Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Saturday Jobs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had no experience...and I'm only 16...I just went in and asked and I got it.

Try toy shops, you get to play with the toys all day :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    Try toy shops, you get to play with the toys all day :)

just wait til the pre-christmas rush. you'll wish you were anywhere but there ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    just wait til the pre-christmas rush. you'll wish you were anywhere but there ;)

I have a feelign there won't be a major rush, this is freeport we are talking about! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by kakarrot
    I have a feelign there won't be a major rush, this is freeport we are talking about! :D

You'd be surprised...

But I don't care anyways. I :heart: my job, and the people I work with, it's great.
  • Options
    ahh young enthusiasm, you'll end up despising it my dear!

my first job was in the co-op supermarket when i was 16 on the deli counter! i actualy liked it, nice to have things to munch on when your at work, i got about £60 a week :)
  • Options
    Ah saturday jobs....I worked for Boots for nearly 2 years when I was at university, left when I went for my year abroad and on coming back to England I didn't want to crawl back to them because when I was back at home during Christmas and Easter (for 2 months) my Germany they didn't got in touch once, even though I bounced into the store to say I was availible for a few weeks if they needed any sick/holiday cover etc. I thought that was a bit shoddy really considering the flexibility etc. I had shown them when I worked there proper.

So during my final year I earned extra bits of money through student ambassador work and did a few internships for the Labour party and for an MP the summer before and after, so I have been out of the retail loop for about 2 years. But after having spent a fruitless summer after graduation trying to look for part time jobs to combine with my part-time masters, I decided to go full time with my new course and have started looking for Saturday work again.

It seems that now, despite my experience at Boots nobody wants me :( I've applied for 4 retail xmas jobs, only got one interview (from MVC) and they didn't even bother to contact me and say I haven't got the job! (I presume I haven.t got it - it's been nearly 4 weeks). I get the feeling that because I'm the grand old age of 22, they all prefer to employ 16 year olds who they don't have to pay the proper minimum wage to, and seeing all the internships in my work experience, they're maybe striking me off because I obviously am not aiming for a career in retail and so wouldn't be as dedicated. Bullshit. I need the money so of course I'd be dedicated!

Sorry for the rant, it's just a bit depressing that no one minds me doing work for free (ahem, Labour Party, MP) but when it comes to jobs with wages I'm obviously not worth paying..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Meryn
    I get the feeling that because I'm the grand old age of 22, they all prefer to employ 16 year olds who they don't have to pay the proper minimum wage to

:yes:

i would imagine so. or at least under 22s, so they don't have to pay them adult minimum wage.

retail is horrifically paid anyway. i'd advise whoring your soul out to a call centre. most of them pay almost double what you'd earn in a shop. and the hours are pretty flexible
  • Options
    Meryn, kaff's right.

At your age you won't get retail unless you get into retail management or sometrhing similar.

Call centres or data entry is what you want to be looking at. Look at a few temping agencies, there's always loads of temping jobs and call centres are always after staff.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin

retail is horrifically paid anyway. i'd advise whoring your soul out to a call centre. most of them pay almost double what you'd earn in a shop. and the hours are pretty flexible

Yeah, Call Centres tend to be flexible and often well paid.
  • Options
    If you get in a good call centre you can be very very well paid.

Still, I'd hate to work in some, like at BT where you have to put your hand up to be allowed to go to the bog.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Still, I'd hate to work in some, like at BT where you have to put your hand up to be allowed to go to the bog.

yeah, but i spoke to someone working in a BT customer contact centre (not sure if he was on the phones) getting £11 p/h.

for that kind of money i'd let them come with me.
  • Options
    £11ph?:o

I think I agree with you there.

Though I didn't realise they were that desperate for staff.
  • Options
    i have just read that back and i think i may be talking about british gas.

duh.

but yeah, anyway, british gas customer advisors start on about £7 an hour, which is still not to be sniffed at, and it only gets better. bonuses and stuff too, which you hardly ever get in retail.
  • Options
    Calling out call centre staff quite often get bonuses and commission of sorts.

It's why they're hard-selling scum.

Oh well.

I know NHS Direct pay very well :yes:
  • Options
    Calling out call centre staff quite often get bonuses and commission of sorts.

It's why they're hard-selling scum.

I get a lot of commision but I'm not 'hard selling scum'? Then again I'm not out bound either :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    I get a lot of commision but I'm not 'hard selling scum'? Then again I'm not out bound either :p

You're notoutbound, it makes a lot of diffence.

If someone rings you, they want a car;)
  • Options
    If someone rings you, they want a car;)
    Not strictly true - you get morons who just want a chat or silly bastards who hang up, or those that just ring for something to do in their sad little lives and have no intention of booking but just serve to be as akward as possible.
  • Options
    Do you ever get mucky calls?

Some of them sound midly amusing.
  • Options
    Do you ever get mucky calls?

Some of them sound midly amusing.

It has been known on occasions - we also get a few dirty emails and faxes of peoples arses. All part of the job.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Do you get suicides though? :(

Thankfully not.

*hugs*