.... please continue with my question of hated modules/units/parts of degrees/courses/other - [other may include work])

;)

Daniel
    I do think this belongs in the Student section mate.
    Quite frankly I'm disappointed.
    There is some modules/parts of degrees that you never like.

and
    (for those whom did not know).

Grammar such as this is disgusting for someone at University.
    :lol:
    Originally posted by Kath2003

After being awake most of the night and travelling on the bus for about 2 hours to hand in an assignment before 8:59am and coming back (and still not sleeping...

I dont care about grammar, or what people think of it.
    plus I blame my secondary school for not teaching english properly.... stupid schools in kent.

and also, i am a software engineering student and programmer... we don't need to know about grammar... we need to know about syntax.

:p :wave:
    I had always thought that grammar is important no matter what your job title - surely everyone needs to be able to communicate?
    Originally posted by Kath2003
    Quite frankly I'm disappointed.

Its an internet message board, not a dissertation. Its not like his whole post was written in text talk.

I dont always punctuate properly on here, yet I do in all my essays.

Really, leave him alone about the grammar thing.