Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Autism

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Thing is yeah, maybe somebody who was autistic committed a crime... But you get people with mental illness... homosexuals... drug addicts... men in suits... all sorts committing crime.

thats my point though, there not punished the same way and in some way they're special needs become an excuse if they didnt know what they were doing then tough shit, its still caused misery and they should be kept off the streets just like any other criminal

and ive known very intelligent dyslexics, they often excel in other areas like sports or science
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    thats my point though, there not punished the same way and in some way they're special needs become an excuse if they didnt know what they were doing then tough shit, its still caused misery and they should be kept off the streets just like any other criminal

They shouldnt be punished in the same way becuase they ARE different weather you like it or not. Yes if they are a danger then they should be kept of the street and put in a specail unit. But whats the point in putting them in a place where they are not going to learn that what they did was wrong? Normal prisons dont have the facilities to deal with mental disabilities. It would cause more harm than good.
    Harm was caused and thats bad, but the guy still has rights.
    They have to keep to their routine.. they dont like change. e.g. change to their daily plans.

They find it hard to talk and tell people how they are feeling etc... They might have some sort of twitch or movement which they do nearly all the time.

Some even have a 'special gift' it might be with maths, drawing, anything... ever seen the film 'Rain Man'? Watch it..!:yes:
    BTW, I had Aspergers as a child.. but now have over come it... I think its mainly a confidence thing. I used to be terrible around new people, always hid behind my mum etc. That was just one of the problems.

I still arent completely free of it though- I get nervous here and there when it comes to presentations and new people, but not as half as bad as I used to.

I also always did this thing with my teeth all the time- people must have thought I was a right werido but it just was a normal thing to me lol.. half the time didnt even know I was doing it.
    Originally posted by Zella

Harm was caused and thats bad, but the guy still has rights.

my last word on the subject as its getting old and havent been around

that guy killed someone, took away a life- to me he dosent deserve 'human rights'

argue that or not whatever, all im saying is those two kids have caused immeasurable amounts of suffering, the shouldnt be wrapped in cotton wool for it, if it had been me or someone without learning difficulties they would have been sent straight to prison. it should be one rule for everyone.

and im not singling out one group, i have many woes with the justice system and how different groups are treated