Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is wrong with me?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have an essay in tomorrow which is worth 40% of my whole module mark. So far today I have woken at 1.45pm, watched neighbours, watched doctors, drank tea, pissed around on the internet and written the title. Go me. Why cant i work?!?

also my sister is coming up tonight, which means i really need to get this finished soon.....

motivate me!

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    cant love, sorry.

i suffer the same and theres no known cure. but ill try

Its like ripping off a plaster, just huff and puff yourself up and then throw yourself into it. Unplug all distractions, diconnect the doorbell, shoot the cat, whatever. All you have to do is get over that first hurdle of actually starting it, and you're away.

Its harder than it sounds:) :D
  • Options
    there's far too many distractions nowadays, it's like "i'll start at 5 after i watch this" then something clah comes on or you listen to music or something stupid, next thing you know it's 1 o clock, then you say you'll definately do it tomorow and the cycle continues.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My permanant failiure. It annoys me greatly. One piece of Geography coursework was due on Monday, still haven't started it - haven't been to college so I can avoid it.
  • Options
    Re: What is wrong with me?!
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    I have an essay in tomorrow which is worth 40% of my whole module mark. So far today I have woken at 1.45pm, watched neighbours, watched doctors, drank tea, pissed around on the internet and written the title. Go me. Why cant i work?!?

also my sister is coming up tonight, which means i really need to get this finished soon.....

motivate me!

How about unplugging the internet, switching off your mobile phone and throwing the tv outta da window?

just a thought :D
  • Options
    motivate me!
    - Unfortunatly, nobody can do this except you!
    It sounds as though you would rather do absolutly anything else except get this done; honestly, I think we all do this to some extent from time to time esp. when the task in hand is, perhaps, not very pleasent. However, if putting off your work consistently affects your college work, you need to think about, and get to the bottom of WHY don't you want to do it?!
    - Do you think, may be it's because the assignement "is worth 40% of the module mark" that it feels overwhelming to get started? How do you feel generally about your subject and in yourself? The only way you can really help yourself with this is to 'bite the bullet' and get it done! Do something... anything on your essay... NOW! and don't stop if you find it difficult - even if you say to yourself you will just write a paragraph every hour - at least if you break it down into smaller chunks it might seem more palatable, and eventually you can get it done.
  • Options
    otter is right... you are the one who can motivate yourself...

but you can use anger =) it works for me :p

i mean.. my father is too childish and selfish... you may not believe but... he becomes happy when I get bad marks... so...... I work for them to be good :p

take a shot ;) good luck!
  • Options
    Are you actually me in diguise? I have one due next Monday worth 45% of one of my modules that involves reading two books and comparing them. I havent even opened the books. They keep looking meaningfully at me from my bookshelf though :chin:
  • Options
    I've never had any motivation, so i can't really help you there! It's ok if you're good at working to deadlines though... are you?!
  • Options
    "I love deadlines, I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly past".
    Famous Douglas Adams quote :D

I m the worlds worst when it comes to not getting motivated, hopefully ill be a better when I start college this time round.:D
  • Options
    i have this problem to. and i need to make it stop because i handed in an assignment late on friday, and ive never done that before

if anybody discovers a cure please tell me!

( i have another due this friday so sooner rather than later please :))
  • Options
    I've always had this problem, but I used to be able to get work in on time (even if it meant getting up the morning of the due date and working my arse off!)

However I am getting worse and worse at not actually getting things in on time. I used to be lazy, yet care about it, now I'm lazy AND apathetic.....
  • Options
    I have this problem too.

I find the only way to make myself work is to get my books out at the same time as watching daytime TV, so I do a bit of both. It's not as productive as working in silence but at least you get SOMETHING done...

I find it makes me feel I'm not missing anything important on telly (as if!) and also that I'm not subjecting myself to intense boredom of working at the same time. It's kinda like the best of both worlds!!

If I sit down to work with silence I won't do anything, I'll doodle on my pad, push it away with disgust and tell myself I'll start working tomorrow...
  • Options
    I have no motivation to start my essay. Yes it's not due in until the 22nd of nov, but id rather get it out the way, cos i've got other work to do to... I know which essay i want to do, and which of the three bits of choice i want to write about... I've writen the title but that's as far as i've got... the text books around me are starting to stare acusingly at me... :(