Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

chances of getting kicked out of college for not attending

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i can never be bothered to go in, they have already given me one warning. but im doing all the work. i much prefer working from home.

what do you think the chances are of getting kicked out? can they really kick you off the course for doing the work at home? has anyone actuallly been kicked off a course.

im in year 2 of 2 of my course. although last year i got an E
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly, if you don't go in, and have been warned, you can expect to be kicked out. It's a given, especially if you were expected or are intelligent enough to do better than an E.

People can get kicked off, they have no responsibility to keep you on it if you don't work for it.

Secondly, this should be in student.
    Okay. First off, yes, you could be kicked out.

Second, college is about more than just the work. It's about preperation for later life.

Yeah, you like to be at home? woo. Lots of us would like to work from home all the time, but you can't always do it. Just like when you leave college and get a job they will most likely expect you to actually make the journey to work every day. Shock and horror!

In essence, start going in. (Or enroll on a correspondence course)
    cheers, dam sorry i didnt see the student section, surely if the works getting done ok they cant just say see ya later. ive got alot on my mind lately and need a bit of space if you know what i mean
    If you have a good reason you need to tell them about it. Otherwise you will be kicked out mate.
    no good reason i guess, ive just been feeling a bit run down lately
    Not to be harsh mate, but join the club. Either you can tell them, and see what they say, or you can go to college.
    also ive got a bluddy assignment thats got to be in soon, and to be honest i could get alot more done at home. but then im treading on thin ice at coll
    Originally posted by badtaste
    also ive got a bluddy assignment thats got to be in soon, and to be honest i could get alot more done at home. but then im treading on thin ice at coll

Hmm, everyone has assignments though, and my guess is that the rest of your class with assignments are still going in to college.

You don't need to produce excuses for us, but to be honest if, when your college ask you in to discuss whey you haven't been attending you say "well I've been a bit down and I had an assignment" then they probably will kick you out, yes.
    sometimes i often have to wonder if questions like this are seious not only that your answers are
    "im feeling abit down lately"
    Join the rest of the world, unless ya win the lottery your gonna have to make effort and make something or your life and you will have to earn it, by skipping college all your doing is getting into a bad routine
    .matt
    When I arrived in college to start my second year, I suddenly decided I couldn't be bothered turning up for lessons. I don't know why, my mind was in a terrible state back then. When the lecturers eventually caught up with me, I had to explain what was happening and apologise for my wrongdoing. They allowed me back in, and no more was said.
    I very nearly failed my 2nd year HNC for not attending all the classes but it was mainly a project based year with all the lessons mingled into 1 big project, I got some shit of the teachers but when I produced the work that i'd done at home and in spare time at work they was ok about it and I passed with very good grades.
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    I very nearly failed my 2nd year HNC for not attending all the classes but it was mainly a project based year with all the lessons mingled into 1 big project, I got some shit of the teachers but when I produced the work that i'd done at home and in spare time at work they was ok about it and I passed with very good grades.
    dude you had the same ali g suit i had amazing....ok totally off topic but im just surprised
    .matt
    Re: chances of getting kicked out of college for not attending
    Originally posted by badtaste
    i can never be bothered to go in, they have already given me one warning. but im doing all the work. i much prefer working from home.

what do you think the chances are of getting kicked out? can they really kick you off the course for doing the work at home? has anyone actuallly been kicked off a course.

im in year 2 of 2 of my course. although last year i got an E

Eek they did this to me, because i missed a few lessons, well to be honest it was probably more then a few, but i was trying my hardest to do all the work and was getting behind with it and ended up not going to lessons, stupid i know. but they kicked me out or warned to for a while and were more concerned about there attendance records then me passing the course.
    maybe you should talk to your teachers and explain your doing alot of your work at home because you find it easier and see what they can do about it from there :)
    if you are not attending then you are missing out on critical elements of your course, home study or no.

as GWST has said you are missing out on alot of tutorial support, and also if they can't see you working then that wont reflect favourably on you.

The college you are at will have a vested interest in having people in lessons related to funding and pass rates. With your track record of E last year, you aren't in much of a position to argue your case.

If you are finding academic study a slog, why dont you speak to your careers advisor at college OR try here Connexions .

The worst thing you can do is nothing; either try and start going to lessons (VERY ADVISABLE) or look for something else that interests you.

You COULD try an Open University course or similar home training scheme, but alot of people find completely independant study VERY hard and it requires an extreme amount of personal discipline.

My upstairs neighbor has been studying with the OU for 10 years and got no where.
    I got kicked out of college for missing one day a week every week.
    I got kicked out of college for missing one day a week every week.

when/where was this (if you dont mind me asking :confused:) ?
    Originally posted by intrigue
    dude you had the same ali g suit i had amazing....ok totally off topic but im just surprised
    .matt
    It was a fancy dress night with all my footie team, I won £10 for it :D
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    when/where was this (if you dont mind me asking :confused:) ?
    It was 1994 I think and it was at the colchester institute, clacton site. I was doing the HND in general art and design, but id left home and was getting income support and my money came every wednesday. my bus for college left before post office opened so I could either wait until the weekend to cash my cheque or i could take wednesday off. I guess I could have made my own way there after getting my money but I never did.
    Shit excuse but that was my reason.